Bridget and Miles' 2017 Disney Fantasy Wedding Cruise Planning Journal

I just got caught up, and I love everything so far!! I agree that having someone you know very well officiate can really make the ceremony special. One of our best friends performed our ceremony, and it really made for a personal touch. Your dress is gorgeous!

I can't wait to see more!

I just got caught up, and I love everything so far!! I agree that having someone you know very well officiate can really make the ceremony special. One of our best friends performed our ceremony, and it really made for a personal touch. Your dress is gorgeous!

I can't wait to see more!

Thanks for following along! Hopefully I'll have more updates soon. :)

Now, I know I've seen brides on here married in the atrium and D-Lounge of the Fantasy with more than 28 guests, so I was a little aghast (given our guest list was at 44 people). There's no way I'm asking people to pay thousands of dollars to take this trip and then not even attend the wedding. I pushed back with this information, and was told "Those spots are not 'options' to choose from…but wedding coordinators can speak with you, and CAN sometimes make exceptions."

Miles and I weren't about to take the risk that people wouldn't be able to attend the actual ceremony, so we've resolved to simply cut our list down to 28. :worried: Such is life, I guess.

I also already heard from our DFTW coordinator, Valerie, who emailed me the ceremony planning guide this morning (so fast!). Have any of you worked with Valerie? Thoughts? Tips?

Bridget, I really hope you did cut your list just yet. I'm working with Valerie as well and I didn't want the options provided by Disney Wonder. We had a specific room in mind, which count my luck stars holds 30 (including the bride and groom). I'm trying to work with her on guest issues as well but she is out for the time being. Anyway, talk to Val about getting the room you want and she will tell you the headcount to aim for. You might need to wait until the captain okays your room choice, which I won't lie has been stressing me out. But you can stray from the "options" provided.

Now that the holiday shenanigans have subsided, I'm back to share an update on our progress! The wedding party is all in place, after Miles asked his best men to join us on New Year's Eve (by hiding bow ties in their beers). My apologies for the blurry shot. Haha.

5c497fe1-c8f9-4fc9-9e24-ed229b4d2cb2_zpsmse798ln.jpg

So far, we have 11 people booked, with nine more definite bookings on the way (out of 32 invited).

Other than that, here's what we've been up to:

Save the Dates / Invites

Our Save the Dates are printed, and ready to be addressed! As we were lucky enough to have our wedding photographer (and groomsman) James in attendance at our engagement, we used one of those photos and saved ourselves on the cost of an engagement shoot. WIN. Miles designed these himself, and we used Moo.com for the (very affordable) printing.

5b44c6f0-b404-4b1c-bd78-b64f2046f47b_zpsedavwbpg.jpg

febb3e25-9f1a-4912-83c5-1bad7f275b99_zpsy6io4mjq.jpg

We could have opted to print out the addresses as well, but my mother (who has beautiful handwriting) volunteered to take on the task. Those will go in the mail next week and lead our guests to our...

Wedding Website

IT IS FINALLY DONE. Miles created this himself (he's a web developer) and we co-wrote the copy (I'm a copywriter). This took us longer than expected to complete, thanks to some very busy work schedules. But I'm so happy with how it turned out. A few graphic designer friends of ours donated the art work, and I love it. If you want to see all the FAQ we developed, visit the RSVP page (password: hiddenmickey).

Registry

We also link to our registry (via Honeyfund.com) from the site. I think we're pretty much done with this, although Miles might want to add a few more odds and ends to the Amazon list.

Welcome Packet

We're still waiting on a couple final details to complete this bad boy, but here's the file so far. I'm going to print out full color copies of these and have them delivered to each guest room. Feel free to borrow/steal away. :D

Next month, we're planning to put down a deposit on our home reception site, and I'll be back with more to share, including our ceremony planning guide and (hopefully) an update on my attire. I'm going shopping with one of my MOHs for bridal undies, shoes and jewelry next weekend. :) Speaking of, any tips on where to find a not-crazy-expensive corset?

Bridget, I really hope you did cut your list just yet. I'm working with Valerie as well and I didn't want the options provided by Disney Wonder. We had a specific room in mind, which count my luck stars holds 30 (including the bride and groom). I'm trying to work with her on guest issues as well but she is out for the time being. Anyway, talk to Val about getting the room you want and she will tell you the headcount to aim for. You might need to wait until the captain okays your room choice, which I won't lie has been stressing me out. But you can stray from the "options" provided.

Hi there! Thanks for the note and follow. Unfortunately, we did bring our list down already. Even after I talked to Valerie, she didn't make it seem like it was entirely possible to get any other room than Outlook. Oh well. All the best luck to you in your planning!! ::heads off to follow you::

Hi Bridget, all caught up and so excited for you! Fellow Chicagoan and future cruise bride here: we will be on the dream in October! Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Also, just checked out your welcome packet pages and they are great!! We are planning on doing something similar so, thanks for the inspiration!

Hi Bridget, all caught up and so excited for you! Fellow Chicagoan and future cruise bride here: we will be on the dream in October! Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Chi Town in the HOUSE. ;) Congrats to you also! Thanks for following. I'll be back on here soon with more details.

Hi Bridget!
I was so excited to find your thread! I'm hoping to plan a wedding cruise on the Fantasy for the early summer on 2017. I've found lots of threads about shorter wedding cruises (3 or 4 nights) but haven't found too many for the longer cruises. I love your save the dates and your wedding website!! Thank you so much for sharing them -- so helpful!! Your FAQ section is so great!! You are such a thoughtful bride!! Your welcome packet is fantastic!
I have so many questions!!

I know they don't "confirm" the day for the wedding until a few weeks before the cruise, but have you gotten any information on which days of the cruise or times you might be able to have the wedding? I'm wondering if they usually do them on the sea day or on the port days? Are you going to be doing any kind of "Bon Voyage" party on land before the start of the cruise?

Thank you so much for sharing your journey through this process!!

I know they don't "confirm" the day for the wedding until a few weeks before the cruise, but have you gotten any information on which days of the cruise or times you might be able to have the wedding? I'm wondering if they usually do them on the sea day or on the port days? Are you going to be doing any kind of "Bon Voyage" party on land before the start of the cruise?

Thank you so much for sharing your journey through this process!!

Hi there! I'm so glad to be helpful. I'll be posting a lot more soon, too.

As for your first question, I was told by my DFTW coordinator, Val, that the ceremonies onboard for the 7-day cruises are usually held the first day at sea (which was great news to me, because that's what we were hoping for). She hasn't provided any times, but I am planning to ask soon and will update here with what I find out.

We're doing a welcome party onboard (hoping for Ooh La La) on embarkation day before our second-seating dinner. We'll provide an open bar for our 20-ish guests. To do a party like this, you need to pay for at least 25 guests (even if you don't have that many). Premiere bar package is $13.25/person (including gratuity).

Then we're having a cocktail and appetizer reception at Cooper's Hawk Winery back home in Chicago a couple weeks after we return, for the many family and friends who didn't get to sail.

Hope that helps!

Happy planning!

Hi there! I'm so glad to be helpful. I'll be posting a lot more soon, too.

As for your first question, I was told by my DFTW coordinator, Val, that the ceremonies onboard for the 7-day cruises are usually held the first day at sea (which was great news to me, because that's what we were hoping for). She hasn't provided any times, but I am planning to ask soon and will update here with what I find out.

We're doing a welcome party onboard (hoping for Ooh La La) on embarkation day before our second-seating dinner. We'll provide an open bar for our 20-ish guests. To do a party like this, you need to pay for at least 25 guests (even if you don't have that many). Premiere bar package is $13.25/person (including gratuity).

Then we're having a cocktail and appetizer reception at Cooper's Hawk Winery back home in Chicago a couple weeks after we return, for the many family and friends who didn't get to sail.

Hope that helps!

Happy planning!

Thanks so much! I was hoping it could be on a sea day - so that's great news! Thanks so much for sharing the drink/snack pricing document for the ship- so helpful! Thanks so much!! Can't wait for your next installment :-)
- Sarah

Happy almost March, everyone!

Miles and I got quite a bit done in the last few months. I’ll start with the Chicago-area, non-Disney stuff…

Dress Alteration and Home Reception Venue

I had my first alteration appointment with Crafty Broads in Chicago. If you’re in the area, I highly recommend them. They’re a local business, they charge half up front, and seem really reasonable, AND they’re sweet and fun gals.

If you’re looking an idea on how much your alterations might cost, here’s my quote:

6c997fb4-648d-4434-b570-de71d9a30b74_zps700cjuwi.png

We also booked our home reception site at Cooper’s Hawk Winery in Arlington Heights, IL. They have locations around the country, too. If you’re interested, here is their current planning info. They include a lot of services for no extra cost, such as a dance floor, centerpieces, table settings and linens, valet parking and audio visual equipment.

Ceremony Planning Guide

We’re all set with our planning guide choices (there’s a blank copy in here for you to review). As soon as our RSVPs are all in, we’ll send this along to our Disney Fairytale Weddings coordinator, Val.

For the floral, we’re going with a solid French roses bouquet in lavender and ivory, for me. Miles will have a lavender rose boutonniere, and the groomsmen will have ivory. My maids will have the smaller (and less expensive) posy bouquets.

I may also order one or two small boxes of lavender rose petals for the cake table. Not sure if it’s worth the cost – thoughts?

For the music, we're doing mostly piano stuff. We wanted to take advantage of the included pianist as much as possible:
  • Prelude/Seating – A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes and Vivaldi’s Spring (Pianist)
  • Bride’s Processional – The Ludlows (Pianist) [I’m providing this sheet music]
  • Recessional – The Wedding March (Pianist)
  • Cake Cutting – Kiss the Girl (Pianist)
  • First Dance – Northern Wind, by City and Colour (CD)
  • Father/Daughter and Mother/Son Dance – Stand By Me (Pianist) [I’m providing sheet music]

Our cake selection is Touch of Character (Miles' pick, surprisingly!) chocolate with raspberry butter cream filling. I plan to ask if this can be done vegan (anyone know?). I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would be nice if I could eat my own cake. The dining room chefs have made me a lot of individual vegan cake desserts over the years that were awesome, so perhaps there's a chance.

Finally, we’re using our own cake topper. (We'll have the included bride and groom Mickey and Minnie set up on the cake table). Unfortunately, the one we bought has spikes (which are not allowed) so we’re going to have to saw those off and MacGuyver a way to stick it to a flat base ourselves. We’ll see how that turns out! :O

CakeTopperPhoto_zps0i1popgc.jpg

I’ll have more updates soon, including our Disney World honeymoon plans, and my radtastic wedding shoes and jewelry. :D

Last edited:
Following along! I love all of your story and all of your details so far! We got engaged on DCL and briefly considered a cruise wedding ourselves :) We also have similar engagement rings...hooray for solitaires! Your welcome packet is beautiful and so well-detailed! I definitely need to take some points when creating one for our upcoming wedding. Oh and I'm SUPER jealous of your dress. Its GORGEOUS. I really wanted a dress with 3/4-length sleeves and didn't have much luck finding one (although I have my dress now and love it so it all worked out in the end).

I can't wait to read more about your plans!

Following along! I love all of your story and all of your details so far! We got engaged on DCL and briefly considered a cruise wedding ourselves :) We also have similar engagement rings...hooray for solitaires! Your welcome packet is beautiful and so well-detailed! I definitely need to take some points when creating one for our upcoming wedding. Oh and I'm SUPER jealous of your dress. Its GORGEOUS. I really wanted a dress with 3/4-length sleeves and didn't have much luck finding one (although I have my dress now and love it so it all worked out in the end).

I can't wait to read more about your plans!

Hi Lauren, thanks for following! Getting engaged on DCL sounds just perfect. I'm glad you liked the welcome packet -- steal away! :D Yeah, there were NOT a lot of sleeve options. But I'm sure yours was meant for you. Happy planning!

I don't know how I missed your PJ! I just caught up I love your dress its so classy and timeless and I love another Fantasy Bride :wave: I was married last May on the Fantasy in the atrium and I am a little biast and its my favorite ship :rotfl:Your save the dates are so cute and I love your cake topper so cute too bad about the spikes hopefully you can make it flat! Can't wait to follow along your wedding will fly by and it will be here before you know it!

Happy Planning
Melissa :goodvibes

I don't know how I missed your PJ! I just caught up I love your dress its so classy and timeless and I love another Fantasy Bride :wave: I was married last May on the Fantasy in the atrium and I am a little biast and its my favorite ship :rotfl:Your save the dates are so cute and I love your cake topper so cute too bad about the spikes hopefully you can make it flat! Can't wait to follow along your wedding will fly by and it will be here before you know it!

Happy Planning
Melissa :goodvibes

Thanks, Melissa! I definitely followed along with your PJ. Your wedding looked beautiful!

I sure hope the time flies -- we are ready to set sail!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter