Bus Accident Involving High School Band on Way Home from WDW

Not everyone feels that way. I absolutely did not feel the same when my gma (whom I was very close to) died at 87 as I did when my dad died at 62. Not at all. My gma made me sad, but I understood she was old & we can’t live forever & it was going to happen sooner or later. For my dad, I felt cheated & still do since he didn’t even make it to average age.

You're agreeing with cruiser

This is going to sound horrible, but I was just the slightest bit relieved to learn the person dead was the bus driver.

I do get this. Obviously, I wish everyone had made it! But if the driver had made it, and a student had died, that driver would have felt awful for the rest of their life, lost their job, etc. Two families' lives would have been turned upside down, instead of one.

You feel the same when a 99 year old dies as when a 10 year old dies? I'm sorry I've been to few funerals of people aged 80+. It was a celebration of their life not a mourning. Anyone that makes it to old age is blessed.
Yes I do feel the same way - sad. Do I celebrate someone who made it to their 90's - sure I do. Did I mourn 3 close friends of mine who died at age 16 - you bet I did. But the way I am the thought would never cross my mind when I saw this story to say to myself, or post on a public board for that fact, that I'm glad or relieved the bus driver was the one who died and not the kids. As I said, whether you are 1 or 99 a life is a life and it's sad when you lose it.

Yes I do feel the same way - sad. Do I celebrate someone who made it to their 90's - sure I do. Did I mourn 3 close friends of mine who died at age 16 - you bet I did. But the way I am the thought would never cross my mind when I saw this story to say to myself, or post on a public board for that fact, that I'm glad or relieved the bus driver was the one who died and not the kids. As I said, whether you are 1 or 99 a life is a life and it's sad when you lose it.
I wouldn't post that either, but I still feel more remorse when I read a story about a child that died. I think it's a perfectly normal feeling. A lot of people would probably risk their own life to save a child so I don't think its' anything out of ordinary to have those feelings.

I wouldn't post that either, but I still feel more remorse when I read a story about a child that died. I think it's a perfectly normal feeling. A lot of people would probably risk their own life to save a child so I don't think its' anything out of ordinary to have those feelings.
Isn't it amazing how you can take one situation like this post and have different ways to look at it? :) when you say a lot of people would risk their own life to save a child I look at that thinking "A lot of people would risk their life to save anyone"

Isn't it amazing how you can take one situation like this post and have different ways to look at it? :) when you say a lot of people would risk their own life to save a child I look at that thinking "A lot of people would risk their life to save anyone"

A lot of people would. In fact I think most people would.

But just an example, a man drowned while fishing locally last weekend. There were three people in the boat, the man who drowned, another grown man and a young teen boy. The boat tipped over and all three went into the water. The other man was a strong swimmer and got the boy to the bank first and then when back for the other man. He couldn’t save him. Now, he will probably always regret that he couldn’t save the other man but given the choice again I would bet dollars to donuts that he would make the exact same choice. It is human nature to protect the young.

And I would also bet that when that child’s mother first heard that someone drowned, she went into a panic and for a brief moment felt relief when she then was told it was an adult. They were all friends so not like she will not grieve her lost friend but for the briefest of moments I would bet she was ever so glad it wasn’t her son.

True but I think it's more of a natural instinct when it comes to children. I wouldn't hesitate to run out on a busy street to pull a child to safety. I'd probably do it save a dog too. An adult? probably not. My first thought would be what's this idiot doing? Are they drunk, high etc. It really depends on the situation. It not something you can generalize.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!