Buying Back Into DVC

Just to clarify, we aren’t considering this just for this Christmas. The thought of having a nice villa to have our family members and/or friends to come along with their young children is very enticing to us. Yes, we probably don’t need to do Disney many more times but the idea of being able to share it with loved ones is a good feeling. My dad passed away 2 weeks and left us a decent amount of money. Purchasing this for family and friends would put a smile on his face for sure.

Last edited:

Just to clarify, we aren’t considering this just for this Christmas. The thought of having a nice villa to have our family members and/or friends to come along with their young children is very enticing to us. Yes, we probably don’t need to do Disney many more times but the idea of being able to share it with loved ones is a good feeling. My dad passed away 2 weeks and left us a decent amount of money. Purchasing this for family and friends would put a smile on his face for sure.

This is nice and one of the very best uses of DVC. In the process you may very well fall back in like/love with your membership and use it more often for yourselves. Good luck with your purchase.

As far as the trip you wanted to take over Christmas, have you considered looking for confirmed reservations through a broker or on a rent/trade board? There could be some out there, plans change and someone may be trying to rent theirs out instead of canceling.

I have looked on boards for rentals, etc. No luck yet.

There is a 2 bedroom available at AKV for me this Christmas that I can use our points for if we finalize and buy back into DVC.

I have looked on boards for rentals, etc. No luck yet.

There is a 2 bedroom available at AKV for me this Christmas that I can use our points for if we finalize and buy back into DVC.

Nice. Are you going to buy AKV or Copper Creek? Either way I hope it works out for you.

In reading your posts you started out with selling just 3 years ago because you couldn't see yourselves going back to Disney that often? Have you given complete consideration to that? Is this something that really will be ongoing or is it really just a trip now and then.

Using some estimates that should be relatively realistic:

• You have this Christmas covered for $3,000 out of pocket.
  • You're aware of resale.
  • You owned and sold 3 years ago.
  • You have money in your pockets
  • Your favorite location is AKV savannah view. 250 AKV points can be bought resale for$28-$29k And if you decide to sell it's going to sell for a similar amount less commission - so lets say your net from a sale would be in the $25-26K range - an estimated loss of $4K +/-.
  • CCV 250 points can be purchased for $42K. And if you decide to sell it's going maybe going to sell for $34K-35K +/-. A loss somewhere in the range of $7-8K range. In the meantime your home booking is not at the resort you know you love and paying higher annual dues. And if you use it to trade to AKV the majority of the time the room cost just became that much higher because you own at CCV direct, not AKV resale.

If you buy resale at AKV vs CCV you can pay around $14K less - well below the $3,000 being spent for this Christmas trip. If you once again decide it's not going to be that appealing for your family to go regularly then you can sell again for approx 1/2 the loss you'd have if that same thing happened and you had bought CCV. If you spend the $3k this year and buy AKV resale it's still around $11K more left in your pocket. And that's more the cost of getting a 2BR at AKV this christmas via buying DVC vs staying Swan/Dolphin. Wouldn't your dad also like that? Wouldn't you?

Going a bit further, you could take that $3,000 and apply it towards a 2BR cash. I don't know your exact dates but covering high Christmas time for a week it's approx $9K at OKW for a 2BR. Even doing that and buying AKV resale leaves $5K in your pocket that buying CCV won't. Leaving the stay as you've already booked it is not bad and the $11K in savings would cover approx 6 years of annual dues on that AKV contract.

KAT4DISNEY-Thanks for your financial analysis. I did a similar one and offer the following comments and figures:

1. I want to go to WDW 12/23/18-12/30/18.Flights are not booked yet but that is the preferred week.
  2. I have 2 rooms booked at the Swan, one using Marriott points and one for $3,000. This totals about $6,000 after placing a value on the points.
  3. I am looking at changing our reservation to a 2 bedroom DVC villa, preferably AKV.
  4. I do not want to stay at OKW this Christmas.
  5. I do not know all of the places to book a cash reservation. One of the more popular websites lists the cost of a 2 bedroom at AKV Savannah view at $7,328 which is the equivalent of $16 per point for that week. That's only about $1,300 more than 2 rooms at the Swan which I think is totally worth it. I apparently misread the rental cost when I previously looked at it.
  6. We absolutely plan on visiting with family with their young kids over the coming years. We have typically traveled for only 4-5 nights at a time on our previous WDW trips.
  7. CCV has an expiration date of 2068 and AKV's expiration date is 2057, both of which are beyond my projected life expectancy!
There are AKV resales on the market for $112-$118 per point. So let's call it about $28,000-$29,000 for 250 points. A direct purchase at CCV costs $42,000 for 250 points. That's a difference of $13,000-$14,000. We are in agreement so far.

Maybe I should just rent the vacation for this Christmas at AKV for $7,328 and pause for a while. We won't have family joining us at WDW for at least 1-2 years and resales will always be available.

1. I do not know all of the places to book a cash reservation. One of the more popular websites lists the cost of a 2 bedroom at AKV Savannah view at $7,328 which is the equivalent of $16 per point for that week. That's only about $1,300 more than 2 rooms at the Swan which I think is totally worth it. I apparently misread the rental cost when I previously looked at it...
Maybe I should just rent the vacation for this Christmas at AKV for $7,328 and pause for a while. We won't have family joining us at WDW for at least 1-2 years and resales will always be available.
Not sure where you are looking - do you know that they definitely have availability?
If you are looking at one of the point rental brokers sites, such as David’s, they can only get a reservation for you if there are villas available via DVC and right now there is nothing available for the week of Christmas in a 2 br. villa anywhere. Disney has 2 br.s at Kidani for cash, but those are quite pricey.
I agree, a pause is the wisest course, but sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants, especially after the loss of a loved one. If you are able to get a 2 br. at AKV for a reasonable price, great, if not are there ways to make your current stay more special? Perhaps add a couple of behind the scenes tours or plan to visit the DVC resorts to see the Christmas decorations and to get a feeling for which DVC resort is the best fit for you going forward.

