Buying tickets online. Mastercard only? Disney claims to accept others.

ryankski

Mouseketeer
So I tried to buy tickets with my Visa with no luck. I've read (some info being a few years old) that they only accept MasterCard, but then read of people having issues even with MasterCard. Per Tokyo Disneyland's website they do accept Visa (here) as long as it is 3-D secure aka Verified by Visa. After it was denied a couple times for not being setup for 3-D secure, I called my card issuer and they tried to verify it on their end (as my card should work with this) and of course then it didn't say it needed to be 3-D secure and just that it didn't authorize.

None of my credit cards are MasterCard and only my debit cards are. Anyone had any luck recently buying ahead of time and what cards (visa/mastercard) and card type (debit/credit) worked. I don't think I will use my debit and may just wait and get the tickets at the disney store then in Shibuya or Shinjuku, but would like to just have them in my hand before boarding the plane.

I haven't bought park tickets but I did manage to book my hotel using a Visa Debit so maybe give that a go?

None of my Visa are "Visa Verified" and even my Chase branded Mastercard wouldn't work. I ended up using my Barclay's Arrival Mastercard which is PIN enabled to purchase my tickets online.

I tried to book tickets online for both the parks and the hotels in 2015, using both Mastercard and Visa debit cards. No matter what I did, the transactions wouldn't go through. In the end I missed out on being able to book any of the Disney hotels, but did book another great one nearby using Expedia AU instead.

I too like to have all my tickets etc in hand before leaving home, but in the end had to concede defeat. We ended up buying the tickets from one of the Disney stores in Tokyo when we got there. My Mastercard debit worked there perfectly without any problem.

Mastercard worked for us but declined the first time, had to contact them to assure them it was a legit transaction then it went through fine.

I just used my Chase Visa to book a hotel vacation package w/ TDR. I had very frustrating problems and was declined at least 3 times before it finally went through. Also tried a MasterCard that was rejected. First, I did the Verified by Visa website registration following the link provided by TDR and contacted my credit card to let them know that I would be making the purchase. Then I called my credit card company and asked them if there was a special code I should be using for the security code field on the booking site. I was told to just use the CVV on my card (the 3 numbers next to my signature line on the back of my card) for that field and that a note would be put in my account that this would be an authorized purchase. Despite getting in touch with Visa twice about the upcoming purchase before trying, it was rejected and I got an email and text from my credit card company asking if I had authorized the charge. I replied to both indicating that it was not a fraudulent charge attempt and tried again but it again didn't work and by the time the second attempt went through everything was booked up for the night I wanted. The following day I tried again, was rejected, called my credit card company again, was told that a note would be put in my account to authorize the purchase (hmm - deja vu). By this time I felt like I was on a merry-go-round from credit card hell but tried a 4th time and was finally successful! Long story short, my tips are these: register your card with the Verified by Visa (TDR has a link on their site to do this), contact your card to advise them of the purchase, try completing the purchase, if it fails the first time contact your card again confirming the purchase attempt was authorized, have patience and faith and try again.

I've been trying all day to buy our e-tickets for the parks. Every card gets declined / is not authorized even though I go through all the verification processes and called my banks. Why is it so difficult? USAA Visa, HSBC Mastercard, Chase Visa, Chase debit....all declined. I guess we have no choice but to wait until we get there?

I've been trying all day to buy our e-tickets for the parks. Every card gets declined / is not authorized even though I go through all the verification processes and called my banks. Why is it so difficult? USAA Visa, HSBC Mastercard, Chase Visa, Chase debit....all declined. I guess we have no choice but to wait until we get there?

Sorry I have no advice about the credit card issue. But unless you're going during a super busy time, you can just buy it when you get there. Are you worried about tickets selling out? If you're staying at a Disney hotel, or an "official" hotel (Hilton Tokyo Bay, Sheraton Tokyo Bay, etc) - guests are guaranteed admission.

Sorry I have no advice about the credit card issue. But unless you're going during a super busy time, you can just buy it when you get there. Are you worried about tickets selling out? If you're staying at a Disney hotel, or an "official" hotel (Hilton Tokyo Bay, Sheraton Tokyo Bay, etc) - guests are guaranteed admission.

I was just anxious to get our tickets when we hit 60 days out, I'm a planner and like to have everything in advance. Crowd levels look low for the days we'll be there (April 18-20). We're not staying at an official hotel as the prices are too high for us, so it looks like we'll just wait to get there. Doing 3 days TDR and 4 days exploring Tokyo. So psyched!

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure your Mastercard must have “Masterpass” activated to be used with the TDR system. It was pretty quick and easy to set up online.

The issue is actually with the issuing country and not whether it is Visa, MasterCard, etc. Japan is not that open to foreigners so your mileage may vary with credit cards that aren't issued in Japan. Of course, you can try calling whatever phone number is related to your credit card but once you've got your travel authorization cleared, you can still get rejected by the Japan side.

Last time, I just bought the tickets at a Family Mart using cash the day before (again credit card won't work here). I've never heard of a JCB card getting rejected but most foreigners don't have those. I will have a couple new credit cards to try out for my upcoming Japan trip and will have time to stop by Shibuya before I visit TDR so I may have a better strategy for purchasing TDR tickets in the future.

This is 2nd year I have had problems purchasing Disneyland tickets online. When I tried to purchase 4 tickets costing more than $1,100, the system complained and requested additional information and clears the credit card information. I again and again entered correct credit card (VISA) information, but the system would reject. I checked my VISA balance, it showed 6 transaction of $1,273. Called the credit card company and asked them not to honor it.

Because I was afraid what might happen if I try to buy the tickets, my husband tried using another credit card (Master Card), but his was rejected also. We finally called to purchase the tickets and the ticket agent explained to us that their system is extremely sensitive and that if the address we enter does not match exactly as the financial institution's address (e.g., PO Box vs PO BOX are NOT a match), the system rejects.

I do lots of online shopping and NEVER have this problem as Disneyland. I think they should upgrade their system to accommodate; security, I appreciate, but hassles, I do not. I buy tickets for my son's family every year and i just wish I will be able to purchase the tickets online without any problem in the future, but unfortunately, I think I am just dreaming.

This is 2nd year I have had problems purchasing Disneyland tickets online. When I tried to purchase 4 tickets costing more than $1,100, the system complained and requested additional information and clears the credit card information. I again and again entered correct credit card (VISA) information, but the system would reject. I checked my VISA balance, it showed 6 transaction of $1,273. Called the credit card company and asked them not to honor it.

Because I was afraid what might happen if I try to buy the tickets, my husband tried using another credit card (Master Card), but his was rejected also. We finally called to purchase the tickets and the ticket agent explained to us that their system is extremely sensitive and that if the address we enter does not match exactly as the financial institution's address (e.g., PO Box vs PO BOX are NOT a match), the system rejects.

I do lots of online shopping and NEVER have this problem as Disneyland. I think they should upgrade their system to accommodate; security, I appreciate, but hassles, I do not. I buy tickets for my son's family every year and i just wish I will be able to purchase the tickets online without any problem in the future, but unfortunately, I think I am just dreaming.
Hi Sue :wave2: This is the Tokyo Disneyland forum. Were you looking for the Disneyland (California) forum?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!