Breastfeeding in the parks

tj2002

Momager of 3
Ok, this fall will be my first time having to breastfeed in the parks on vacation. My two boys were both formula fed, so this is all new to me. I know there are baby care centers in the parks, but I also realize that it won’t always make sense for me to split up from the family and trek it all the way across the park just to feed the baby. What places have other moms found that work? I’m guessing I should try popping into a quick service restaurant and then find a secluded chair somewhere? What tips do you all have for me?

I breastfed everywhere. I rarely used the baby care centers just because they were out of the way. Any slow ride or show usually works, especially if it's dark and you want more privacy...I'm pretty sure I've nursed on every slow ride and show at all of the parks.

Adding that things like People Mover, Carousel of Progress, Pirates of the Caribbean, Spaceship Earth, Nemo, Haunted Mansion, and the Frozen Sing along were some of my favorites just because they're a bit longer and they're dark for some privacy.

Any dark ride. My sister breast fed in the Hall of Presidents, and the Carousel of Progress, that I can remember.

I would think in the Magic Kingdom the Country Bear Jamoboree would be good, in addition to the above. If you are not that worried about having to hide, the area down by Splash would work, lots of places to sit.

In Epcot any of the movies would work. Living with the Land too. There are plenty of benches and out of the way spots, I don't think you should ever have to hike to the baby care center.

I agree with the PPs. The babycare centers are really nice but are not always convenient.
The dark rides are always good as well as the shows.
You'd be surprised how many places you can find that are a little secluded.
Also I'm sure you realize this but you don't have to "find" a special place. Wherever you are is appropriate. I never felt comfortable doing it in a busy area, but you will see plenty of moms doing so.

Also I'm sure you realize this but you don't have to "find" a special place. Wherever you are is appropriate. I never felt comfortable doing it in a busy area, but you will see plenty of moms doing so.

Yep, this is true, too. No one seems to bat an eye. You'll see moms feeding everywhere out in the open. My most interesting place feeding was standing in line at Pirates. I think most people probably just thought I was holding a baby while walking along in line. No one said anything and I didn't notice anyone looking at me, either.

I am not a mom, or even a woman! I'm a middle-aged male who's wife breast-fed our children many years ago. It is mind-boggling to me that this is even an issue - why does anyone have a problem with a mother nursing a child? If you don't like it, move along. It's natural, extremely good for the child, and should be more openly embraced. Sorry - you didn't ask for a man's opinion, but this has been a hot button for me for many years. Congratulations to the OP! Enjoy your trip. Hopefully, things are more normal by the fall.

I am not worried about what people think about breastfeeding in public, rather I was worried about finding a comfortable place to nurse. My daughter likes to nurse for at least 15 minutes at a time, and quick feeds tend to make her fussy. I feel like the parks don’t a lot of random places to sit and rest. However, in any case, I’ll figure it out, as many mothers before me have done.
Thanks all!

I am not worried about what people think about breastfeeding in public, rather I was worried about finding a comfortable place to nurse. My daughter likes to nurse for at least 15 minutes at a time, and quick feeds tend to make her fussy. I feel like the parks don’t a lot of random places to sit and rest. However, in any case, I’ll figure it out, as many mothers before me have done.
Thanks all!

I think you will find there are many more places to sit and breastfeed then you expect.:)

Thanks all!

I had the slowest eater in the world....if we were at Disney, I'd probably have ride carousel of progress 3 times in a row.

Lots of the QS restaurants have seating nooks. By the carousel, there quite a few benches that would be easy spots to grab.

I think my most interesting location was waiting to meet Donald and Goofy in Pete’s Silly Sideshow. We let a bunch of people pass us as he just wasn’t finished eating. Most comfortable might have been the rockers inside the Splash Mountain gift shop while rider swapping Splash and Big thunder. There were more benches than I thought when I really started looking and quick serve restaurants at off hours are great places to feed.

Another vote here for long dark rides. My favorites were Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth. I also wore him in a carrier that had a sun cover and nursed him while strolling around the Food and Wine booths in Epcot. That was a bit too hot though, even in late October.

I liked the play area at Dumbo because my older child could play and we could stay as long as we liked if we were willing to let people pass us in line. Benches overlooking water (not the path) were private enough for me and cozy. A few times I just sat in the stroller facing a wall if she needed to eat and I didn't have time to find a spot. I nurse into toddler hood and didn't get any weird looks that I noticed at Disney.

When we took our middle daughter who was 18 months old or so she was still breastfeeding and I just did it anywhere - I was a little nervous for the first day and then I realized no one around us cared or noticed at all. I never went to a baby center. I brought a light muslin blanket to use if I was on a bench but I just whipped it out and fed her on almost every dark ride like HM, Spaceship Earth etc.

I always tried to find air-conditioning. EPCOT has the American Pavilion (listen to the Voices of Liberty), Mexico pavilion (donald duck water ride), Test Track exit store and Chevy showcase, Living Seas pavilion, and the pavilion for Soarin/Sunshine Seasons/LIving with the Land. Animal Kingdom has a great baby care center near the Starbucks, plus the Pandora resturant (Satuli Canteen), Finding Nemo show, Dinosaur restaurant, and Lion King show. Magic Kingdom is harder, but the shaded pavilion heading into Tomorrowland is a good spot. Ride the People Mover, and if there isn't a line, ask to stay on. (We've gotten naps that way before, riding multiple times as long as there wasn't a line of people waiting to board.) Columbia Harbour House has an upstairs dining area where I have sat for long feeds before. Hollywood Studios has two indoor quick service restaurants, but nothing really down Sunset Boulevard or in Galaxy's Edge. Plan accordingly! Enjoy that little one.

Hollywood Studios has two indoor quick service restaurants, but nothing really down Sunset Boulevard or in Galaxy's Edge. Plan accordingly! Enjoy that little one.

While not air conditioned, some of the seating area on Sunset Boulevard in front of the little quick service places have ceiling fans.

Docking Bay 7 in Star Wars Land has both inside and outside seating. So you can either sit in air conditioning, or outside by large fans.

How old will your little one be when you go? And how easily distracted?
The only time I was nursing when we took a WDW trip was when one was 23 months old, and he didn't really nurse a lot at that point. He was just nursing before nap and bedtime. I used the baby care center because it was quiet and I was trying to get him nursed and calm so he would fall asleep in his stroller.
If your little one isn't too easily distracted, you can nurse anywhere. There are benches everywhere. If your little one is easily distracted, it presents more of a challenge. My daughter, even at three months, couldn't mind her own business while nursing. Some restaurants have little corner areas. Columbia Harbor House is one example. Oddly enough, certain tables at Gaston's Tavern might work. The People Mover ride. If you're not too far from the baby care centers, they have comfortable recliners.

The rocking chairs on Tom Sawyer Island were my favorite nursing spot, Frozen Ever After was the second best because he fell asleep and it was air conditioned.
I used a muslin blanket just to let him feel cozy and quiet but I basically nursed wherever I could sit down. He was older (just 2) and eating food so I never nursed in the Disney restaurants, but have done that before too- BENCH seats are awesome for that.
I love using a camisole under a tee so I could keep my back covered for my own comfort.

I am not a mom, or even a woman! I'm a middle-aged male who's wife breast-fed our children many years ago. It is mind-boggling to me that this is even an issue - why does anyone have a problem with a mother nursing a child? If you don't like it, move along. It's natural, extremely good for the child, and should be more openly embraced. Sorry - you didn't ask for a man's opinion, but this has been a hot button for me for many years. Congratulations to the OP! Enjoy your trip. Hopefully, things are more normal by the fall.

YOU ARE AWESOME- Thank you for the encouragement! It is sad that in America, breastfeeding is not the norm, but if more people like you speak up and make it not a big deal, it can be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter