Bringing Beverages on Board

dave54

Earning My Ears
We cruised in June 2002 and we had no problem bringing on some soda, beer and a small bottle of rum. Do any recent cruisers know if anything has changed. I noticed the back of our tickets speak to the fact that it is all prohibited, but as we know there are rules and there are rules. Thanks in advance for your help!!

We had no problems bringing wine, beer, pop and water with us on the May 17th 2003 cruise and gosh, did we have a lot. We had several hands to help us carry it all though.

How did you carry it all? In a soft side cooler? Do they limit how much you can take?

Happy Cruising!

In May, they did not limit how much we took on. In fact, we took too much. (4 bottles of wine, 24 beer, 24 pop and 6 water). The only thing disney suggested from our previous cruise was that the alcohol be in a bag of some form. As a result, the wine went in my carry-on (backpack), DH carried the beer in brown paper bags, DS carried the pop in brown paper bag and other DS carried the water in plastic bag. All the bags had handles so it was very simple. Somehow our DD didn't carry anything??? They gave us no problems at all at the checkin and told us to have a great time. Our youngest left the water on the floor in the terminal at check-in and they kindly tagged it and had it delivered it to our room.

Thanks Dave&Kim.

I still can't believe that we can take all that onboard. Will save us so much money by bringing our own.

Happy Cruising!

Originally posted by dave&kim
We had no problems bringing wine, beer, pop and water with us on the May 17th 2003 cruise and gosh, did we have a lot. We had several hands to help us carry it all though.

Was it you I saw at Port Canaveral with several cases of pop? LOL!! ;)

I called DCL just before our May 18th cruise just to confirm that it was indeed okay. They said as long as it was unopened and in your carry-on luggage, it was fine.

We brought 2 bottles of premixed Margarita, a bottle of Bacardi and an assortment of sodas, water and juice boxes for the kids. We packed it all in a huge duffle bag that DH lugged around until we got to our room. NOT RECOMMENDED!!! Next time I think we'll pack it all in a small roller suitcase.

We were cautioned not to bring too much because you cannot carry opened containers off the ship. To be honest, we could have....no one was checking! But we did very little shopping so we had nothing to claim in customs.

We did end up with a bit more than half of the Bacardi left over, which we gave to our stateroom host. Brian was very appreciative of the little extra "tip"!

We actually checked our soda and water in w/ our luggage at the terminal. They took it and said it was fine as long as it's packed in a bag that can close shut.

Originally posted by tezb
We actually checked our soda and water in w/ our luggage at the terminal. They took it and said it was fine as long as it's packed in a bag that can close shut.

I did that too, I didn't want to be carrying anything around with me that I didn't really have to!

When you checked the soda with your luggage, how did they tag the bag to know which stateroom to send it to? Is there a sticky tag you fill out with your room # that can fit on your grocery bag? I have never been DCL and not aware of how they do things there. Thank you.

Yes, if you check at the port they can tag any untagged items. You are also provided an ample number of preprinted luggage tags in the paperwork from the cruiseline. Beverages just have to be in a closed(zippered) bag. You already know your cabin # when you check in.

The way that is worded in the booklet is so bad it's not funny. What they are prohibiting is anything in a cooler, and absolutely no hard sider coolers or ice. Ice will confuse the security scanner. Anything you carryon has to be able to get thru the airport-style security scanner.

I've read on here of people having no problem bringing beverages onboard in a soft sided cooler, just don't ice it and make sure the thing full can get thru the scanner (no bigger than those small rollaways) if you do carry it on.

If you check a beverage bag, make sure the only thing in the bag is beverages and padding (towels that you could launder onboard) incase of leakage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter