Booking a room with an AP

allsaintsatx

DIS Veteran
I recently got my first WDW AP, and I'm a little confused about booking a room, because I've booked so many room packages in the past and that's all I'm used to!

Is there such a thing as an AP room package? Does the WDW site consider my AP as a "ticket" and do I get the perks of a room/ticket package? Like a magic band and luggage tags? Most importantly, can I book fast pass reservations at 60 days? TIA!!:goodvibes

When you go to the WDW site log in to My Disney. When you go to the reservations page you can see special pass holder room rates. The site will know you have an AP. You will be able to get new magic bands every time you book a room. And you can book FP at 60 days.

Make sure to check for AP discounts on rooms. Some of them are really good. Enjoy your AP and make sure to ask about AP discounts for all dining and merchandise sales. They aren't offered everywhere but it never hurts to ask.

I recently got my first WDW AP, and I'm a little confused about booking a room, because I've booked so many room packages in the past and that's all I'm used to!

Is there such a thing as an AP room package?

Yes. With an AP you can book what's called a "ticketless package". You would need to book this way in order to purchase any of the Dining Plans.

But if you don't want to purchase a Dining Plan, then you can book a room only reservation.

Does the WDW site consider my AP as a "ticket" and do I get the perks of a room/ticket package? Like a magic band and luggage tags? Most importantly, can I book fast pass reservations at 60 days? TIA!!:goodvibes

All of those perks are available even if you book a room only. Those are not perks for packages only.

Last edited:

Is there such a thing as an AP room package? Does the WDW site consider my AP as a "ticket" and do I get the perks of a room/ticket package? Like a magic band and luggage tags? Most importantly, can I book fast pass reservations at 60 days? TIA!!:goodvibes

Welcome to the WONDERFUL world of room only reservations. Your days of packages are over - and that's a good thing! You can do a ticketless package for things like adding a dining plan, but many folks will do room only reservations.

When you book, just look for room only reservations. If an AP discount is available for your resort/room type/dates, it will show up as an option towards the top of the screen (along with other current discounts) assuming you're logged in and you AP is linked to your account.

Some of the bigger differences in room only reservations vs packages...
- you pay a deposit of the first nights rate at the time of booking, the balance is due upon arrival
- you can cancel with a full refund up to 5 days before check-in
- you won't get the stuff that comes with packages, like the mini golf coupons, etc.

You get all the perks. 180+10 ADRs, 60 day+ FPs, etc.

Nothing to worry about. Book away!

You can book an AP room and dining package online. I just did it a month or so ago. You can book FP if your AP is linked before the 60 days. It does not need to be activated yet, but the voucher linked. Otherwise you will have the standard 30 day window, if you don't buy it ahead of time. You always get magicbands with a room reservation. I don't yet know if you get luggage tags or the other magical extras associated with the Magic Your Way packages (I haven't had my trip yet with the room & dining).

If you book room-only with your AP, you will not get the fun plastic luggage tags (not the yellow ME tags. Everyone gets those). If you want the fun luggage tags but do not want the dining plan, what you need to do is call. Let them know you are a passholder so you don't need tickets but are still deciding on the dining plan (they don't need to know if you have already decided against it), so you would like to book a Basic Package. This gives you the option of adding the dining plan later (if you want), and it will get you the luggage tags. At least I am 99% sure of it. I have a basic package booked for October, and guest services (not just the phone reservations CM) told me yesterday that it does include luggage tags. I can post with an update in a few weeks if you'd like.

Yes. With an AP you can book what's called a "ticketless package". You would need to book this way in order to purchase any of the Dining Plans.

But if you don't want to purchase a Dining Plan, then you can book a room only reservation.

All of those perks are available even if you book a room only. Those are not perks for packages only.
Thanks! Got worried when I saw the next 30 days of FP available, which made me think that would be my only option!

Welcome to the WONDERFUL world of room only reservations. Your days of packages are over - and that's a good thing! You can do a ticketless package for things like adding a dining plan, but many folks will do room only reservations.

When you book, just look for room only reservations. If an AP discount is available for your resort/room type/dates, it will show up as an option towards the top of the screen (along with other current discounts) assuming you're logged in and you AP is linked to your account.

Some of the bigger differences in room only reservations vs packages...
- you pay a deposit of the first nights rate at the time of booking, the balance is due upon arrival
- you can cancel with a full refund up to 5 days before check-in
- you won't get the stuff that comes with packages, like the mini golf coupons, etc.

You get all the perks. 180+10 ADRs, 60 day+ FPs, etc.

Nothing to worry about. Book away!
Thanks! My $200 deposit days are over! :laughing: I'm actually kinda glad, never did like being forced to pay in full 30 days before I even left! That way I can also pay my balance in cash at check in if I wanted to. Been paying for WDW vacations on credit for so long, I almost forgot you could pay any other way! :rotfl:

If you book room-only with your AP, you will not get the fun plastic luggage tags (not the yellow ME tags. Everyone gets those). If you want the fun luggage tags but do not want the dining plan, what you need to do is call. Let them know you are a passholder so you don't need tickets but are still deciding on the dining plan (they don't need to know if you have already decided against it), so you would like to book a Basic Package. This gives you the option of adding the dining plan later (if you want), and it will get you the luggage tags. At least I am 99% sure of it. I have a basic package booked for October, and guest services (not just the phone reservations CM) told me yesterday that it does include luggage tags. I can post with an update in a few weeks if you'd like.

Thanks!! As of now, i keep adding new tags each trip, and leaving the old ones on, so the top of my suitcase is kinda looking like this: :rainbow:
I was wondering down the road, when these luggage tags eventually fall off or get knocked off by one of the airport luggage handlers:goodvibes, would I have to ~GASP~ buy a Disney luggage tag? I guess not!

When you go to the WDW site log in to My Disney. When you go to the reservations page you can see special pass holder room rates. The site will know you have an AP. You will be able to get new magic bands every time you book a room. And you can book FP at 60 days.

Make sure to check for AP discounts on rooms. Some of them are really good. Enjoy your AP and make sure to ask about AP discounts for all dining and merchandise sales. They aren't offered everywhere but it never hurts to ask.
Thanks! Tried that and it works! Now that I can "see" the AP discounts I feel like I'm part of some sort of secret club! Do we have a secret handshake? :teeth:

That's great! And that's new. Thanks for the update.
Actually, not new. Well, depends on how you define "new" Been that way for at least a year. About the time they started making it easier to book ticketless packages on the phone, whenever that was. But only shows up if you add an AP room only to your cart

Actually, not new. Well, depends on how you define "new" Been that way for at least a year. About the time they started making it easier to book ticketless packages on the phone, whenever that was. But only shows up if you add an AP room only to your cart

Thanks. This was the first I had seen anyone mention it here.

Is there an AP discount on the dining package for these "ticketless packages?"

Is there an AP discount on the dining package for these "ticketless packages?"
Nope. The only thing it offers is AP holders the ability to book the dining package without having to call. Dining Package is full price

Nope. The only thing it offers is AP holders the ability to book the dining package without having to call. Dining Package is full price

So, I'd need to compare cost of undiscounted Dining Plan to what I think I'd spend by getting 10% off at TS restaurants. Yay, another thing to consider. :)

So, I'd need to compare cost of undiscounted Dining Plan to what I think I'd spend by getting 10% off at TS restaurants. Yay, another thing to consider. :)
And another thing to consider, AP holders can purchase a Tables in Wonderland card. That's what we do

And another thing to consider, AP holders can purchase a Tables in Wonderland card. That's what we do

Lots o' math going on here. Doesn't AP get me 10% on most TS whilst TIW gets me 20%, but then factor in the $150 cost of TIW vs a regular Dining Plan vs trying to pay for dining using Disney GCs that I got discounted from Target or Best Buy using Swagbucks that I got on my cell phone whose bill I pay with a credit card that gets me points?

Holy Sheesh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!