Cabana Bay or Royal Pacific?

JAMIESMITH

DIS Veteran
My family is looking at going to Universal Orlando for a 5-6 days in mid-October 2018 (during the school's fall break). We have a daughter who will be eleven and another who will be 2 1/2. I'm weighing these two hotels and I'm still confused as to which one is the best fit for our family. Please help!

I think we would like the lazy river and bowling alley at Cabana Bay. I'm also thinking it might be a little easier for my husband to make his way to a smoking area since some of the rooms go right outside? I also like the slightly less expensive price tag.

The theming and larger rooms at Royal Pacific are really appealing. The Polynesian is our favorite Disney Resort. Do these rooms have balconies? I also like the idea of being closer to the parks.

Will we wish we had the Express Passes if we choose Cabana Bay?

Thank you!

October is a busy time at the parks and the hotels.
Columbus day weekend, is also very busy

All the onsite hotels will have early entry for the guests

If you stay at rpr, you will be closer to the hotel and if your little gets tired, shorter time period to return to the hotel.
Cbay does not have water taxi
They do have busses, but you walk thru City Walk to the bus area for them.

no balconies at either of those hotels.

If you decide on Cbay, you can buy the ep per day.
If you stay at Rpr, they are included for all on your reservation

Anyone staying on site can pool hop to the other hotel pools

I stay at rpr and enjoy the place.
4 eateries onsite and room service available.

If it is only slightly more as you say then I would definitely go with RP for the included express pass. We absolutely loved having the express pass, it made a big difference in some of the lines and Harry Potter wasn't even included in express pass when we went, and understand it is now.

I would not consider the rooms at RP large, they are very nicely decorated with very nice beds and bathrooms but about the size of a standard hotel room. They have refrigerators and Keurig coffee makers which are stocked daily with coffee and tea making supplies. The rooms do not have balconies, just very large picture windows. It is super easy to get back and forth to the parks from RP, either on the boats which our family absolutely loved, or it is a ten minute walk which is very pretty. The resort has tropical island décor and the lobby is large and very pretty and grounds are lush.

Last edited:
I would think if Poly is your fav, go try RPR. You won't be disappointed. The pool will be fun for your older while the closeness to the parks is good for your younger to take a break. And the whole family gets EP for that price!

October is a busy time at the parks and the hotels.
Columbus day weekend, is also very busy

All the onsite hotels will have early entry for the guests

If you stay at rpr, you will be closer to the hotel and if your little gets tired, shorter time period to return to the hotel.
Cbay does not have water taxi
They do have busses, but you walk thru City Walk to the bus area for them.

no balconies at either of those hotels.

If you decide on Cbay, you can buy the ep per day.
If you stay at Rpr, they are included for all on your reservation

Anyone staying on site can pool hop to the other hotel pools

I stay at rpr and enjoy the place.
4 eateries onsite and room service available.

Is October really that busy? Orlando Informer shows the weekends as moderate and weekdays as slow.

If it is only slightly more as you say then I would definitely go with RP for the included express pass. We absolutely loved having the express pass, it made a big difference in some of the lines and Harry Potter wasn't even included in express pass when we went, and understand it is now.

I would not consider the rooms at RP large, they are very nicely decorated with very nice beds and bathrooms but about the size of a standard hotel room. They have refrigerators and Keurig coffee makers which are stocked daily with coffee and tea making supplies. The rooms do not have balconies, just very large picture windows. It is super easy to get back and forth to the parks from RP, either on the boats which our family absolutely loved, or it is a ten minute walk which is very pretty. The resort has tropical island décor and the lobby is large and very pretty and grounds are lush.

The price is a few hundred dollars more, but I couldn't buy express passes for our entire stay with the difference.

I would think if Poly is your fav, go try RPR. You won't be disappointed. The pool will be fun for your older while the closeness to the parks is good for your younger to take a break. And the whole family gets EP for that price!

Thank you!

3 day weekends books the onsite hotels up

Besides it being a Columbus Day time period, also fall school break for many areas in the states
Believe October 9 is the Canadian thanksgiving type of holiday

Quite a few of the onsite hotels are sold out for that weekend, mainly Columbus Day period

Rooms that are available are at a higher price if booked now that weekend

There are some days at UO that do not have crowds

Hope your plans come at a time of lower crowds!

3 day weekends books the onsite hotels up

Besides it being a Columbus Day time period, also fall school break for many areas in the states
Believe October 9 is the Canadian thanksgiving type of holiday

Quite a few of the onsite hotels are sold out for that weekend, mainly Columbus Day period

Rooms that are available are at a higher price if booked now that weekend

There are some days at UO that do not have crowds

Hope your plans come at a time of lower crowds!

We would be looking at Sunday-Friday the week before Columbus Day. I'm hoping we will miss the worst of it! Thanks for your help!

You will miss crowds for most of your stay
Thursday/ Friday late afternoon only crowded at the studios
Go to ioa those days in the afternoon

Agreed. The Poly (club level) is our favorite at WDW. I think you should consider RPR Club Level. You'll get in tower 3 and probably 7th floor (if my memory serves me right). It is very convenient. But as stated, no balconies at RPR. You're going to have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter