Budapest Tips

lpm23

Mouseketeer
hello

has anyone done the Budapest short escape or have tips on what to do in Budapest? we have two nights before doing the Danube trip.

thx

Budapest is a gorgeous, highly walkable city. If you are staying at the ABD hotel (the Marriott), it's on the Pest side of the river. I suggest walking across the Chain Bridge (very close by) and checking out the Palace (a museum now) and St Matthias church on the Buda side. There is a funicular you can take to get up to the top of Castle Hill.

I also walked to the Jewish district and visited the Dohány Street Synagogue, which is the largest synagogue in Europe, and very beautiful.

I've also heard that St Stephen’s Basilica on the Pest side is beautiful, although I did not make it there.

Enjoy your pre-days in Budapest! I only had my arrival pre-day and the morning before boarding the boat in Budapest, and it was totally NOT enough time!!

Sayhello

I’ve been to Budapest a couple times. Not sure where your hotel is but Budapest is a very walkable city, there are lots of outdoor cafes. It’s very Parisian like in that regard. Find a place, have a glass of wine and watch the world go by. The palaces and museums along the Danube are beautiful at night when lit. Heroes square has remarkable statues. Be sure to walk Andrassy Ave to get to Heroes square, there are lovely homes and many embassies. Take a walking tour of Castle Hill. It’s a wonderful city.

I've also heard that St Stephen’s Basilica on the Pest side is beautiful, although I did not make it there.

It was really pretty and the views from the top were stunning. Tip: THERE IS AN ELEVATOR. The ticket window is at the beginning of the stairs and we didn't realize this. Also Gelarto Rosa across from the street makes lovely "flower" gelato in a cone.

Budapest is a lovely city- we arrived 3 days before our ABD and I hired a guide for a general tour of the city and then a specific "coffee and cafes" which included a small artisan chocolate shop and lots of yummy pastries. If/when I return I'd live to explore the thermal baths for which Budapest is known. The history of the city is really fascinating and its only downside is after 2 visits I want to return. :)

We’re doing the Short Escape in June, but I’d like to find something for DS9 and I to do the morning of our cruise. I’ve read mixed opinions on whether the baths are appropriate for kids. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Lots of good info above. I'll just add that travelers should be aware that they do not use the Euro in Hungary. You'll want to have some Florents for those places that need cash.

Lots of good info above. I'll just add that travelers should be aware that they do not use the Euro in Hungary. You'll want to have some Florents for those places that need cash.
Good information! But also, if you insist, they have to accept Euros because they are a part of the EU. But they in general would rather not, and won't give you the best exchange rate if you ask. But it is possible. I found this out from one of our Adventure Guides.

Tobi

Budapest is a beautiful city, especially at night! The city is set around the Danube River with the "Buda" side and the "pest" side. The public transit system (bus and underground rail) are easily navigable, cheaply priced, and safe. Otherwise, taxis are an easy transportation mode too.

The Parliament tour is worthwhile and you get to see the Hungarian crown jewels. The best view of the city, again especially at night, is at Fisherman Bastion by Matthias Church. If you enjoy the opera, the Opera House is gorgeous and the shows are shown with English and German titles above the stage. If you enjoy history, the Museum on Terror and the Shoes along the Danube River are must sees then.

If time allows in your 2 days, I highly recommend a trip out to the Széchenyi Thermal Baths (there isn't much to eat around there so eat before hand or bring snacks). The baths are large and you can easily spend an enjoyable, relaxing afternoon there! Also be aware if going during a weekend because they have night parties with djs and lights, especially in the outdoor bath.

Enjoy the food & wine! My favorite is the mulled wine during colder weather. The oldest restaurant with excellent food and atmosphere is Szazeves Étterem- great for dinner.

Have a great trip!!

We’re doing the Short Escape in June, but I’d like to find something for DS9 and I to do the morning of our cruise. I’ve read mixed opinions on whether the baths are appropriate for kids. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!
We visited the Széchenyi Thermal Baths during the winter and highly recommend. There were multiple indoor baths with kids present. I would say ages 6+. HOWEVER, the baths are very European in culture, meaning there aren't many boundaries as Americans would be accustomed to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!