"Booking Fees"

bfamily5

DIS Veteran
Hey all! I have been doing my own air and package bookings since 2009, when the T/A we were working with was learning all kinds of new info from me :rotfl: I won a radio prize that consists of $1200 in gift cards from an agency here in NB. So I figured that would cover our airfare if I can snag a deal on SW out of PWM :surfweb: I went to our local agency, set a file up with copies of the passports and exchanged contact info until I find the deal and give my agent the go. Now she tells me there is a booking fee..... like ..what? :furious: almost $100 to book all 5 of us...is this common practice? I had considered "going back" to an agency but this really puts me off..

Unfortunately the majority of airlines do not pay commission so a number of agencies do charge a booking fee when it comes to air or else they would be working for free. If they are doing the service for free then they would not be able to pay salaries, taxes, rent, electricity, you know all that fun stuff that comes with running a business :)

Congratulations on winning your prize by the way.

Can you book the flights yourself to avoid the booking fees and get the TA to book the rest of the trip? The TA won't charge you for booking hotel, park tickets or rental car, for example. :confused3

Can you book the flights yourself to avoid the booking fees and get the TA to book the rest of the trip? The TA won't charge you for booking hotel, park tickets or rental car, for example. :confused3

I may do that - it was just more convenient to hand over the gift cards and keep the airfare "separate". I understand about overhead, etc, but really I am not having her do any work. I am doing all the price comparisons and research...she will just be making an online booking which takes all of 10 minutes... Just wasn't sure if this was normal industry practice.

I may do that - it was just more convenient to hand over the gift cards and keep the airfare "separate". I understand about overhead, etc, but really I am not having her do any work. I am doing all the price comparisons and research...she will just be making an online booking which takes all of 10 minutes... Just wasn't sure if this was normal industry practice.

It has pretty much become normal industry practise over the last few years. If you object strongly to this fee, then I agree with a PP. Pay for your airfare separately and book this part of your trip yourself. As you say, you don't have to do much extra work- it will take you all of 10 minutes and you have already done the research. Use your gift cards for the other parts of your vacation where they don't have to charge an extra fee.

Yes, it is usual now. As has been mentioned airlines pay nothing at all to TA's (except for a small amount of commission with Westjet) for their booking so it's part of doing business I'm afraid. Everyone's time is worth something, even if it's "10 minutes".

I understand about overhead, etc, but really I am not having her do any work. I am doing all the price comparisons and research...she will just be making an online booking which takes all of 10 minutes...

Rarely does a TA's work end after the booking is made. Would you work for free? No? Then why should she? :confused3

It will be her that you'll be calling if you have questions about the flight or if the flight is delayed/cancelled etc. :)

I just wasn't aware that this was a common practice..add to that the fact that she could not provide me with a website link to the policy. It would be charged on an air only booking so I am going to go ahead and let her book the WDW package portion of our land/sea vacation and apply the gift cards to that and I''ll book my air. It'll save me $100! I met with her today and laid out the plan - resort, dates, tickets, meal plan...I felt like I was handing over a baby to a new daycare - it was weird :lmao:

I'm glad this is going to work out for you. That's what we've been doing for years, having the TA handle the WDW portion, and getting the associated commission, and I've been booking the flight with the airline directly. When I have the flight booked I send her the flight info and she sends that to Magical Express. She gets the "Mickey Mail" and lets me know when it arrives and I drop by the office and get it from her. :thumbsup2

I just wasn't aware that this was a common practice..add to that the fact that she could not provide me with a website link to the policy. It would be charged on an air only booking so I am going to go ahead and let her book the WDW package portion of our land/sea vacation and apply the gift cards to that and I''ll book my air. It'll save me $100! I met with her today and laid out the plan - resort, dates, tickets, meal plan...I felt like I was handing over a baby to a new daycare - it was weird :lmao:

Link to what policy? Booking fee's?
Usually it would vary agency to agency. Sometimes even agent to agent.
There's no hard and fast ruling on it set down.

Air can take a lot of time...back and forth with the client and then coming to the actual booking. I am delighted actually when clients wish to book their own air because even a nominal fee isn't enough I'm afraid.

So for you--all ends well. That's good!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter