bridge GF to MK

Now I'm wondering (sadly) if part of the reason there's no bridge is that GF guests would turn their noses up at folks hoofing it over from the TTC.

Anybody besides me getting a bit too old to consider using the yet to be completed GF/MK walkway. :crutches:

For those staying at GF, it would be nice. But, I suspect it really wouldn't be sued enought to justify the cost to build. The few times we take the boat or monorail, just don't see many people walking that trail.
Then again, if it was completed, maybe more people would use it.

I think you underestimate the litigous nature of this country ... I think it would get sued plenty

;)

The EWP is one of the few things I would protest if they tried to get rid of it

Exaggerating a bit (always moving forward and all that) but do love the EWP and have many fond memories of watching it as a kid and now watching it with my kids

My kids are already asking if we can see if on our next trip there. Getting rid of it would be like getting rid of 'It's a Small World'. They've already held onto it for so long, it would be a strange move to suddenly remove it now.

What I never hear in these discussions is the ROI (return on investment) justification. This is not a small lift bridge like Epcot’s (about 25-30ft or so) this one would have to span 100ft or so. That’s a lift bridge north of $10 million cost maybe multiple 10s. That takes a big ROI argument. With the Poly and GF both at high occupancy rates and restaurants packed there is no argument to be made that a bridge would increase revenue. It wouldn’t. So no real justification for the company to put the money into this.

The EWP is one of the few things I would protest if they tried to get rid of it

Exaggerating a bit (always moving forward and all that) but do love the EWP and have many fond memories of watching it as a kid and now watching it with my kids

My kids are already asking if we can see if on our next trip there. Getting rid of it would be like getting rid of 'It's a Small World'. They've already held onto it for so long, it would be a strange move to suddenly remove it now.
Sorry, have to pull this one out for this post! :D

View attachment 400566

You leave EWP out of this! :rotfl:

Ha, ha! I had no idea EWP had so many (any?) fans! :laughing: I totally stand corrected!

What I never hear in these discussions is the ROI (return on investment) justification. This is not a small lift bridge like Epcot’s (about 25-30ft or so) this one would have to span 100ft or so. That’s a lift bridge north of $10 million cost maybe multiple 10s. That takes a big ROI argument. With the Poly and GF both at high occupancy rates and restaurants packed there is no argument to be made that a bridge would increase revenue. It wouldn’t. So no real justification for the company to put the money into this.

Good point. Google Maps does show the distance from the edge of each bank to be about 96 feet.

gf-to-mk-bridge-length.jpg

Link to Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/xWM7dNnHmbL4UydS8

There are options other than a bridge. I was thinking of some sort of automated raft ferry. You could also build a pedestrian bridge that had stairs or elevators at the base on each side that would carry pedestrians over the canal at a height sufficient enough to allow boats to go through. Something like this:

Attachments

• riverwalk bridge.jpg
    riverwalk bridge.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 53
Where did the $10 million bridge estimate come from out of curiosity.
Estimates found online suggest bridge costs are between $150-250 a square foot.
Lets say 150 ft by 15 ft = 2250 square feet X$250 is $562,500 which is no trivial cost, but certainly a bit lower than 10 million.
It doesn't need to be a draw bridge, a standard pedestrian bridge, elevated to monorail height would do the trick.
$100,000 is probably still too much to justify building it.
A pedestrian ferry would be cheaper up front, but the labor would kill it in short order.
The cheapest would likely be a floating bridge that could be moved daily. The problem with that is one of the prime uses for a bridge would be park exit times which is often when the electric water parade runs.
So you'd move the thing during it's prime use window.
I think I'd rather see a pier/floating bridge with a removable section from the GF boat dock to the MK side of the canal. It would give you a more scenic and shorter walk.
The reality is there isn't a driving need by guests. Until they add some new DVC property or something else between the GF and MK you likely won't see anything built there.

The other option is to dock the EWP in bay lake somewhere, with something to obscure it from view. Build the floating bridge across the canal and only move it when the river boat needs to come out. That would likely be the cheapest way to accomplish the goal.

Lets say 150 ft by 15 ft = 2250 square feet X$250 is $562,500 which is no trivial cost, but certainly a bit lower than 10 million.
That part of Florida is all wetlands/swamp. The infrastructure would be rkdiculously expensive. Then you'd have to make the walkway accessible to everyone, so you need elevators or really long ramps (the incline can only be one inch high for every foot of ramp length,.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter