cable ties?

toddcousins

Earning My Ears
The Calgon Ultimate Packing Site reccommended using Cable ties to secure luggage. I thought I heard on the news that the airline does not want you to lock your luggage so they can randomly check baggage, and they would have to break you locks. Is this true?

I went to the dollar store and purchased there and used them.

The only problem is finding someone to cut them open when you arrive 'cause you're not allowed sharp objects in your carry on! Catch-22!LOL

Scratch
:smooth:

We have used cable ties for years to secure our luggage, just put a nail clippers (without the file) in an outside pocket of your checked luggage and you can use these to clip the cable ties open.
If you put locks on your luggage and they have to get into them they will cut off the locks or cut open your luggage, not a pretty site when your luggage comes down the ramp with tape all over it trying to contain your undies!
Don't forget to pack some extras for your return trip.

There were several suggestions in an earlier thread on this. Either a nail clipper WITHOUT a file in your carry on or in an outside pocket of the suitcase an old pair of scissors - a rounded point pair like young children use was also noted as a possible allowed carry on. I think I'd ere on the side of caution and put them in the front pocket of checked luggage.

toddcousins - the cable ties are used in place of locks so they can be opened. Theoretically the inspectors are supposed to replace the cable ties but as the last time this topic was running they did not have the ties to use.

Deb

Sams Club sells a 1100 count assortment of cable ties for about $11.00. They even throw in a roll of electrical tape and snips.

I bought 5 last year and gave to my male siblings for xmas and they were a big hit.

They come in all sorts of colors and sizes. I have a gallon bag with an assortment in the bottom of my carry on.

They can fix nearly everything, and I don't know what I've done without them.

Note: not effective as a marital aid.

On our return trip from WDW on the 27th I had one of my checked suitcases searched. Not surprisingly it was the one stuffed to the gills with misc "stuff" ranging from binoculars to a can of air freshener. It's no wonder it didn't make it through the industrial strength scanner. Apparently Security now has cable ties at their disposal because even though we hadn't put any on when we left Orlando there was the cutest little wimpy clear plastic imitation cable tie you ever saw attached. They also put a printed notice inside the suitcase.

jgalecpa - "not effective as a marital aid"

Ohhh, that has me in stitches now!

Great!!!!

Rae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter