Buying an AP

cinciindisney

Earning My Ears
I'm a solo traveller from Ohio and will be traveling to Disney in March for a Monday through Friday trip with 3 day park-hoppers. My question is if it would be worth my money to buy a annual pass, since I would most likely be traveling back to Disney in October for my 30th bday. Same type of trip, Monday through Friday: 3 day park-hopper.

I'm a solo traveller from Ohio and will be traveling to Disney in March for a Monday through Friday trip with 3 day park-hoppers. My question is if it would be worth my money to buy a annual pass, since I would most likely be traveling back to Disney in October for my 30th bday. Same type of trip, Monday through Friday: 3 day park-hopper.

The rule of thumb is to add up the value of the days, parkhoppers, parking, as well as discounts. I cant see you breaking even with an AP for six days but check the math on both.

Hi @cinciindisney! I'm considering a similar decision and am leaning towards yes. Our birthdays are super close & I live in Ohio too!

We're visiting in December this year but want to try to make two short trips around the flower show & halloween next year. Even if we only go one more time, we'd be breaking close to even. That's before considering the discounts/photopass type perks. Shorter PH tickets are pretty pricey, so just do the math on your planned trips. Also bear in mind that prices are likely to increase on both soon. It's a lot to spend, which is why I'm hesitating, but I definitely think it can work in your advantage-especially if you don't shop third party ticket sellers. The downside is it's a net loss if your future plans/finances change before the next trip.

Let us know what you decide to do, & hope you have fun!

Another thing to consider is that if you get an AP, you could go the park for a few hours on the days you are traveling (if you wanted to). That was the deciding factor for me.

OP, I am probably just north of you in Ohio and I have an AP. I base the AP on my first trip to make sure I will get enough use out of the AP so if something falls through for a second trip, I do not lose too much money.

2 - 3 day park hoppers would currently be $743.38 (tax included)
1 - AP, Platinum (no water parks) is currently $829.64

So, for a $86.26 difference, you would have to figure out if you would make that difference up during those stays, which for me would be easy to do, but might not for some. If staying off site and driving to the parks, you would save $20/day in parking so right there would be the difference in cost. If staying on site, you could save that if there was an AP room discount available. Whether you stay on site or off site, you could even save the ~$90 just in discounts on merchandise/food. Plus, with an AP, if you want you can even go to on of the parks for just a couple of hours if you wanted on your arrival/departure days if you have time.

For my trip in January/February 2017, I had purchased a 7 day PH. There was a strong possibility of a second trip in June 2017, so I debated on upgrading to the AP. I more than paid for my AP with just my first trip by calling WDW and applying the AP discount to my room and then using the available discounts on merchandise and dining. For my second trip in June, I did not have to buy park tickets and I got a room discount. I also got the discounts for merchandise/dining again.

Now, I am currently booked to go again in January 2018, with my stay ending just a couple of days before my AP expires. Again, I will not have to purchase park tickets and I will hopefully be able to apply an AP discount to the room. The dining discounts will not be as good as in 2017, but the merchandise discount will be helpful.

Short answer--NO. I will have a total of 20 park days this year and that's the only reason I bought it--and actually on one of the trips used AP to book 2 rooms. Less than 15 days a year, it would really be a matter of checking to see if you are getting a stellar discount on your resort or booking multiple rooms. For 10 days or less, I can't imagine it's worth the price. There are probably other posts on this site that discuss this issue as well as other websites--I know one for sure, but not sure about mentioning it here on this site.

Another thing to consider is that if you get an AP, you could go the park for a few hours on the days you are traveling (if you wanted to). That was the deciding factor for me.
Agree with this. Two 3 day passes are still cheaper than an AP, and I personally don't include the discounts when I figure if it's worth it for me (10% isn't a lot unless you eat in the parks a ton, and the hotel discounts have been garbage this year). The one exception is free parking - if you're staying off site that makes a $20/day difference. But if you're skipping a half day in the parks on each end of your trip because it's a travel day (don't go the day you arrive or leave), getting the AP is nice. Then you're getting a lot more park time!

Short answer--NO. I will have a total of 20 park days this year and that's the only reason I bought it--and actually on one of the trips used AP to book 2 rooms. Less than 15 days a year, it would really be a matter of checking to see if you are getting a stellar discount on your resort or booking multiple rooms. For 10 days or less, I can't imagine it's worth the price. There are probably other posts on this site that discuss this issue as well as other websites--I know one for sure, but not sure about mentioning it here on this site.
I've seen many answers to this effect but can't figure out the math. For long trips, makes total sense. But the shorter the ticket the higher the price. What am I missing?

For two adults, PH, purchased online in advance:

One day: $371
Two days: $552
Three days: $744
Four days: $906

The cost for two Platinum Passes is $1660.

If we flew down twice and managed three days each time we'd be $112 shy of breaking even. That can be easily justified with the photo inclusion/convenience.

One three day and one two day? $364 loss.

If we managed one three day and one four day, that's $50 saved.

Three two day trips? $56 saved.

Three three day trips? $572 saved.

The savings become better if you finance the passes with giftcards. This also does not factor the inevitable price increases that will happen on everything. If you're reasonably sure you'll be visiting at least twice, for at least three days both times, it seems like a rational gamble-especially as you could squeeze in time on travel days. So what is it I'm missing?

If I spring, it will be with the goal of the 3/3 trifecta which makes it worth it. My hesitation is the continued increase in lodging costs. We scored a companion pass for flights and are hoping to get a lot of short lower cost trips in during 2018 across the US. It is a gamble, but I don't see where it's a bad decision. Enlighten me?

ETA: in OP's scenario, two three day trips for one would be $744, and the AP would be $830. That's if there are no price changes. If they managed to justify $86 with photos, discounts, parking, etc. then it makes sense to me.

Last edited:
The Platinum AP is $679 (plus tax) per Disney's Website. Not sure where north of $800 is coming from unless that's for the Platinum Plus with tax which includes Water Parks, Golf, etc...That includes Free PhotoPass Downloads, which is a $169 value assuming you would have bought Memory Maker had you not had the AP. A 3-Day Park Hopper is $349 (plus tax). a 3-Day Single Park is $289.

$679
-$169 (Memory Maker)
-$349 (3-Day Park Hopper, 1st Trip)
-$349 (3-Day Park Hopper, 2nd Trip)
-----------------------------------------
$188 SAVED

$679
-$169 (Memory Maker)
-$289 (3-Day Single Park, 1st Trip)
-$289 (3-Day Single Park, 2nd Trip)
$68 SAVED

That is without considering any discounts such as Free Parking (only applicable if staying off site), Room Only Passholder Discounts (Hard to Find, but they are out there), 20% Off at most shops, and 10-20% Off at most dining. If you never stay on site, you'll also save $12.99 by getting a free MagicBand with your AP. If you go twice for 3 Days you save $19 even before you consider Free PhotoPass.

If you only went once (2nd trip fell through lets say), you would pay an extra $161 for the Annual Pass minus any discounts. Also, it is worth noting that the savings are greater the more trips you take as the per day price declines so sharply with each additional day you add onto your ticket. For example, 2 x 2-Day (4 Days total) Park Hoppers cost $3 more than a single 10 Day Park Hopper.

Last edited:
The Platinum AP is $679 (plus tax) per Disney's Website. Not sure where north of $800 is coming from unless that's for the Platinum Plus with tax which includes Water Parks, Golf, etc...That includes Free PhotoPass Downloads, which is a $169 value assuming you would have bought Memory Maker had you not had the AP. A 3-Day Park Hopper is $349 (plus tax). a 2-Day Single Park is $289.

$679
-$169 (Memory Maker)
$188 SAVED

$679
-$169 (Memory Maker)
$68 SAVED

That is without considering any discounts such as Free Parking (only applicable if staying off site), Room Only Passholder Discounts (Hard to Find, but they are out there), 20% Off at most shops, and 10-20% Off at most dining. If you never stay on site, you'll also save $12.99 by getting a free MagicBand with your AP.

If you only went once (2nd trip fell through lets say), you would pay an extra $161 for the Annual Pass minus any discounts. Also, it is worth noting that the savings are greater the more trips you take as the per day price declines so sharply with each additional day you add onto your ticket. For example, 2 x 2-Day (4 Days total) Park Hoppers cost $3 more than a single 10 Day Park Hopper.

You are right. Unless you specifically want the water parks(like I personally would) and extras, I would go with the Platinum pass. Plus, the OP should look into bridging(plenty of threads on here about that) a ticket from an authorized vendor, which can save a little money on the pass.

The Platinum AP is $679 (plus tax) per Disney's Website. Not sure where north of $800 is coming from unless that's for the Platinum Plus with tax which includes Water Parks, Golf, etc...That includes Free PhotoPass Downloads, which is a $169 value assuming you would have bought Memory Maker had you not had the AP. A 3-Day Park Hopper is $349 (plus tax). a 3-Day Single Park is $289.

$679
-$169 (Memory Maker)
$188 SAVED

$679
-$169 (Memory Maker)
$68 SAVED

That is without considering any discounts such as Free Parking (only applicable if staying off site), Room Only Passholder Discounts (Hard to Find, but they are out there), 20% Off at most shops, and 10-20% Off at most dining. If you never stay on site, you'll also save $12.99 by getting a free MagicBand with your AP. If you go twice for 3 Days you save $19 even before you consider Free PhotoPass.

Sorry, but these figures do not match current pricing.
Screenshot_2017-08-24-17-33-00.png Screenshot_2017-08-24-17-33-45.png

ETA: the prices increased in February of 2017, for anyone who wants to factcheck me. Research is life, & I don't like to contribute to fallacy. ;)

Last edited:
View attachment 264342 View attachment 264343

Apparently they just did another price increase. Still, with the price difference I would go with the Plus option. When you are talking about that kind of money, what's another $80? I do wish Disney would offer payments to out of state residents, but then, I guess they don't want to lose money by selling these to people who will make excuses to use them. It is a strange phenomena but if you live close to a tourist attraction, you are less likely to go for some reason.

Apparently they just did another price increase. Still, with the price difference I would go with the Plus option. When you are talking about that kind of money, what's another $80? I do wish Disney would offer payments to out of state residents, but then, I guess they don't want to lose money by selling these to people who will make excuses to use them. It is a strange phenomena but if you live close to a tourist attraction, you are less likely to go for some reason.
It has been at that pricepoint since early February.

I don't trust waterparks much these days, and wouldn't go often or long enough to visit. Agreed that if you will go it's likely worth it though.

It has been at that pricepoint since early February.

I don't trust waterparks much these days, and wouldn't go often or long enough to visit. Agreed that if you will go it's likely worth it though.

I haven't checked the pass prices for a while, since I am more concerned with my getting to know the parks first(first time in the main parks next month). I went to Blizzard Beach back in May and enjoyed it thorough, even when I was airborne. Well, enjoyed everything but the ski lift. Was nervous that would fall with me in it.

6 days probably isn't worth it. The only ways it might make sense would be if all of these are true: You are offsite and would otherwise have to pay $20/day parking, you have all your meals onsite at restaurants that will give you a discount, you are planning on buying a tremendous amount ($$$$) of merchandise where you'll get some passholder discount. The breakeven is usually at least about 10 park entry days. If you could squeeze in another trip inside the year where you would otherwise have at least 3 sets of 3 day hoppers, it might work out.

6 days probably isn't worth it. The only ways it might make sense would be if all of these are true: You are offsite and would otherwise have to pay $20/day parking, you have all your meals onsite at restaurants that will give you a discount, you are planning on buying a tremendous amount ($$$$) of merchandise where you'll get some passholder discount. The breakeven is usually at least about 10 park entry days. If you could squeeze in another trip inside the year where you would otherwise have at least 3 sets of 3 day hoppers, it might work out.

Yeah. Agreed. I am able to go for about 12+ days a year, not counting water parks(the water parks only AP pays for itself after 2 visits to either water park, but most people wouldn't go to those enough to warrant it). I tend to take longer trips later in the year though, and 3 day trips otherwise.

View attachment 264342 View attachment 264343

ETA: the prices increased in February of 2017, for anyone who wants to factcheck me. Research is life, & I don't like to contribute to fallacy. ;)

[EDIT] I think you are right. Strangely, when I actually click to buy the pass it shows the higher pricing. The wrong price shows on the comparison screen even when logged out of MDE or using a browser I've never used to access MDE. Either a system glitch or its detecting I'm located in Florida by my IP and offering me Florida Resident rates.

ap.png

Screenshot from 2 minutes ago. I logged out of my MDE account to be sure it wasn't quoting me discounted princes. Same prices from a different browser also.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passes/

Last edited:
I think you are right though. Strangely, when I actually click to buy the pass it shows the higher pricing. The wrong price shows on the comparison screen even when logged out of MDE or using a browser I've never used to access MDE. Either a system glitch or its detecting I'm located in Florida by my IP and offering me Florida Resident rates.

I think you are right though. Strangely, when I actually click to buy the pass it shows the higher pricing. The wrong price shows on the comparison screen even when logged out of MDE or using a browser I've never used to access MDE. Either a system glitch or its detecting I'm located in Florida by my IP and offering me Florida Resident rates.

I would call Disney and they should be able to give you a quote over the phone. On the parking, between Disney transportation, Uber(or Lyft), or parking at nearby resorts or Disney Springs, plenty of legit ways around that fee.

Florida residents do get some kind of offer, but you're supposed to have to sign in to see it. But, as we know, Disney isn't the best with having an operational and accurate web system. Ah well. The OP is an Ohio resident like me regardless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!