Calculating WEAR AND TEAR on car for driving to WDW from Toronto

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi! Round trip is approx. 2800 miles. How do I calculate the wear and tear on my car?

I am trying to figure out if driving vs. flying to WDW from Toronto is more or less economical. Thanks! S;)

You might consider using a figure like what the Internal Revenue Sservice in the US allows us to deduct from our taxes as a transportation expense.

It should be around $0.35 to $0.40 in US dollars now, but I confess, I'm no longer able to use that deduction for business travel so I haven't kept up on it.

If it was $0.35, it would be 2800 x 0.35 = $980 U.S. You would add in any tolls for roadways or bridges, etc.

This method works out fine for vehicle wear and tear and depreciation. Unless you have a major problem on this trip, such as needing 4 new tires, then it would be disappointing.

It's been my general experience that it depends on the number of people that would be in the car as to if it was economical or not. In other words, for two people it might be marginal, for 4 or 5 people, it would be more cost effective to drive..

Hope that helps

You could go with the standard tax deduction for using your car for business purposes. In the US, that used to be 25 cents a mile.

I just checked and I'm surprised with this, but the IRS deduction for business use of a personal car was 32.5 cents per mile in 2000 and it was 34.5 cents in 2001.

So if you used 34.5 cents, it would be 2800 miles x $0.345 = $966, plus any tolls you encountered.

hope that helps

WOW, that's more than I thought!

In April 2002, my family of 4 flew to WDW from Toronto:

Airfare: $1050
Transportation to and from Toronto airport: $50
Car rental: $350
TOTAL: $1450 USF ($2350 CDN)

If we took our car, we would save on all the above but we would have the following expenses:

Car wear and tear: $900
Gas $300
Three nights of hotels (one to WDW and two back) $240
Extra time off work $550 (I don't include arrival and departure day because we would have those days flying as well ~ we have LOTS of vacation time, but the driving time is time taken from WDW days)
****I won't include extra food because we would be eating in WDW anyway and have that expense already.

DRIVING TOTAL: $2000 ($3225)

WOW! That more than flying! If I take out the extra days off work it still comes to $1450, the same as flying!

I would like the driving experience, but the cost is now a consideration. Sandra

What about renting a car from your home area and saving the wear and tear of your own car? Many people who don't want to fly for whatever reasons often rent a car to drive. I guess you would have to look into the cost, but there are many special discounts out there for car rentals right now, especially for a week or longer. Just a thought....

RobinLyn :)

Cost of flying vs. driving really does depend on the number of people in your car, and the number of people in a hotel room. For two we've found it is about an even exchange, so we usually fly and rent a car. Three people (in two rooms) is usually cheaper to fly by the time you add in the other room. Don't forget MEALS on the road, they add up, too. Plus, there is not only wear and tear on the car, but on the driver and passengers as well :)

Road trips, they'll make or break a family :D

We drove to Vegas recently and once we actually added everything up, it would have been cheaper to fly and rent a car.

dh thinks renting a car at home is an idea too. I will look into that! THX S

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter