Bridge over Kirkman

ruthies12

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if or when the pedestrian bridge over Kirkman Road will be open? Thinking of booking a stay at the Holiday Inn across the street from Universal and the opening date of this bridge may sway our decision.

Also wondering if anyone knows if there are steps or ramps or elevators or all of the above to get up and down from the bridge to street level?

TIA!!!

@schumigirl Thank you very much! The only thing I can find online is an old news article saying it is supposed to open January 2019. Obviously that date got changed lol We're not going until September so there's a good chance it will be done I'd think. Although now the person I'm going with is saying they want to stay at Aventura again so it may not matter......

@schumigirl Thank you very much! The only thing I can find online is an old news article saying it is supposed to open January 2019. Obviously that date got changed lol We're not going until September so there's a good chance it will be done I'd think. Although now the person I'm going with is saying they want to stay at Aventura again so it may not matter......

Lol......the best laid plans!!!

Yes, it seems to have been delayed for many reasons.....none of them make any sense......it’s a small bridge and even locals are mystified as to why it’s taken so long.....I know the hand rails are mostly on so it shouldn’t be too far away........well.......you never know I guess........:wave2:

Does anyone know if or when the pedestrian bridge over Kirkman Road will be open? Thinking of booking a stay at the Holiday Inn across the street from Universal and the opening date of this bridge may sway our decision.

Also wondering if anyone knows if there are steps or ramps or elevators or all of the above to get up and down from the bridge to street level?

TIA!!!

Not sure how much you have looked into it but I have stayed at the Holiday Inn and had no problems crossing Kirkman. It looks a bit more daunting than it actually is. There are a lot of lanes but also a traffic light and crosswalk. Many people use this.

you can see it on Google Maps

I did notice that! It gave me hope that it was either completed or near completion

Not sure how much you have looked into it but I have stayed at the Holiday Inn and had no problems crossing Kirkman. It looks a bit more daunting than it actually is. There are a lot of lanes but also a traffic light and crosswalk. Many people use this.

I've stayed at this hotel several times and while the crossing of the lanes isn't impossible, I still don't like it. I hate Orlando traffic in general, too many tourists not knowing where they are going and too many fed up locals trying to get around said tourists lol. The pedestrian bridge will make things a lot nicer and safer!

you can see it on Google Maps

Google maps must have just recently updated with new satellite images! For the longest time up until recently they still haven't had Sapphire Falls showing let alone VB, Aventura and other things that have been built in the last few years. They're all there now though!

Couple of pictures from today of the new bridge.

The bridge looks almost complete but the roadworks around aren’t complete yet.

We saw folks today cross the road on the correct crossing, but some cars weren’t aware they had to yield to pedestrians........this bridge will be so much easier for folks to cross this busy road.

(Sorry they’re a bit blurry, car was moving)

0395A477-EC71-4DAF-96A6-F2E4D56E79B1.jpeg 7B11C6F4-6F99-454B-90DE-FA4B66F92E1E.jpeg 6B46EFCB-3899-495E-81E4-1695650EB0C4.jpeg

Wow, if a pedestrian is in a crosswalk, it’s a law for cars to yield in any state. We are staying at the Doubletree in September, I’m hoping the bridge is complete by then. 😖

Wow, if a pedestrian is in a crosswalk, it’s a law for cars to yield in any state. We are staying at the Doubletree in September, I’m hoping the bridge is complete by then. 😖

Absolutely.

But seems many drivers either ignore this at that junction or they`re tourists and not sure of the rules......

We`ve seen a fair few near misses with folks crossing there......this bridge will be fabulous for those who are walking.

Is this bridge right next to the Doubletree?

Any updates? 6 weeks til we leave and seems like a cruel joke now at this point. It looks like no one ever works on it!

Any updates? 6 weeks til we leave and seems like a cruel joke now at this point. It looks like no one ever works on it!

I do know it’s still not complete!!

It’s almost like they work on it part time. We very rarely saw anyone work there, even when we were driving home late. So I have no idea when it’s scheduled to be complete, they passed the original scheduled opening many months ago!

Although surely it can’t be far away now........

We are there for 4 nights aug 21. Booked to stay at Hyatt House because we got a great rate there back in Feb so I’ve been watching progress since then and there’s barely been any. The company that’s supposed to be working on it doesn’t answer questions when asked. There’s a shuttle but was hoping to have the option to walk as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!