Booking with direct and resale points with two different home resort

Mbenito

Earning My Ears
Do you get two dvc membership number if you have a direct and resale points in two different home resort? How hard is it to book a resort by combining points? What is it like to book a resort with a direct and resale points?

If both are the same UY they will be in the same contract and can be used/combined for a reservation at 7 months. Or each can book at 11 month for their own home resort. Direct and resale are the same for DVC stays.

Realize that if you have 2 different home resorts (as I do), you can not combine the points and book at 11 months. Many people think if I have 100 points at resort A and 100 and resort B, I can use all 200 at resort A at the 11 month mark, this is NOT the case.

Mine are titled differently and 2 different Use Years, so there is 2 account numbers.

If you get the same UY, and get them titled the exact same way, you should get one account number

Hi, it doesn't matter if your points are direct or resale (except for the obvious restrictions imposed on resale). Only thing that matters is your use year. If the points are on the same use year, they are attached to 1 membership number and booking is as simple as selected dates, resort, and then which contract(s) to pull points from.
When you have different use years you get different membership number and then it's a challenge as you must transfer points between memberships in order to comingle.

You need both same use year and same named owners as original contract to assure the resale contract will have the same member number. In that situation, the two contracts will be in the same online account and you will be able to easily combine the direct and resale points together for a 7 month reservation except to the extent the resale contract is prohibited from reserving a resort, e.g. Riviera.

If the resale points are for a different use year or you change any name of the owners, then the resale contract will receive a separate member number. If it is just a different use year, the contract for the resale points will show up in the same online account as your direct points but the two sets of points will be treated like you are two different owners -- different annual statements paid separately, different last possible banking dates, and you will not be able to combine them when making a single reservation. To use the points for a single vacation, you will either have to transfer points from one use year to the other, in which case they could be used together to make a single reservation, or make two separate reservations, using one use year to reserve the front part of the vacation and the other to reserve the back part, and then have the reservations linked so you do not have to change rooms.

If for any reason the identity of the owners are different, then, even if same use year, the accounts will have separate member numbers and separate online accounts. You can still transfer points from one account to the other and make a single reservation, or you can make two separate reservations and have them linked as long as persons identified as staying in the room are the same.

Along the same line of issues -- waitlists -- is it two waitlists per membership ID or total per account? ie have two different UY and 4 contracts (2 in each UY) will there be a limit of 2, 4 or 8 waitlists to use points?

Have only 1 contract currently, but 3 pending. Thanks!

“You can have up to 2 active Waitlist requests per Membership per Use Year.” -DVC

So, you should have a limit of 4 waitlists once you have the second UY. My situation is very similar & I’ve definitely used 3 of those waitlists at once, but I’ve never needed more.

Good luck with your new contracts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!