Not sure where you are looking - do you know that they definitely have availability?
If you are looking at one of the point rental brokers sites, such as David’s, they can only get a reservation for you if there are villas available via DVC and right now there is nothing available for the week of Christmas in a 2 br. villa anywhere. Disney has 2 br.s at Kidani for cash, but those are quite pricey.
I agree, a pause is the wisest course, but sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants, especially after the loss of a loved one. If you are able to get a 2 br. at AKV for a reasonable price, great, if not are there ways to make your current stay more special? Perhaps add a couple of behind the scenes tours or plan to visit the DVC resorts to see the Christmas decorations and to get a feeling for which DVC resort is the best fit for you going forward.

David’s list the cost of the AKV 2BR but they would obviously need to verify availability. I really want to stay at a DVC resort this Christmas compared to 2 rooms at the Swan.

I just saw that David's has 4 nights at SSR over Christmas 2 bedroom for under 3K. Confirmed reservation.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are loaded! If thata the case and you are looking for a charity why not just get the 240 points and borrow from next three years and stay in a grand villa and then donate to me?!?!

It sounds like you are loaded! If thata the case and you are looking for a charity why not just get the 240 points and borrow from next three years and stay in a grand villa and then sell to me?!?!

Me and my family will toast you every year for decades to come!

KAT4DISNEY-Thanks for your financial analysis. I did a similar one and offer the following comments and figures:

1. I want to go to WDW 12/23/18-12/30/18.Flights are not booked yet but that is the preferred week.
  2. I have 2 rooms booked at the Swan, one using Marriott points and one for $3,000. This totals about $6,000 after placing a value on the points.
  3. I am looking at changing our reservation to a 2 bedroom DVC villa, preferably AKV.
  4. I do not want to stay at OKW this Christmas.
  5. I do not know all of the places to book a cash reservation. One of the more popular websites lists the cost of a 2 bedroom at AKV Savannah view at $7,328 which is the equivalent of $16 per point for that week. That's only about $1,300 more than 2 rooms at the Swan which I think is totally worth it. I apparently misread the rental cost when I previously looked at it.
  6. We absolutely plan on visiting with family with their young kids over the coming years. We have typically traveled for only 4-5 nights at a time on our previous WDW trips.
  7. CCV has an expiration date of 2068 and AKV's expiration date is 2057, both of which are beyond my projected life expectancy!
There are AKV resales on the market for $112-$118 per point. So let's call it about $28,000-$29,000 for 250 points. A direct purchase at CCV costs $42,000 for 250 points. That's a difference of $13,000-$14,000. We are in agreement so far.

David’s list the cost of the AKV 2BR but they would obviously need to verify availability. I really want to stay at a DVC resort this Christmas compared to 2 rooms at the Swan.

I was just looking at the Disney website for cash availability when I wrote my earlier post and OKW had a 2BR while there was no cash availability for AKV for the dates I used (Dec 24-31st). Davids is a broker for owners to connect to renters and they have the same availability as all other owners, no more and no less. They just calculate what the cost would be but without availability it's a mute point. You would need to find a confirmed reservation to rent because the availability isn't there to book a new reservation.

But I do think you need to pause for awhile. The Swan is a good hotel and a great location! I still reiterate how it's $3,000 out of pocket. Yes, the Starwood points have value but they are something you already "paid" for vs when your looking at a brand new cash outlay for a CCV purchase direct to stay at AKV in a 2BR on this one particular trip at a significantly higher cost (thousands of dollars more - would you pay $12-$14K to stay at WDW for that week otherwise?). DVC is nice, but not that nice! In this instance I think you can keep an eye out for any confirmed reservations to show up for rent but otherwise just chalk it up to not planning quite far enough in advance to get the exact accommodation you would like to have.

If you did want a larger room you might look at something like Bonnet Creek. I see a 2BR for just over $4,000 for your dates. Personally I'd be quite happy with 2 rooms at the Swan over Christmas though.

I really want to add one night to my Dec. AKV 2 br. reservation -but I can’t because all of the villas are booked. I’ve had that extra night wait listed for months and I’ve checked availability at AKV for 2 br.s in Dec. every day for months and AKV has been booked for Dec. except for an occasional 1 night opening for months. David’s looks at the same member site that I look at, so all they’ll be able to do is verify that there is no availability.

It sounds like you are loaded! If thata the case and you are looking for a charity why not just get the 240 points and borrow from next three years and stay in a grand villa and then donate to me?!?!

I will get right on that and will let you know when I do it! :)

I really want to add one night to my Dec. AKV 2 br. reservation -but I can’t because all of the villas are booked. I’ve had that extra night wait listed for months and I’ve checked availability at AKV for 2 br.s in Dec. every day for months and AKV has been booked for Dec. except for an occasional 1 night opening for months. David’s looks at the same member site that I look at, so all they’ll be able to do is verify that there is no availability.

I hear you.....maybe we can just come stay with you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter