Breakfast: Kona Cafe, Cape May Cafe or Garden Grill?

love Cape May breakfast! underwhelmed by Kona breakfast. Haven't had Garden Grill breakfast, but love their lunch and dinner

I have not had good experiences at Kona and I think GG and CM are close (both good to very good), with GG having the advantage of getting you right on Soarin if you have a PPO ADR. We also love Chip and Dale, whose only restaurant appearance is at GG.

I haven't eaten at Cape May, but have at the other 2. I really enjoyed Kona Cafe. The atmosphere was relaxed and the food was good. There were more interesting choices as well. The main entree at Garden Grill is just your typical powdered egg scramble, tater tots, meats, and mickey waffles. However, the sticky bun is delicious and they offer salsa from tomatoes grown on site and chocolate sauce for the waffles. So, overall, I think Kona has better food because its made to order and has more options.

Well Cape May has the distinction of being one of the few restaurants in WDW that we have never tried. Like Kona a lot but we usually do a PPO breakfast at Garden Grill every trip. The place is small so the girls usually see the characters 2 to 3 times a meal. You don't miss anyone because the food is brought to you and we eat and then head down to Soarin and Living With The Land on standby. That way we get a good meal and save a fast pass for something else.

Only have been to Cape May and Kona Café. If you are paying OOP Cape May will be double the cost at least. It's a buffet with the regular offerings, and maybe a few special ones (blintzes stick out in my mind). The characters are super cute in their bathing suits. Food was very good quality, but I never get my money's worth at a buffet so when they bring the bill I always have regrets.

Kona's service can be brisk and almost rude. Food is fine, but the menu is limited. FWIW, if I'm staying in the MK area I love to go to Kona for my last morning breakfast.

I read the thread title & thought 'All Three!'

But you just asked about food, so hmmm.

Of course if you want AYCE &/or characters, then Cape May or GG. Could be used for a 2 meal day.

If you want quieter, more intimate GG for sure, then Kona.

If its a park day & you don't want to spend gobs of time commuting to & from a meal, then GG is best, next would be walking to Cape May.

If you have small kids or large party where you don't want to be up & down at a buffet. Then Kona or GG would work.

For overall experience & ambiance my ranking would be first GG, then Cape May, then Kona (but still really enjoy Kona).

I guess you can see from my response that it comes down to so much more than 'best food'. Lots of other considerations go into the pick. But all are solid picks. Enjoy!

Sorry but I dont think Kona Cafe is anything special. I love the food variety at Cape May AND at Garden Grill. They're both equally delicious in my opinion. I'd give a slight edge to Garden Grill because its family style...and of course chip & dale. But also, you get to hop on to Soarin' right away if you time your ADR just right. :)

Just here to add a vote for Kona! I'm sad to hear not many previous posters have enjoyed it, because I have to go every trip. Mimosa flights, french press coffee, tonga toast, macadamia nut pancakes.. I'd go right now if I could :)

I'd say it really depends on what your plans are for that day. That's always a big factor for me, personally I love Garden grill, if you book it first thing you can be done in time for opening and jump right on Soarin' without a fast pass! This gets you a little further into the park at opening which is never a bad thing.

Garden grill it was nice because food is brought to your table family style and you have different characters than just the standard minnie/mickey. Chip and Dale are always great!

Cape May is nice, buffet style. A lot of the same food that garden grill has plus some extra options. Down side is you aren't in a park so you get a later start if you're wanting to hit some rides without fast passes.

It really depends on what you want to do! We usually seize every opportunity to grab big rides early before fast passes so we try not to book a breakfast away from the Park for most of the days we are there.

Definitely Cape May... did Minnie's Beach Bash on Wed and loved it. Good food and characters went around the room multiple times.

Had Kona this morning and it was a bit of a letdown, but had to try the Tonga Toast for the first time.

I wanted to love Kona, but the way my server treated me (paid only the scantest attention to me as a solo but dawned all over duos and groups in her section - acted like she was annoyed I was there when she did interact with me) really turned me off.

I have been to Cape May and love it! Have not been to Garden Grill, but I plan to in September!

Garden Grill is one of our favorites for breakfast. We have eaten at Cape May Cafe, too, but don’t like it as much as Garden Grill.

Kona has my favorite breakfast - pineapple macadamia nut pancakes. Then I would say Cape May and las GG. I liked all three but to me GG is just standards breakfast fare while the other two have more varied options

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter