Bought in the 1990s and it has worked out perfectly

jodifla

WDW lover since 1972
Wow. Just looking at today's room prices, DVC could not have worked out more perfectly for my family. I had not kept track of how much they had lept. Crazy.

We bought before kids, financed but paid it off quickly. We knew once we toured the rooms at Vero, Old Key West and Boardwalk that we were ready to move up from Days Inn rooms on 192 to regularly staying on site. We did not hesitate because we understood the prices would only be going up at that point. We caught the point where they had cut the minimum purchase to 150 points.

We have treated friends and family members to wonderful accommodations, one if the nicest perks of membership. And now the park pass deals and member events are a terrific bomus and well timed for our lives.

It is always hard to say how it will all be going forward. We have been disappointed by some of the changes. But the program and benefits so far have been very worth it.

And probably an interesting thing would be to look at what you paid for your price per point and what you could sell it for today. I envy those who were able to buy in the beginning and how much it has appreciated in value. I can't see that we would have that same appreciation as those who bought in the 90's -- could you imagine a price per point of 3-4 times what you paid in?

It truly is an investment in memories as that is what you are mentioning over the monetary aspect. So many people struggle and turn the process solely into a numbers game and lose sight of what it is really all about - fun times, family, and memories that last a life time, so it is worth the money that you are investing. I see my monthly DVC dues and I don't think twice about it because I know that is just a small contribution so we can have a wonderful next stay at WDW.

And probably an interesting thing would be to look at what you paid for your price per point and what you could sell it for today. I envy those who were able to buy in the beginning and how much it has appreciated in value. I can't see that we would have that same appreciation as those who bought in the 90's -- could you imagine a price per point of 3-4 times what you paid in?

It truly is an investment in memories as that is what you are mentioning over the monetary aspect. So many people struggle and turn the process solely into a numbers game and lose sight of what it is really all about - fun times, family, and memories that last a life time, so it is worth the money that you are investing. I see my monthly DVC dues and I don't think twice about it because I know that is just a small contribution so we can have a wonderful next stay at WDW.

We paid about $62 for our points. We took some heat at the time, because, you know, "Timeshares are bad."

Some of those very same people, though, have more than enjoyed their trips with us to Disney staying at DVC.

Wonderfully said! We first bought in 1999, & because of DVC, were still able to take vacations as a family despite job lay-offs and economic downturns. Financially, it was a wise investment (I researched, crunched numbers, and the end result was that we would pay less for a larger room than CM discount at a "deluxe resort", and I didn't need to stay with the company to get the better price).
Gifting vacations, as well as inviting others to join us has been amazing - there are so many wonderful times and opportunities that we would have most likely missed had we not purchased DVC (annnnnd added on 4 more times:blush:)
:goodvibes

Hey there sorry to intrude but my hsband and I are considering purchasing DVC in the next 3 or 4 years and I have some questions for long time owners/members. First of all, has the number of points required and the dues increased significantly in the last say 20 years? Today for example, a studio would cost me on average, anywhere from 10-15 points per night for low seasons. Is that comparable to the amount of points required in 1998?

Hey there sorry to intrude but my hsband and I are considering purchasing DVC in the next 3 or 4 years and I have some questions for long time owners/members. First of all, has the number of points required and the dues increased significantly in the last say 20 years? Today for example, a studio would cost me on average, anywhere from 10-15 points per night for low seasons. Is that comparable to the amount of points required in 1998?

I believe the minimum buy-in to DVC is currently 100 points. . .if you buy direct. One of the mainstays of the system is that overall points at a given resort can't change. They can shift points a little, but not change. For example, a week at a standard BLT studio during Adventure season is 102 points, during Choice 109, during Dream 123, during the Magic 139 points, and during the Premier season, it's 183 points. If Disney opted to increase that same room type to 185 points a week during the Premier season, then they would have to reduce one of the other four seasons by two points, say Magic down to 137 points.

As for dues, they do continue to rise each year, averaging somewhere in the neighborhood of 3%, though each year is different. Dues are a huge part of the cost of owning DVC, especially since they don't ever stop the life of the contract--they just keep rising. So, when you look at buying DVC, keep in mind that maintenance fees/dues will be with you like a bad penny.

You didn't ask, but it's worth mentioning, but buying resale is usually a much better deal than buying direct. Yes, you miss out on some perks, but none of them are worth (even collectively) paying several thousand dollars or more if you go the direct route.

We bought in 1992 (Old Key West) and built on with other contracts over the years. Prices are too high now for me to justify any additional points. I think ours worked out perfectly too! All paid off, many happy years of memories with family and friends. It was a good time way back then and obviously a great investment.

I remember thinking that I couldn't imagine room prices getting so high that DVC would truly be a financial plus. We more did it for the prepaid vacation angle and to stay in larger accommodations. Now I would be hard pressed to afford Coronado Springs.

I totally agree with your sentiments! During tough economic times and illness it was hard thinking I might have to sell it. We’ve enjoyed it so much, sharing it with friends & family the last 20 years, it’s gone by so fast. I don’t regret a minute of it, DVC is one of the best things I did for my family and it continues on, just in different ways. My DVC ownership has been able to evolve, just I've had to evolve from a Mom w/ a 2 yr old to a Mom w/ a soon to be 22 year old in college. At one time I wanted more points but I'm glad I held steady, I can afford the maintenance and that's important. I could never afford DVC at today's prices.

We bought in 1997 and agree that we’ve gotten excellent value over the years - it’s the best thing we’ve ever done for our family! I do want to point out though that the $62.50 pp we paid (after incentives) is roughly the equivalent of $95-100 now. So although we could sell for a profit now, it wouldn’t really be 3-4 times what we paid ;-) !

The points charts for each resort have to remain pretty stable, as @sleepydog25 explained above. But if you compare resorts you’ll notice that points needed for a given villa size have increased with each new resort - for example, compare the cost of a studio at BCV with one at VGF and Poly. That’s another reason that buying resale at an older resort can be a good idea - your points go farther! (Note also that CCV’s points chart is similar to BRV’s, an exception to the pattern.)

Quite a 'sweet spot' was buying a resale only a couple of years ago. In my view they were underpriced. If you nipped in before the 25 point minimum for perks, even better. In 2 years you have seen the price climb by around 30%.

As others have noted, buying DVC has wound up being a well-used and appreciated luxury for us. My wife and I met via Disney, first vacationed together at Disney, got married at Disney, and have enjoyed many special moments at Disney all thanks to DVC. We could never have enjoyed all those moments without DVC. Current buy-in prices are far too steep for us to consider buying any add-on points, even resale, and for those buying in down the road, I wish the best for them because one thing is for sure--no matter how wonderful our experiences have been, they haven't come cheaply! pirate:

There is no time like the present. The prices will continue to go up and up. We bought our resale contract back in 2012 for $49 a point (no current year points at the time). We were in the black after a few vacations even including maintenance fees. Speaking of maintenance fees, you have to remember those will end up dwarfing the initial buy in costs.

As for dues, they do continue to rise each year, averaging somewhere in the neighborhood of 3%, though each year is different. Dues are a huge part of the cost of owning DVC, especially since they don't ever stop the life of the contract--they just keep rising. So, when you look at buying DVC, keep in mind that maintenance fees/dues will be with you like a bad penny.
3% is roughly in line with the average inflation rate for the last few decades (90's, 00'ss, 10's), so at least is isn't astronomical increases. I would imagine that if inflation increased that the dues would probably rise to match, since they have to pay for materials and labor.

We are retired. We bought in 2003. It’s been thoroughly wonderful, truly. We last added on, direct, 25 points SSR in December 2017.

We like to relax a bit now at WDW. That means staying a night or two in a Cascade Cabin. So far, 7 months booking has been OK. Thankfully! We do not own at CC. I would hate to have to sell VWL for CC, but we will if must. ( I am not sure Tom agrees with me about that. However this year’s CC has happened, we will see after we try to book for 2019.)

Last edited:
We bought in '93.
As all PP are stating it is a great investment; I could sell now and more than double my money even after 25 years of vacations. Aren't timeshares suppose to go down in value (LOL).
We paid for all our points in cash, use them how we want even offsite, as that is what we want to do that year.
Being free to enjoy all the resorts and offsite locations has allowed us to vacation in ways we could not of done so without DVC. We would not pay to go to some places(IE: DCL, Asheville, Ft. Lauderdale, etc) that we have done.
The family and friends that we have treated to vacations is still a great value points usage especially for gifting (Parents - anniversary trips, Adult Kids - trips with DGKs and family vacations, Friends - get away that they could not afford on their on, etc).

We purchased in 1992. Not one regret. Especially when I glance at the prices for the monorail hotels now. Our first WDW trip was in 1981. We stayed at the Contemporary and had a blast. It spoiled me for anything else, but we did begin to book at the moderates through the years as prices steadily rose. So DVC was a great decision for us. We purchased another contract at BLT and have enjoyed that as well. I remember the marketing brochure for BLT “Stay at Your Palace Near The Castle”. What can I say.... Disney (and DVC) had me at “hello”. :love:

I bought in 1999 @ $65. There’s no way I would be buying at today’s prices. With a purchase incentive, I paid $14,750 for 250 BWV points. I can’t imagine $40,000+.

My only regret - I wish I would have split the 250 into 150 + 100. Then when VGC opened I would have sold the 100 and bought 100 there. When I look at the VGC price now, I wish I would have bought 100 anyway.

I originally bought it for my mom and I and when she passed away in 2005, I considered selling. I went on a solo trip for “one last time” and realized on the last night while walking on the boardwalk that I couldn’t do it. I go with friends or solo trips now. A DVC member friend and I are splitting 5 nights at the Poly in 2 weeks.

I brought in 1993 - after being talked out of it in 1992 - then took everyone on a vacation to POR - had to pay for 3 rooms and 6 tickets plus all the meals - when I came back home and added up the price - it was silly. In the next mail DVC wrote me to stay that they had lower the points needed - so call them and nobody talked me out this time.

that was back when we got free tickets - it was wonderfully!!!

now recently sold OKW to get BLT - so lost half my points doing that - and now since I live close to WDW giving the points that I have to family. and boy is that hurting - but they will use them.

that say I have kept a few points and will be at BLT this Dec!!!! love WDW during Dec. We had done Dec before buying DVC but it always feels better to come home to a studio/1-2-3 bedrooms, than a hotel room

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter