Borrowed points. Do I have this right ?

eeyoresmom

DIS Veteran
I have a Dec UY. In January, pre Covid, I borrowed 2021 points for a mid Dec week 2020. I may not be able to travel depending on the virus situation now. If I cancel, will these points go into holding and I have until Nov 30, 2021 to use them?

Your DEC 2021 UY points (which would have been good Dec 2021- Nov 2022) are now DEC 2020 - NOV 2021 points since they moved to that UY when you borrowed them. They aren't in holding but are now simply Dec 2020 UY points.

Holding gives you 60 days to rebook points when you cancel a reservation within 30 days of your check-in date.

I have a Dec UY. In January, pre Covid, I borrowed 2021 points for a mid Dec week 2020. I may not be able to travel depending on the virus situation now. If I cancel, will these points go into holding and I have until Nov 30, 2021 to use them?
Also, at least as of last week, DVC was still returning borrowed points back to their original UY. If you cancel, it's worth calling to see if they'll return your points to 2021 for you.

To avoid the holding rule you must cancel 31 days or more before arrival date, and points will go back into the account in the same state they are in the reservation (banked points remain banked, borrowed points remain borrowed, and regular use year points remain regular). If you cancel 30 days or less before arrival, all points in the reservation go into holding, including those regular points, and thereafter expire at end of the use year and can be used to reserve a room only at 60 days or fewer before date of arrival, something often difficult to do.

Therefore, if you cancel at least 31 days before arrival those Dec 2021 borrowed points will go back into your account as borrowed points which must be used for a trip that ends by Nov 30, 2021.

Currently, there are special Covid-related rules in place. The holding rule has temporarily been waived, meaning you can cancel within 30 days out and not go into holding. Also, borrowed points in a cancelled reservation are being returned to their original use year.

A problem with both those temporary rules is lack of definition and clarity. Those temporary rules have no stated end date or stated period of time in which they are even likely to continue, e.g., the possibility exists that those rules could still be in effect at 31 days from your arrival date but then, the next morning, 30 days out, you could learn that the temporary rules have been ended, and have all your points go into holding if you cancel . Moreover, there is lack of clarity as to what reservations the temporary rules apply to, e.g., that the return of borrowed points to their original use year actually applies to your Dec 2020 reservation and points borrowed from Dec 2021. In essence, you likely should not make assumptions based on the temporary rules in deciding when you should cancel or the impact of doing so.

Thanks everyone. Im leaning toward canceling very soon. The uncertainty at the holidays, in addition to me moving 6 weeks earlier is a bit much. May have to wait until spring.

I can tell you i made adjustments to a Dec trip last week that had borrowed points, and they were returned.

But, as mentioned, there is no set timeline of when it will end so making the decision sooner rather than later gives you the best chance to have the borrowed points put back.

Just so you are aware, if you do decide to cancel December and they put your points back you will only be able to borrow 50% of your points for a trip in the spring. Last time I spoke with DVC any points borrowed pre-covid 50% rule are grandfathered. However, if they are not tied up in a reservation they will be returned to their original use year. I had an issue with this after member services gave me bad information earlier this year and they wouldn't budge on it at all. If you're considering spring maybe call member services and move from December to spring and then they will put any points you don't need back into next year as long as you do this before they change the temporary rules.

Just so you are aware, if you do decide to cancel December and they put your points back you will only be able to borrow 50% of your points for a trip in the spring. Last time I spoke with DVC any points borrowed pre-covid 50% rule are grandfathered. However, if they are not tied up in a reservation they will be returned to their original use year. I had an issue with this after member services gave me bad information earlier this year and they wouldn't budge on it at all. If you're considering spring maybe call member services and move from December to spring and then they will put any points you don't need back into next year as long as you do this before they change the temporary rules.
This is what I recommend doing as well. Calling is key as any changes made online will likely change the grandfathered status and cause the new reservation to be subject to the 50% borrowing rule.

To avoid the holding rule you must cancel 31 days or more before arrival date, and points will go back into the account in the same state they are in the reservation (banked points remain banked, borrowed points remain borrowed, and regular use year points remain regular). If you cancel 30 days or less before arrival, all points in the reservation go into holding, including those regular points, and thereafter expire at end of the use year and can be used to reserve a room only at 60 days or fewer before date of arrival, something often difficult to do.

Therefore, if you cancel at least 31 days before arrival those Dec 2021 borrowed points will go back into your account as borrowed points which must be used for a trip that ends by Nov 30, 2021.

Currently, there are special Covid-related rules in place. The holding rule has temporarily been waived, meaning you can cancel within 30 days out and not go into holding. Also, borrowed points in a cancelled reservation are being returned to their original use year.

A problem with both those temporary rules is lack of definition and clarity. Those temporary rules have no stated end date or stated period of time in which they are even likely to continue, e.g., the possibility exists that those rules could still be in effect at 31 days from your arrival date but then, the next morning, 30 days out, you could learn that the temporary rules have been ended, and have all your points go into holding if you cancel . Moreover, there is lack of clarity as to what reservations the temporary rules apply to, e.g., that the return of borrowed points to their original use year actually applies to your Dec 2020 reservation and points borrowed from Dec 2021. In essence, you likely should not make assumptions based on the temporary rules in deciding when you should cancel or the impact of doing so.
Borrowed points in a cancelled reservation are being returned to their original use year? Do you have to call to request this? I just canceled an October vacation I made with points borrow from 2021 use year and DVC returned the points to my 2020 use year. I wonder if I will be able to bank these points after October 1st?

Borrowed points in a cancelled reservation are being returned to their original use year? Do you have to call to request this? I just canceled an October vacation I made with points borrow from 2021 use year and DVC returned the points to my 2020 use year. I wonder if I will be able to bank these points after October 1st?

As far as I am aware the return to original use year of points borrowed from 2021 is still the procedure being followed, but it can take a week or even more after cancellation before you see the points move back to 2021 in your account. If within 10 days, you see no change, probably call.

This is what I recommend doing as well. Calling is key as any changes made online will likely change the grandfathered status and cause the new reservation to be subject to the 50% borrowing rule.

The key to keeping those points borrowed and grandfathered is getting them into a new reservation before they can be put back.

So, if one calls, be sure to tell the CM not to do it or if you are saving them book a dummy reservation more than 31 days out with them to modify later.

They system does a sweep on Thursdays and catches a lot of them. Once back, then they are subject to the rule.

The key to keeping those points borrowed and grandfathered is getting them into a new reservation before they can be put back.

So, if one calls, be sure to tell the CM not to do it or if you are saving them book a dummy reservation more than 31 days out with them to modify later.

They system does a sweep on Thursdays and catches a lot of them. Once back, then they are subject to the rule.
Thanks for this info and advice!

I just recently cancelled my December CL trip made with borrowed points and was pushing the points forward to a fall 2021 trip. I had re-used 90 points on a room, had another 10 sitting waiting to be used... this morning (Thursday) I noted that only 5 of those 10 were still available for use, the other 5 got sent back to 2021. It's going to hurt our fall trip but at least they weren't able to take 50 points back. Dummy reservations. It's a 2020 thing.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter