Bunk Beds

jsfein

Mouseketeer
I posted this in "Resorts" and figured this might be an even better place to post.

Will be traveling to WL with DS 4 1/2 and DS 3. Are these guys too young/little for bunk beds? They are both active sleepers and move all over their beds at home. I'm concerned with the top bunk (probably for my older son). Is there adequate bed rail type protection. If I opt to sleep them in a queen bed, will WL provide bed rails? Thanks.

Pretty sure you can ask for bed rails. I'd probably do that over bunkbeds for the little guys--JMO.

they do have bed rails. i think your kids will be a-ok. but you can always request a double double.

I know this sounds kooky, but if there is any way your kids could "practice" by sleeping in a bunk bed before the trip, it would help you. Maybe a relative or friend...
Yeah, I know you can't just invite them over, but maybe it's a possibility for you.
My children have a bunk bed. Whenever one of them was new to the top bunk, we would not only use the rails, but pile pillows by the bed rail. Hope this helps.

We have bunk beds in my younger dd's room - mostly for company, she is 6 and sleeps on the bottom. ALL over the bed are warnings (stickers like on a mattress LOL) not to put a child under five years old on the top bunk. Its not a cheap bunk bed mind you, it has very nice side rails and a good ladder. The reason is that the footing of a young child can be shakey especially at night when they are a bit disoriented. From what I have read its not the fall from the bed that's a concern. A child can slip and hit chin or fall from the ladder while getting down or up.

I am sure there are many 4yo's that can handle it but I would be cautious. For one thing make sure its sturdy, then check the ladder to make sure that every rung is evenly spaced. Some have larger spaces at the top making it more difficult for a drowsy child. If you want more detailed information 20/20 type newsmagazine shows have done lots of stories - a search should give you more than you want to know.

Personally I would use the double double configuration or the double queen daybed set up if available and your kids don't like to sleep together.

Have Fun
TJ

Oops missed your second question.

YES all the WDW resorts will provide bed rails, call CRO and have them make a note on your reservation. Then.....rather than reminding them at check in you may have better luck calling housekeeping after you get to the room. At least we have had better luck getting, porta crib, fridge and bedrails this way, HTH!

TJ

We just returned from AKL. We had bunk beds which we did not want, but we needed connecting rooms and this was all they had. We put DS1 on bottom bunk with bed rails. Easy to install and perfect for him. We put DS3 on top bunk. He was not able to climb up and down by himself. I was not worried about him falling out as rails were sturdy and high, but our first night there he woke up and was disoriented and cried for a light. There is a light switch near his head for his own light and I told him to flip it. But all he could see was the glow of the smoke detector on the wall next to his bunk. He got on his knees and was reaching for it when I screamed "STOP! I'll be right there." He would have fallen right off the bed. The bunk itself says it is not to be used by children under 6, although AKL staff assured us many 3 y/o use them. However, except for that one incident (the 1st night) and the inconvenience of having to lift him up and down, it was fine.
Still, if I were going back tomorrow, I would want the 2 queens with bed rails.

Hope this helps.

--mainebound

My sister broke her arm falling off a bunk at about 4.

I wouldn't put kids that young into them. A broken arm at Disney would be a real hassle.

My son (4) has a bunk - but the beds are currently unbunked and will remain that way for a few more years. Its stickers all say 6 as well. And once again, not a cheap bunk.

By the way, it wasn't sleeping that caused the broken arm. She scurried to the top of the bunk like a little monkey in the middle of the afternoon when my mother was distracted, and took a header off the top of the bed. I'd be more worried about mornings and evenings in a bunk than sleeping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter