Booking Questions for DLH or GCH

socks4dobby

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I am looking for advice on booking at Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian. I am considering booking a family trip (2 adults, 2 toddlers) in May 2021. I've combed the threads quite a bit, but I didn't see a lot of recent posts that address my specific questions. That said, I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I'd appreciate any advice and thoughts you have to share. There's so much wonderful advice on these boards!
  1. How far in advance can we book hotel rooms at each resort (DLH and GCH)?
  2. If I book and the room rate goes down, can I call and have the reservation team adjust the rate without canceling and rebooking?
  3. I've read in the superthread that DLH has theme towers, but I am unclear on whether there are only suites and club level rooms there. Are there standard or pool view rooms in the towers?
  4. We have the budget to book above a standard room, but I typically don't think it's worth it to pay more for the same room with a better view since views are a low priority for us. The room's proximity to the park entrance is more important to me. Are there specific room types at DLH and GCH that are worth upgrading to in order to avoid a long journey across the hotel just to get out?
  5. We might bring my parents. Is it worth it to upgrade to a 2-bedroom suite? Booking 2 standard rooms seems more cost-effective, but wondering if anyone felt the suites had better amenities or better location options inside the hotel. We'll be coming back in the afternoons for nap time (~1pm-4pm).
  6. Whenever I look on the hotel website for suite availability, it seems like there is low inventory/2 bedrooms are booked. Is there an optimal # of days in advance to be looking for suites?
  7. Is it better to book online or call?

Hi everyone! I am looking for advice on booking at Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian. I am considering booking a family trip (2 adults, 2 toddlers) in May 2021. I've combed the threads quite a bit, but I didn't see a lot of recent posts that address my specific questions. That said, I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I'd appreciate any advice and thoughts you have to share. There's so much wonderful advice on these boards!
  1. How far in advance can we book hotel rooms at each resort (DLH and GCH)?
  2. If I book and the room rate goes down, can I call and have the reservation team adjust the rate without canceling and rebooking?
  3. I've read in the superthread that DLH has theme towers, but I am unclear on whether there are only suites and club level rooms there. Are there standard or pool view rooms in the towers?
  4. We have the budget to book above a standard room, but I typically don't think it's worth it to pay more for the same room with a better view since views are a low priority for us. The room's proximity to the park entrance is more important to me. Are there specific room types at DLH and GCH that are worth upgrading to in order to avoid a long journey across the hotel just to get out?
  5. We might bring my parents. Is it worth it to upgrade to a 2-bedroom suite? Booking 2 standard rooms seems more cost-effective, but wondering if anyone felt the suites had better amenities or better location options inside the hotel. We'll be coming back in the afternoons for nap time (~1pm-4pm).
  6. Whenever I look on the hotel website for suite availability, it seems like there is low inventory/2 bedrooms are booked. Is there an optimal # of days in advance to be looking for suites?
  7. Is it better to book online or call?
  • How far in advance can we book hotel rooms at each resort (DLH and GCH)? I think you will be able to book a room for May 2021 late summer or early fall. The hotel may be able to tell you when the booking calendar opens for your dates.
  • If I book and the room rate goes down, can I call and have the reservation team adjust the rate without canceling and rebooking? Yes. I have done this many times. If you would like to know past discounts and when they were announced check this LINK. It will give you an idea of what to expect.

• I've read in the superthread that DLH has theme towers, but I am unclear on whether there are only suites and club level rooms there. Are there standard or pool view rooms in the towers? I believe there are standard rooms in each of the towers. When my grandkids were small we liked the Fantasy Tower non-pool view, because we could see the fireworks from the room in the evening. We have been in the Adventure Tower with a DTD view and could see the fireworks too. But you have to be on one of the upper floors above the palm trees.
  • We have the budget to book above a standard room, but I typically don't think it's worth it to pay more for the same room with a better view since views are a low priority for us. The room's proximity to the park entrance is more important to me. Are there specific room types at DLH and GCH that are worth upgrading to in order to avoid a long journey across the hotel just to get out? For proximity to the Parks GCH is it. But if you don't get a room near the lobby, the distance can be almost like walking to the DLH.
  • We might bring my parents. Is it worth it to upgrade to a 2-bedroom suite? Booking 2 standard rooms seems more cost-effective, but wondering if anyone felt the suites had better amenities or better location options inside the hotel. We'll be coming back in the afternoons for nap time (~1pm-4pm). We have done two connecting rooms a few times at the GCH and it was just fine. This was our choice due to the cost factor.
  • Whenever I look on the hotel website for suite availability, it seems like there is low inventory/2 bedrooms are booked. Is there an optimal # of days in advance to be looking for suites? I don't have any insight regarding the suites.
  • Is it better to book online or call? I have done both. I prefer to book online and then call to confirm my reservation and add my special request(s). We like a top floor and one near the lobby.
Here are a couple of maps I have saved of the GCH from past threads Dis Memebers have posted.1586325023898.png1586325042230.png

@Geemo -- thank you so much for sharing! This is really helpful, especially the maps and advice on staying near the lobby.

We have the budget to book above a standard room, but I typically don't think it's worth it to pay more for the same room with a better view since views are a low priority for us.

If you end up at DLH you should give some consideration to getting a pool view room. Being able to look out at the monorail slides and the tiki torches just gives it a more Disney feel and more of a vacation feel. Our favorite is pool view in Adventure tower because those rooms feel the closest.

If you're interested in booking a suite, I recommend that you call. The complete suite inventory isn't always posted online. The 2-bedroom suite inventory is not large. At DLH, there is potential to make some 1-bedroom suites into 2-bedrooms by booking an adjoining room. DLH Themed Towers.... the towers themselves are themed in the lobbies, hallways and public areas. The rooms are not themed with the exception of the Signature Suites. If you want to book a themed suite, you should definitely call.

Now.... are suite perks worth it? Well, you actually have to pay extra to add Club Level access to your suite. The suites are really just larger rooms for bigger families without the Club Level added. So if Club Level perks are what you're after, it may be more cost efficient to book two Club Level rooms. What does Club Level get you? Access to the lounge (at DLH it's at the top of Adventure Tower with a great view of the parks) which serves snacks and beverages throughout the day.

As far as proximity requests, all rooms at DLH are pretty convenient, given that they're arranged vertically. Fantasy and Adventure have the closest walk to Downtown Disney - Frontier is a little further. GCH is more sprawling.... rooms located in GCH Expansion are further from the entrance to DTD and DCA, so if you're calling to request, you might as for a room located in GCH Original.

For larger party accommodations at GCH, consider also booking a DVC Villa. You can do this through Disney, or through an online timeshare rental, or by renting points from a DVC owner. For more information on renting DVC points, check out the DVC board - https://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-trade.29/

You ask about price adjustment if the rate goes down.... note that if you do book a suite or a room that doesn't have large inventory online, it's unlikely that you'll see the rate go down. There aren't as many of these rooms available, and they don't typically publish discounts. Another tip.... the standard view rooms usually get booked up first. When they offer discounts, it's typically on the more expensive Pool View or Park View rooms.

Last edited:
@LittleMissMagic -- this is exactly what I was looking for regarding the nuances of booking suites. Thank you for helping me understand how suites vs club level works and for all of your recommendations!

That's a great point about deals being offered for upgraded views. That is certainly a good reason for us to upgrade if it means we could potentially take advantage of a discount later and get better value and selection.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

We frequently book suites, as we need to sprawl out. Picking dates at random, a regular room is $586 a night so 2 rooms would be $1172. A 2 bedroom suite for the same time is $1264. 2 standard rooms with club level added is $859 each, so $1718. But if you add club level to the 2 bedroom it is $1539. Add before taxes (which are 17%.)

For us, the advantage of the suite is the space to have everyone in the living area without it being in our sleeping area. (I think there were 12-14 of us watching football this afternoon.)
155419_10202819815486857_971237781_n.jpg

@Malcon10t thanks for sharing! We also like the idea of having space to sprawl, especially since our toddlers will need to nap and it would be nice to have a separate space. It looks like your family is having a great time and the suite comfortably fits the group. Great point about club level -- looks like suites are the most cost-effective option if we want club level. Lots to consider!

If you end up at DLH you should give some consideration to getting a pool view room. Being able to look out at the monorail slides and the tiki torches just gives it a more Disney feel and more of a vacation feel. Our favorite is pool view in Adventure tower because those rooms feel the closest.

💯 this! We were upgraded at no charge by a very nice CM upon check in back in October from a standard view to a pool view, and it was awesome! We loved being able to see the slides, the pool, and the tiki torches. We were in the Adventure Tower! @socks4dobby

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter