Broken Ankle and a knee scooter: How does that work at WDW?

Get an ECV. The crowds at Disney get way too crazy. I broke my foot and sprained my ankle a few years ago. It's totally worth it.

Glad to hear it!
We got the scooter put together last night. My adult son Was amazed how high tech it was with “swing bars” etc. LoL. We can maneuver it in the House fine (me and the kids) but DH does some backing and having to make a couple attempts around furniture. I think I will keep an eye out for crutches or the smaller knee scooter on our local yard sale board for inside the house.

I told DH it is Murphy’s law, now that we have this, he won’t have any flare ups. :)

Overall I am very happy with it since if he needs it to get from his truck in his designated parking lot and walk over to his work compound to his office he will need the all terrain. The parking lots are outside the compound. Only a few of the VIP parking spaces and limited handicap spaces issued by the compound facility manager can park inside the coumpound.

Glad to hear it! The all terrain really saved our trip. (Def needed the extra seat pad though). Well Worth the cost, and if there is any chance he’ll need it again (as I will), it will be well worth the cost.
At Disney, we rolled onto every ride in the normal line except Space, Splash, BTMRR, Jungle, IASW, and maybe a couple of others. In the end, I was VERY impressed at how well they treat and take care of the mobility impaired. Kudos to Disney for sure.

Glad to hear it!

Glad to hear it! The all terrain really saved our trip. (Def needed the extra seat pad though). Well Worth the cost, and if there is any chance he’ll need it again (as I will), it will be well worth the cost.
At Disney, we rolled onto every ride in the normal line except Space, Splash, BTMRR, Jungle, IASW, and maybe a couple of others. In the end, I was VERY impressed at how well they treat and take care of the mobility impaired. Kudos to Disney for sure.
I know this is an old post, but this has been so helpful. I broke my leg 2 weeks ago, while running my 26th marathon. I am very athletic and in great shape and thought, no problem, I can do Disney on crutches. NO WAY am I going to attempt that! The past 2 weeks have been exhausting from hauling my body weight around. Definitely going to look in to the all terrain knee scooter.

I know this is an old post, but this has been so helpful. I broke my leg 2 weeks ago, while running my 26th marathon. I am very athletic and in great shape and thought, no problem, I can do Disney on crutches. NO WAY am I going to attempt that! The past 2 weeks have been exhausting from hauling my body weight around. Definitely going to look in to the all terrain knee scooter.
You might find a knee scooter not as helpful as you think. Try kneeling on a pellow for an hour or two then decide. You might do much better with an ECV that you can put your crutches on the back of to help you transfer to the ride vehicle with or even walk a small store with.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. All while running your 26th marathon?????? I get tired just DRIVING a marathon, let alone run it!
I agree. Crutches for any prolonged period of time, especially at Disney is close to impossible.

For an athlete like you, and even a complete non athlete like me, the knee scooter (all terrain version with the big pneumatic wheels and shock absorber) will be invaluable. Like I posted last year, I was able to scoot around WDW, about 8+ miles/day with my kids, and never missed a beat. We rope dropped each day, and went til late afternoon. My knee was sore by the end of the day, admittedly, but not any more sore than my feet get after a long day at Disney! I do highly recommend an extra pad though. The OEM seat is simply not comfortable enough for all day hardcore Disney.

As another poster mentioned, an ECV is a great idea as well. But for me, I preferred the much easier to manage knee scooter.

Either way, good luck!!!

Thanks for all your replies. I'm glad to see there is a disABILITIES forum! You all are so helpful!

I'm thinking of using my knee walker to get around the resorts, get to and from the parks from the buses, etc, then use my knee walker in the park. I've used one before for 2 months a few years ago (yes, I'm prone to injuries!), so I feel pretty comfortable using it all day long. That said, I must admit, the thought of uneven pavement or rough surfaces really concerns me, so I plan on renting an ECV on day 2 if necessary.
Do you think they will hold onto my knee scooter if I rent an ECV at the park?

I prefer to use my knee walker to get to the park, then rent an ECV in the park, as we will also be driving a lot in a relatively small car, and the thought of transporting an ECV seems a bit daunting to me (and not sure it would fit easily in the trunk?)

Thanks!
I would strongly advise against renting an ECV in the parks, they have been made so slow they barely (and sometimes can't) even get up a wheelchair ramp, not sure how they would work. I would suggest calling Gold Mobility (if possible know the year, make and model of the vehicle you will be driving) and they will guide you through the best options, even if that isn't renting from them. Seriously, most ECVs break down and can fit in the trunk of a car with fairly minimal effort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter