bridge GF to MK

The other option is to dock the EWP in bay lake somewhere, with something to obscure it from view. Build the floating bridge across the canal and only move it when the river boat needs to come out. That would likely be the cheapest way to accomplish the goal.
I don't they'd dock the EWP barges anywhere else. As it's set up now, routine maintenance can be done without creating a new structure (avoiding complaints about ruining Seven Deas Lagoon ;))

But truly, the cheapest option is to not do anything :). No changes, no cost.

So - just my reasoning? THERE ALREADY IS a bridge. The Monorail rides on it. Ergo, a parallel structure with a solid barrier separating it from the Monorail track would work. So NOT doing this is not a question of "it can not be done".

Except there isn't a bridge. It's just normal monorail track beams with supports.

resort-monorail-high-track.jpg

There no way to attach any structure to a monorail beam or support. Any new pedestrian bridge would be completely separate.

People don't take that path because it doesn't go anywhere.

If you put in a bridge and allowed people to get to the Grand Floridian, I can guarantee you would lighten the monorail/boat load. People would take the path and walk to GF, Poly, even all the way to the TTC - especially at park close.

Yes. We have gotten off at the TTC, walk to Poly, eat something, then walk back to GF at park close.

There no way to attach any structure to a monorail beam or support. Any new pedestrian bridge would be completely separate.

Of course there is. It's an engineering question but it absolutely could be done unless the monorail track is right at its weight limit with the monorail passing. Which I highly doubt. Now whether it is worth doing is another question and one I think Disney answered long ago by not doing it. Getting people up that high to cross over would require elevators and escalators. Steps aren't going to work. And those get expensive, especially outside.

But to say it can't be done because those pillars are JUST for the monorail is a bit unrealistic. I suppose it could be true, but I highly doubt it.

Of course there is. It's an engineering question but it absolutely could be done unless the monorail track is right at its weight limit with the monorail passing. Which I highly doubt. Now whether it is worth doing is another question and one I think Disney answered long ago by not doing it. Getting people up that high to cross over would require elevators and escalators. Steps aren't going to work. And those get expensive, especially outside.

But to say it can't be done because those pillars are JUST for the monorail is a bit unrealistic. I suppose it could be true, but I highly doubt it.

This is rather silly. You claimed there was a bridge. I correctly pointed out that there is not a bridge.

As to whether you could add a structure to the monorail beam and supports, that's at best an academic question. Any additional structure would necessitate closing both loops of the monorail. Since that NEVER would happen just for a pedestrian bridge, I stand by my conclusion.

This is rather silly. You claimed there was a bridge. I correctly pointed out that there is not a bridge.

As to whether you could add a structure to the monorail beam and supports, that's at best an academic question. Any additional structure would necessitate closing both loops of the monorail. Since that NEVER would happen just for a pedestrian bridge, I stand by my conclusion.
I'm not the OP. I just pointed out that your claim that nothing could be added was silly. I agree it's unlikely in the extreme, but it COULD be done. Anyway, we are arguing semantics on a topic we agree is a dead issue, and that's just pointless!

I think a pedestrian tunnel would be the best idea. It’s probably no more expensive than a bridge, would have significantly lower maintenance costs, and wouldn’t come saddled with disabled or other ADA issues.

I think a pedestrian tunnel would be the best idea. It’s probably no more expensive than a bridge, would have significantly lower maintenance costs, and wouldn’t come saddled with disabled or other ADA issues.
A tunnel would be just as much of a problem as a bridge, possibly even more for problem. With the water table issues in all of Florida, especially in this case next to 7 Seas Lagoon, keeping a tunnel dry would be a major issue. Also they would be ADA issues with a tunnel because the slope of the ramps would have to meet ADA requirements and would have to have flat "landings" at intervals. A tunnel would also be more expensive to build.

Actually it can't be done. As a former monorails Cast Member I can tell you with absolute confidence that nothing is allowed to touch those beams and pylons. Take a close look next time you're there and you'll see that none of the beams or pylons are connected to any of the structures that they pass over or through. Even at the Contemporary there are no internal or external points where the monorail beams and the structure of the resort meet.

Additionally, the entire area between the Grand Floridian and the Magic Kingdom along Seven Seas Lagoon is considered to be non-guest accessible area due to the EWP dock being classified as a backstage area. This rumor has been going around for multiple years and dies and resurfaces regularly, but it's nothing but wishful thinking. That's a bridge that will never be built.

Maybe the simplest idea would be to construct a small landing by where each path ends and have some type of boat/raft along the lines of the Tom Sawyer Island rafts to make the connection.

I would 100% walk from MK to TTC. I don't care if the walk took just as long as the wait for the monorail/ferry. Avoiding the crowds would make it 100% worth it at park close.

When we're at a monorail resort, we're at Bay Lake, so this wouldn't affect us directly. However, to have one full path around the loop would be awesome, especially for those rare times I'm training for a race (in support of those that mentioned a running path). However, it does seem unlikely as the logistics would be tough to overcome without a way for Disney to monetize this to help pay for it. Sadly.

If you could actually make a full loop around the lake, I'm sure plenty of runners would use it. I think there are more than enough people that would use it to get to GF at the end of the day when the monorail is backed up. It's a beautiful walk on that side, much better than the walk from the Contemporary. I don't know how to determine how many people using it makes it "worth" building, but I think it would have gotten plenty of use over the years. Especially if they could somehow connect the Contemporary to the Poly to complete the loop.

YES!!! It would be a dream to run around the lagoon!

A side question... Looking up that channel, I'm noticing what looks like a removable gate (to keep rouge boat renters from venturing any further?) a pair of locks (to maintain the water level in ROA?) and then the railroad bridge. Looking at the terrain of the map, does the RR bridge swing to allow the riverboat through?

A side question... Looking up that channel, I'm noticing what looks like a removable gate (to keep rouge boat renters from venturing any further?) a pair of locks (to maintain the water level in ROA?) and then the railroad bridge. Looking at the terrain of the map, does the RR bridge swing to allow the riverboat through?
Yes the rail bridge rotates, to allow the river boat out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!