Booking across 2 UYs and Multiple Reservations

disneydad7281231

Earning My Ears
Multiple questions here. My UY is Feb. and our new contract does not have points until 2025. We are planning to start our trip Jan 25th 2025. We are currently debating Sat-Sat (1/25-2/1) or Sat-Sun (1/25-2/2)

So the questions:

If I book Sat - Sat now I would borrow and be done with it. If I then decide I want to add Sun should I just make another reservation for that one night or modify my reservation to Sat-Sun?
I was playing around and when I went to book Sat - Sun it told me I must call MS to book across 2 UYs.

My other question, if you are staying at the same resort and have to waitlist and end up with 2-3 reservations all back to back, will Disney recognized this as one reservation and give you the same room or do you have to call and merge them or something?

Lastly, is waitlist only if you don't currently have a reservation? Can you have home resort booked and waitlist a different resort or does this put you at risk of having two reservations?

Thanks!!

I'm going to try to help! The way I understand it, if you have a reservation that spans from one UY into the next, MS must handle the reservation - it can get complicated with the 'borrow' potential for the reservation. Once you have the reservation set, I honestly don't know if you can do the modify (to add a day) yourself via modify, or if you again need MS. I'm sure they can answer that for you if/when you set up the initial reservation with them.

If you end up with multiple reservations at the same resort with the same room type, you can call/chat/email MS to have them merge it into a single reservation so you don't have to change rooms. It usually takes a couple days until you get confirmation.

Be careful with waitlist. If you book at your home resort, for example, for 7 days - but you'd like to stay at another resort for the last 3 days, and would like to waitlist just those 3 days - I'd recommend you set up 2 separate reservations at your home resort - one for the first 4 days and one for the final 3 days. Then you can waitlist the last 3 days. If it comes through, the reservation will change automatically through the DVC reservation process. If it doesn't come through, you can later cancel the waitlist and have MS merge the 4-day and 3-day reservations back into a single reservation at your home resort. You do not want to have a 7-day reservation at your home resort, and then waitlist 3 days someplace else during that same time period. You could be in jeopardy of losing your entire initial reservation, having it replaced with a 3-day reservation.

I hope most of this makes sense!

I'm going to try to help! The way I understand it, if you have a reservation that spans from one UY into the next, MS must handle the reservation - it can get complicated with the 'borrow' potential for the reservation. Once you have the reservation set, I honestly don't know if you can do the modify (to add a day) yourself via modify, or if you again need MS. I'm sure they can answer that for you if/when you set up the initial reservation with them.

If you end up with multiple reservations at the same resort with the same room type, you can call/chat/email MS to have them merge it into a single reservation so you don't have to change rooms. It usually takes a couple days until you get confirmation.

Be careful with waitlist. If you book at your home resort, for example, for 7 days - but you'd like to stay at another resort for the last 3 days, and would like to waitlist just those 3 days - I'd recommend you set up 2 separate reservations at your home resort - one for the first 4 days and one for the final 3 days. Then you can waitlist the last 3 days. If it comes through, the reservation will change automatically through the DVC reservation process. If it doesn't come through, you can later cancel the waitlist and have MS merge the 4-day and 3-day reservations back into a single reservation at your home resort. You do not want to have a 7-day reservation at your home resort, and then waitlist 3 days someplace else during that same time period. You could be in jeopardy of losing your entire initial reservation, having it replaced with a 3-day reservation.

I hope most of this makes sense!
Thanks for the info!

So if you waitlist something and it becomes avalible it will automatically book/replace another reservation?

Another questions if I were to reserve a 1br and waitlist a studio and the waitlist goes through, do those points I save going to the studio just go into my account so that I can bank them or would I have to use those points within a certain time?

If you waitlist a reservation and it becomes available, it will automatically book or replace the original reservation. I believe when you set up the waitlist, you give your approval for that transaction to happen.

With your situation of booking across UY dates, I would recommend you contact MS to get clarification regarding what would happen to your points if you need less points than the original reservation. It wouldn't even need to be a studio - a 1BR at your waitlisted resort might require less points - same situation. I don't want to guess what might happen to your points and then you lose some. I have no direct experience with your reservation(s) across the UY barrier.

If you waitlist a reservation and it becomes available, it will automatically book or replace the original reservation. I believe when you set up the waitlist, you give your approval for that transaction to happen.

With your situation of booking across UY dates, I would recommend you contact MS to get clarification regarding what would happen to your points if you need less points than the original reservation. It wouldn't even need to be a studio - a 1BR at your waitlisted resort might require less points - same situation. I don't want to guess what might happen to your points and then you lose some. I have no direct experience with your reservation(s) across the UY barrier.
My questions about 1br to a studio was just general not across UY!

This trip we are doing Poly the whole time since it's our first DVC!

Thanks again!

If you waitlist a reservation that requires less points than the original, you would get the points returned to the UY of the reservation. If those points had not previously been banked or borrowed, you can bank them - as long as you haven't missed your banking deadline. With a Feb UY, if I calculate correctly, your banking deadline is maybe 9/30? If you have a Jan reservation, and you recoup points through a reservation change, it would be too late for you to bank - you'd have to use those points by 1/31. If you recoup the points earlier in the year, you can bank them (again, assuming they were not banked previously from the prior year, or not borrowed from the next year).

Clearer? More confusing?!

If you waitlist a reservation that requires less points than the original, you would get the points returned to the UY of the reservation. If those points had not previously been banked or borrowed, you can bank them - as long as you haven't missed your banking deadline. With a Feb UY, if I calculate correctly, your banking deadline is maybe 9/30? If you have a Jan reservation, and you recoup points through a reservation change, it would be too late for you to bank - you'd have to use those points by 1/31. If you recoup the points earlier in the year, you can bank them (again, assuming they were not banked previously from the prior year, or not borrowed from the next year).

Clearer? More confusing?!
Got it! Thanks again!

The reason MS has to book a reservation that crosses UYs is because the points eligible for each day are different. For example, the days in January 2025, which is in your Feb 2024 UY, can be secured with banked 2023, 2024 and borrowed 2025 (if you had all those points).

The days from Feb 1st on can be secured with banked 2024, 2025 and borrowed 2026 (if you had them). For that reason, MS has the ability to book using the different points which we do not via the online booking tool.

While I have never done it, I don't believe you can modify online for a trip that crosses UY's for the same reason. In terms of waitlist, you can waitlist to have it replace a trip but must set it up that way from the start. If you are worried, have MS help you.

As noted, if you borrow points into Jan 2025, those points will be stuck there no matter what happens with a waistlist....so, if you borrow for the 1 bedroom for those specific dates, and a studio comes in to replace, those points can't then be moved beyond Feb 1st.

Basically, you don't want to borrow 2025 points back into the 2024 UY for a room that will cost more points then you need, especially since you are traveling at the very end of the UY so there would be no other dates to use them up and would end up as a loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter