Bringing first timers...which resort would you choose?

nezy

DIS Veteran
I am planning a trip and bringing 2 friends who have been to Disney but never stayed on property. Which DVC Rresort would you choose? And why?

We would be in a studio...3 adult women.
I go back and forth between really wowing them or thinking any resort would be great.
Any thoughts?

I am planning a trip and bringing 2 friends who have been to Disney but never stayed on property. Which DVC Rresort would you choose? And why?

We would be in a studio...3 adult women.
I go back and forth between really wowing them or thinking any resort would be great.
Any thoughts?

NOTE: Mod merged duplicate threads

Last edited by a moderator:
I am biased because we are owners at BCV, but for adults in particular you can’t beat the access that BCV provides to Epcot and HS. Especially the short walk to the International Gateway at Epcot. Then on top of that, you have an amazing pool setting, even for adults, with a couple of great hot tubs. Then you have the immediate energy and access to not just one, but two resort hotels in the Beach Club and Yacht Club. And with that, you have the two quick service grocery/merchandise stores on-site, plus the multiple restaurants across the BC/YC complex. Finally, you are close to the Boardwalk and all it has to offer in terms of dining and entertainment.

We stayed at BWV once too, and for us it just did not have the “energy” that we feel at BCV.

Other resorts are great too, and could say nice things about GF and WL resorts, but nothing compares to BCV for us.

Good luck with your trip, and I am sure your friends will have a great time being on property no matter where you stay!

If it were me, I would show them pictures of the different resorts you would like (or have the points for), and see what they say.

I am biased because we are owners at BCV, but for adults in particular you can’t beat the access that BCV provides to Epcot and HS. Especially the short walk to the International Gateway at Epcot. Then on top of that, you have an amazing pool setting, even for adults, with a couple of great hot tubs. Then you have the immediate energy and access to not just one, but two resort hotels in the Beach Club and Yacht Club. And with that, you have the two quick service grocery/merchandise stores on-site, plus the multiple restaurants across the BC/YC complex. Finally, you are close to the Boardwalk and all it has to offer in terms of dining and entertainment.

We stayed at BWV once too, and for us it just did not have the “energy” that we feel at BCV.

Other resorts are great too, and could say nice things about GF and WL resorts, but nothing compares to BCV for us.

Good luck with your trip, and I am sure your friends will have a great time being on property no matter where you stay!
BCV is my favorite but not my home so it may not be an option. I love the feel of that resort as well.
Yes...we will have a good time. Thank you.

If it were me, I would show them pictures of the different resorts you would like (or have the points for), and see what they say.
Good idea.
I am almost thinking SSR because we can walk to the springs. I have an AP but they do not . We may want to have easy access to that area.

I can second AKL-Jambo, but would also consider AKL-Kidani. Animal Kingdom is an amazing place and great to just hang out or go to the pool. Also, you can walk around inside Kidani and look at the African folk art. And it has some of the very best restaurants, if you can be happy with Asian-African-American Fusion food.

Wilderness Lodge is impressive and also good to just relax, like Animal Kingdom Lodges.

SSR COULD be within walking distance of Disney Springs, if not, take the boat.

Also the boat from OKW to Disney Springs. Disney Springs has some nice restaurants and great shopping, if they like those things, so those resorts could be attractive.

Boardwalk is right in the middle of the action. THE Boardwalk area is nice. And you can always go to the Yacht Club restaurant or some of the restaurants at Swan and Dolphin. Boardwalk Villas is a bit longer walk to Epcot International Gateway than Beach Club, but it is closer to Hollywood Studios.

Bay Lake Tower has some awesome views out over the lake, if you get Lakeview. Top of the World Lounge is fun, and one of our favorite restaurants is California Grille at the Contemporary. Besides, if they like Magic Kingdom, BLT has the best access of them all.

Grand Floridian is really classy and elegant and has some of the best restaurants.

I don't necessarily recommend Poly. It is one of my least favorite resorts, despite the fact that I own 325 points there. It is fun to have the monorail, but Grand Floridian and BLT also have access to the monorail, so, meh.

Beach Club is good, but very hard to get into, if you aren't an owner there.

Finally, we come to Riviera. You didn't say when you would be traveling, but if Riviera is open, I really think it will be a winner. Gondola access to Epcot and HS. And gondolas to Caribbean Beach and even Pop Century / AoA if you feel like exploring.

My personal favorites are AKLs because they are so unique and relaxing, Wilderness Lodge for the lobby and relaxation, BLT for location and California Grille, and then Boardwalk Villas. To that, I'm sure I will be adding Riviera. I'm still very unhappy about Riviera. I would already own it, if they hadn't kicked the owners in the teeth. Now I will never buy there. But I will visit whenever I can.

I can second AKL-Jambo, but would also consider AKL-Kidani. Animal Kingdom is an amazing place and great to just hang out or go to the pool. Also, you can walk around inside Kidani and look at the African folk art. And it has some of the very best restaurants, if you can be happy with Asian-African-American Fusion food.

Wilderness Lodge is impressive and also good to just relax, like Animal Kingdom Lodges.

SSR COULD be within walking distance of Disney Springs, if not, take the boat.

Also the boat from OKW to Disney Springs. Disney Springs has some nice restaurants and great shopping, if they like those things, so those resorts could be attractive.

Boardwalk is right in the middle of the action. THE Boardwalk area is nice. And you can always go to the Yacht Club restaurant or some of the restaurants at Swan and Dolphin. Boardwalk Villas is a bit longer walk to Epcot International Gateway than Beach Club, but it is closer to Hollywood Studios.

Bay Lake Tower has some awesome views out over the lake, if you get Lakeview. Top of the World Lounge is fun, and one of our favorite restaurants is California Grille at the Contemporary. Besides, if they like Magic Kingdom, BLT has the best access of them all.

Grand Floridian is really classy and elegant and has some of the best restaurants.

I don't necessarily recommend Poly. It is one of my least favorite resorts, despite the fact that I own 325 points there. It is fun to have the monorail, but Grand Floridian and BLT also have access to the monorail, so, meh.

Beach Club is good, but very hard to get into, if you aren't an owner there.

Finally, we come to Riviera. You didn't say when you would be traveling, but if Riviera is open, I really think it will be a winner. Gondola access to Epcot and HS. And gondolas to Caribbean Beach and even Pop Century / AoA if you feel like exploring.

My personal favorites are AKLs because they are so unique and relaxing, Wilderness Lodge for the lobby and relaxation, BLT for location and California Grille, and then Boardwalk Villas. To that, I'm sure I will be adding Riviera. I'm still very unhappy about Riviera. I would already own it, if they hadn't kicked the owners in the teeth. Now I will never buy there. But I will visit whenever I can.
I was wondering about Riviera as we are travelling after Dec. 2019. I am just wondering how easy or difficult it will be to book at 7 months as thay is not my home resort. We are going Feb. 2020 during president's week (new york) and I may only be able to get home resort.
The AKL lobby and WL lobby are both so impressive. As is grand Floridians hotel...not the villas. Lovely but not a WOW!
Nice to have options.

Well, I'd start off by booking OKW at the 11 month window. Then I'd look at other resorts at the 7 month mark. For three adult women in a studio, I'd probably look for one that has the most overall room as well as good storage capacity within the studio.

As for impressing them, if this is their first trip to WDW, then they will most likely be very impressed with any DVC resort. They have nothing to compare them to other than hotel rooms in other cities, so you should get a good response no matter where you end up. I guess if you really want to impress them on just how different Disney can be, then AKV-Jambo would be a good choice. You have that magnificent lobby and the sight of exotic animals within easy walk no matter what kind of villa you reserve.

What are you into (food? rides? pool? drinks?), do you have a favorite park, as anyone small enough to fit comfortably in the murphy bed in the 5-person studios? Are you going to be park warriors or spend time at the resorts as well? When are you going?

I lean toward a resort with a 5-person studio so you can choose to keep the couch folded, and sleep on the queen and the murphy bed (if one of you will fit there). Then you have a separate living space area with the sofa to sit and also have easier access to a patio or balcony.

Setting aside room availability:
If going during F&G or F&W, BWV or BCV or RIV

Park Warriors or resort/pool, + wow:
VGF or Poly
If no one could fit in the murphy anyway, and you're park warriors - BLT (any view)

Foodies:
BWV, BCV, RIV, VGF

I was wondering about Riviera as we are travelling after Dec. 2019. I am just wondering how easy or difficult it will be to book at 7 months as thay is not my home resort. We are going Feb. 2020 during president's week (new york) and I may only be able to get home resort.
The AKL lobby and WL lobby are both so impressive. As is grand Floridians hotel...not the villas. Lovely but not a WOW!
Nice to have options.

The weekends on either end of Presidents week are Presidents weekend and the Princess Half - both of those weekends are already somewhat booked in studios. (i.e. 7 mo availability will be tough).

AKL-Jambo has a lot less rooms than Kidani, because DVC rooms are only on one floor at Jambo, and Kidani is so massive. At 7 months, you can probably get Jambo, in Feb, but if not, grab Kidani. That should surely be available. The secondary lobby at Kidani is less impressive than Jambo, but it is still very nice. Nicer than most places. And you can always take the shuttle that runs continuously between Kidani and Jambo if you want to go sit in the Jambo lobby.

If you go to Kidani and you have a Savannah room you might also want to request somewhere near the main lobby. If you get clear out at the end of the hallway (especially the north hallway), you could have a LONG walk, multiple times per day.

If you have a standard view room, you might want to request in the North Wing (which is the wing to the left), and ask for something overlooking the pool (just past the Rafiki elevator), or, a bit farther up the hallway, overlooking the Pembe Savannah (but before the Pumbaa elevator), for a partial Savannah view.

If in the South wing, I would request somewhere between the lobby and the Timon elevator.

The north wing has 8 'pods' (building sections) and the south wing has 7. In the north wing, the Rafiki elevator is between pods 2 and 3, while the Pumbaa elevator is between pods 6 and 7.

In the south wing, the Timon elevator is between pods 2 and 3 (and it gives good access to the parking garage and the bus stops) while the Zazu elevator is between pods 5 and 6.

If you are worried about travel times from AKL being 'way out there at the end of Disney World' (not really) DON'T worry about it. The AKL travel times are equal to almost any resort, and better than most.

AKL isn't for everyone, obviously, but it is certainly UNIQUE in the entire world. Oh, and the people have always been very friendly to me.

Last edited:
In the past when I've taken people for their first trip, it was always to the Poly. The ride on the monorail for the first time going to the MK is an event in itself. The trip back, by boat, adds even more to the experience. Top it off with dinner at 'Ohana...

What I love about DVC (and WDW hotels in general) is that they all offer such unique wow factors and experiences. So I’d pick based on the interests/personalities of your group, and depending what your plans are for the trip (which parks you’ll focus on etc). But in general for first timers, I think nothing beats a monorail resort. Classic Disney. Or if none of those options are available, AKV savanna view.

Nice to have options.

The weekends on either end of Presidents week are Presidents weekend and the Princess Half - both of those weekends are already somewhat booked in studios. (i.e. 7 mo availability will be tough).

Re Riviera, keep in mind that availability will open up sort of in chunks as sales progress & additional units are declared. My experience is that active sales is the best time to book a new DVC resort. I’d book my home resort and waitlist Riviera if that’s where I wanted to stay.

For first timers - pick a DVC with a “wow factor” lobby like Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge or a Polynesian studio (largest studio and on the monorail).

Good luck booking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter