Bringing Hawaii home

cgattis

DIS Veteran
Well I didn’t have a trip cancelled this year, but I’m sorry for those who did and those who live there but can’t even really enjoy it right now. I made
us a plate lunch for dinner just to relive some memories and look forward to some more.

Anybody want to share favorite recipes for Hawaiian dishes? I’d LOVE a big slice of haupia for dessert right now!!

Attachments

• 4C0D93CF-4B3F-454B-B22F-1F0D4CAE3245.jpeg
    4C0D93CF-4B3F-454B-B22F-1F0D4CAE3245.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 53
I don't have a recipe for it, but I would think its pretty easy to make my favorite - Loco Moko.

We make shave ice at home! We order the same syrup concentrates from Hawaiian Snow (Shave Ice Supplies), make 'shaved' ice in the blender, and enjoy our favourite Hawaiian treat on our patio. We also make Mickey waffles every few weeks. I would love a recipe for the papaya seed dressing they have at Aulani. I don't normally like papaya, but that dressing was delicious.

If you have access to a grocery store whose fish quality merits this, it's easy to make poke at home. Start with a pound or two of ahi-grade tuna (the fish guys know what this means) and either ask your fish counter to cut it up for poke or cut it into ½" chunks yourself. Then toss the tuna with:
  • ½ cup soy sauce
  • 1 tsp rice vinegar or slightly diluted white vinegar
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 1 tb toasted sesame oil (the brown kind)
  • 1 tb sesame seeds (toast them for a few seconds in a hot frying pan to bring up their flavor)
  • a dash or two of grated or dried ginger if you have some
  • a dash or two of garlic salt
  • (you can get fancy with crushed red pepper, Chinese chili sauce, or crushed macadamia nuts if you feel like it)
Serve with brown or white rice, lay out some chopsticks for the kids if you have them, and enjoy!

1586017005649.png

If you have access to a grocery store whose fish quality merits this, it's easy to make poke at home. Start with a pound or two of ahi-grade tuna (the fish guys know what this means) and either ask your fish counter to cut it up for poke or cut it into ½" chunks yourself. Then toss the tuna with:
  • ½ cup soy sauce
  • 1 tsp rice vinegar or slightly diluted white vinegar
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 1 tb toasted sesame oil (the brown kind)
  • 1 tb sesame seeds (toast them for a few seconds in a hot frying pan to bring up their flavor)
  • a dash or two of grated or dried ginger if you have some
  • a dash or two of garlic salt
  • (you can get fancy with crushed red pepper, Chinese chili sauce, or crushed macadamia nuts if you feel like it)
Serve with brown or white rice, lay out some chopsticks for the kids if you have them, and enjoy!

View attachment 485650
Yum!! I fell in love with poke in Hawaii so I’ll have to try this! Thanks!!

@cgattis thanks so much for starting this thread!

Our family LOVES Honolulu cookie company macadamia nut shortbread cookies. I have been trying different recipes and this one comes the closest to them, imho...

https://www.chowhound.com/post/iso-hawaiian-shortbread-recipe-482854
At Christmas, I substituted almond flour and they were really good too.
Oh yum!! Their cookies are awesome and I love shortbread of any kind! (Made peppermint chocolate chip ones at Xmas that were the bomb!). I will try this; thank you for sharing!

Whilst not a “Hawaiian” recipe, The Yardhouse Pokė Stack was the first way my husband and I ever ate Pokė whilst on Oahu. I make this recipe whoever we need a reminder of deliciousness from our many visits http://castsugar.blogspot.com/2008/10/hawaiian-poke-stack.html

We also as a family visit Roy’s numerous times on our trips so endamame and beef short ribs can also be replicated at home. https://www.royyamaguchi.com/recipes/edamame
https://food52.com/recipes/8656-not-roy-s-short-ribs

Oh yesss @kyton I have made Roy's shortribs too. They are so good. I made them once for a dinner party and my guests were raving.

I’ve never posted a Pinterest link before , so I hope this works...I found this recipe and my guys LOVE this Mac salad. I love recipes that tell me all the little extra hints and techniques they use besides what’s written down in just a regular recipe. Like here, where she adds her vinegar directly to the elbows, not in the sauce. We have a casserole recipe from my mother’s oldest sister (both now gone) which calls for a certain amount of milk, plus an extra half an eggshell worth😝. Guess I know where I inherited my dislike of dishwashing! Anyway, just wanted to share this.

https://pin.it/3BGjDWT

Kalua Pork - This recipe is very simple and fairly inexpensive as well. Its also great because you can use it a variety of different ways whether it's part of a plate style lunch, on top of salad greens, served on tacos, sandwich style, etc.

Ingredients:
1 (6 pound) pork butt roast
1 ½ tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring (Hickory)

1.) Pierce pork all over with a carving fork. Rub salt then liquid smoke over meat. Place roast in a slow cooker.
2.) Cover, and cook on Low for 16 to 20 hours, turning once during cooking time.
3.) Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred, adding drippings as needed to moisten.

Attachments

• 20180418_084523.jpg
    20180418_084523.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 6
Kalua Pork - This recipe is very simple and fairly inexpensive as well. Its also great because you can use it a variety of different ways whether it's part of a plate style lunch, on top of salad greens, served on tacos, sandwich style, etc.

Ingredients:
1 (6 pound) pork butt roast
1 ½ tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring (Hickory)

1.) Pierce pork all over with a carving fork. Rub salt then liquid smoke over meat. Place roast in a slow cooker.
2.) Cover, and cook on Low for 16 to 20 hours, turning once during cooking time.
3.) Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred, adding drippings as needed to moisten.
I do this also! Except I put cabbage in underneath mine for the last hour. Yum!

I do lazy keto and my most missed dish is (non-Keto) Loco Moco (especially Denny's drool). Last week I did a keto version of cauli rice panfried with chilli flakes topped with a wagyu beef patty, brown gravy with onions all topped with a egg over medium. Whilst it wasn't Denny's it sort of filled the hole :)

Kalua Pork...we use the exact same recipe as mentioned above. We serve it with fresh shredded purple cabbage and savory coconut rice:
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
  • 1 15oz. can coconut milk
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup water
Mix everything in a pot, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.

Kalua Pork...we use the exact same recipe as mentioned above. We serve it with fresh shredded purple cabbage and savory coconut rice:
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
  • 1 15oz. can coconut milk
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup water
Mix everything in a pot, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
Oh I am soooo making this! Thank you!! What do you do with your cabbage—cooked, slaw, or just raw shreds on top?

I saw a great fresh slaw recipe somewhere thatI use for fish tacos—shredded cabbage plus sour cream, a little sugar, and some lime juice. It’s super light and fresh tasting, and doesn’t have to sit before you eat it.

For the kalua pork and coconut rice, we just shred the purple cabbage and add it raw.

Thank you for the suggestion! Now I am adding fish tacos to my meal list for the week. I just wish I could get some good monchong fish in Minnesota...

My daughter knows how much I love Dole Whips so for Mother's Day she found a recipe online and made me one, complete with a plastic pineapple cup! All she did was blend vanilla ice cream, pineapple juice, and frozen pineapple chunks. Now I realize that isn't the way they make it for real (as Dole Whip is non-dairy, I believe) but it sure tasted darn near the same, so muchso that I'm planning on stopping for the fixins on my way home from work today!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts