California Dazzling: A Roadtrip Vacation Spectacular - Last Update and Final Thoughts 11/8

Michael finds me a future home and job

August 29: Last Full Day and drive to LA

This most likely is the most boring day of the trip to write about besides the travel days. Not that it was not a nice day. But there really is not that much to talk about.
But that will not stop us from boring you to tears anyway! Except the guy from Delaware as he is easy to impress!
Michael, you should read the Delawarean's trip report. He visited a nuclear launch site, I am sure he no longer is easy to impress.

As we had discussed the evening before, Michael got up in time for a real breakfast and we headed over to the Copper Café for some food.

This is the outside of the Café:

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

And this is the famous cake counter:

DSC00675.jpg

A better shot of the inside:

DSC00678.jpg

Even for breakfast they had the nice goblets out:

IMG_1679.jpg

Yeah, I would love to have some at home. But the idea of transporting glass has never been appealing to me.

I only have one food picture, so I guess we both ordered the same. Looks like eggs, bacon and hash browns with toast:

DSC00680.jpg

The food was really good and the coffee was really excellent, too! I think I had quite a few cups and was feeling very alert after breakfast.
Yes, we had the same thing and it was eggcellent!

We continued some more exploring of the hotel to take some more pictures in daylight:

DSC00681.jpg

DSC00682.jpg

DSC00683.jpg

DSC00684.jpg

Here you can see the “lobby building” at the far end of the bridge. You drive underneath the bridge to enter the hotel area properly:

DSC00685.jpg

DSC00686.jpg

DSC00687.jpg

DSC00691.jpg

Our car and door:

DSC00692.jpg

And then it was time to leave. Check out time was noon and that is when we left. We did not follow Highway 1 anymore, but took the 101 instead for some time and then took the 154 to have a more direct route to Santa Barbara where we would meet the coast again.

I think Michael did not have any coffee with breakfast and therefore wanted to get some somewhere along the way. I located one on my phone in Orcutt. This appeared to be a rather non descript town in the middle of some rather dry country. Not really anything there besides the Starbucks. It turned out to be inside a supermarket, an Albertsons. I had some iced tea at the Starbucks and I think Michael wanted an iced tea, too, because he really likes the ice tea lemonade. We had a nice break there and had a brief look around the supermarket which was quite nice. I even ended up buying a package of those scary candies for Katharina:

DSC00730.jpg

We also picked up a gift card for a friend who set us up with the free tickets to Universal-Hollywood -- and did for me again last month -- while we were there as well.

I think it was here when we were driving back to the motorway that Michael suddenly started to suggest that we should move there. I should get a job at McDonalds and we would then both be living off my salary from that job. I think his plans did not involve any job for him (maybe he would retire??). I was and am still very skeptical about the validity of that plan… But it seems to be a dream of his. I much prefer his other dream that has both of us retiring to St John, US Virgin Islands.

To be fair, I was sorta hoping she would work two jobs. One at the Albertsons and another at the McD's and I'd work about 25 at the Albertsons myself. It just seemed a perfect place to hide. And while I largely don't want to, the last 18-24 months have clouded my opinions on a lot of things. Both M and I live very complex lives and there is something to be said for simplicity, right? Besides, the Albertsons was nice and the people seemed very friendly. The people are not overly friendly where I live in FL or where M lives in Germany.

Well, the planning of our future in somewhere in the California back country kept us occupied for a little while at least. Another distraction came along when we were on the 154 and left the Santa Ynez Valley as there is a viewpoint. We stopped there and found this rock:

DSC00693.jpg

Looks like some people from Berlin thought it necessary to leave their city memorized there. Hermsdorf is a suburb of Berlin.

It was also very hot again with temps easily in triple digits. I mention this because a nasty storm with rain and even snow is on its way to Northern California tomorrow.

But the view into the valley was quite nice:

DSC00697.jpg

DSC00699.jpg

After this brief highlight another highlight was another coffee break (this time real coffee) at a Peet’s at Oxnard. And then we had quite a lot of traffic coming into LA (as it is customary there), got some gas at some point and arrived at out hotel for the night (Michael had three nights there), the Embassy Suites Anaheim North. The hotel is conveniently located just off the 91 Freeway. And this is also everything there is. It is wedged between the freeway and the Santa Ana River. But we got it for a very good price as an express deal on Priceline. And it was convenient for Anaheim. And we got a suite!

We got gas on Aretesia Blvd. at an Arco I had passed so many, many times in my life but never stopped at. This is likely too much detail. The hotel was lovely although Embassy Suites is undergoing a massive change in its properties to fit in with the bland/hip/muted/Millennial look of every other hotel. So they are removing the beautiful lush tree filled atriums and making them very plain. This hotel already had the lobby changed, but the rooms were just starting renovations, likely why we were able to get the place for a little over $80 a night.

Our bedroom:

IMG_1680.jpg

Our living room:

IMG_1686.jpg

They also had free drinks and snacks in the late afternoon and we arrived just in time to take part in this. This was a nice bonus after the long drive.

We had plans for dinner that evening and at some point got ready and into the car. Dinner was at Downtown Disney – again. Remember at the very beginning of this trip report we had a meal at Catal with a rather arrogant hostess that was giving me attitude about not wanting me to get a table outside? Well, Michael’s brother had written to the restaurant after the meal about this and it turned out that they invited us back for a free meal. He was back in Florida by then unfortunately, but Michael and I were able to take up that nice offer!

Yes, my family and I are quite persuasive at times. And there really was no excuse for the snotty 'tude the hostess took with M on our first visit. I am grateful my brother contacted them.

So, when we got there, there was no attitude and we were welcomed warmly. We both started with salads. Michael had his favourite wedge salad:

IMG_1689.jpg

I think mine was the caprese:

IMG_1690.jpg

Michael had some kind of steak it seems:

IMG_1691.jpg

And I had a hangar steak that was a daily special:

IMG_1692.jpg

We both really loved the food. The server was excellent and the manager came out to speak to us. So, in the end the little bit of sour taste about that meal at the beginning of the trip was forgotten and we are fans of Catal again.

We had some ice cream (Michael) and a bread pudding (me) for dessert:

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

The only issue was our fault. As we asked to sit outside on the patio, but the weather wasn't simply warm it was humid (not quite FL levels, but not comfortable). The meal was excellent and free and they have earned back our business.

We did a little bit of shopping after dinner and then headed to Trader Sam’s for a drink with a friend. It was great to catch up and I had the HippopotaMai-Tai that I had in 2014 and this is still a very delicious drink!

At some point we walked through the Disneyland Hotel and looked at the model of the DCL ship there knowing that our next big adventure would be a cruise on this ship (in real size) but that it would be quite a while until then:

IMG_1698.jpg

We've had quite a few adventures in between ... there was Europa Park and DLP ... and ... everything we did this summer ...

And upon further inspection I saw this:

IMG_1699.jpg

Not only the Fantasy was built in Germany, even her model was built in Germany, too!

It was late when we got home, but we ended the vacation with a really lovely evening!

Up Next: Flying Home

This is the outside of the Café:

IMG_1677.jpg

This building is so beautiful.

I much prefer his other dream that has both of us retiring to St John, US Virgin Islands.

That is a nice dream to have.

They also had free drinks and snacks in the late afternoon and we arrived just in time to take part in this. This was a nice bonus after the long drive.

That is definitely a nice bonus.

Well, Michael’s brother had written to the restaurant after the meal about this and it turned out that they invited us back for a free meal.

That was definitely a nice gesture. I am glad that this meal was a better experience.

Corinna

I"m so glad that you had a better experience at Catal! It's great when a business can make steps to redeem themselves.

That other place, the Copper Cafe looked so FUN! Wow! I'm glad the food was good too, or cute just doesn't do much. But yeah, I love those goblets.

Isn't Santa Barbara fun? One of my favorite places on the coast.

Just stunning!

Now that's how a BLT should look!

I"ve never done either Hearst's or Madonna, but have always wanted to. I should do a little road trip next year! And end up at DLR, of course!

Great update! That hotel you had your breakfast is just lovely! What an unusual but charming hotel. Great place to stop.

Love your photos for today. Nice sunny day indeed. That sounds interesting re your new plans of a job and moving...

Your hotel looks a good deal for $80 wow. You know the broomcupboard and shared bathroom you would get in Europe for that!

How lovely that your dinner was free and better second time around I am pleased.

That is a nice model ship. I heard they build them in Germany. You are good for cars and engineering!

Wow, that Madonna Inn looks really interesting. Too bad the Hearst Castle wasn't more visitor-friendly, with the lack of a/c and porta-potties and all. All I could think of though, was "Rosebud".

I remember seeing the Madonna Inn on the Travel Channel. Looks like a very interesting place.

So glad your last day ended well.

This is where we made a big mistake that I wasn't really sure of. We never actually went into Monterrey or took the scenic drive. I didn't realize that these were so important, but my family (who had all done it) were disappointed that we didn't do the drive. We would have also had to get up very early, but I didn't realize any of that at the time.

Well, since I had been there and
done that before, I was of the opinion that neither Monterey nor the scenic drive were really that important...

It's important if you like golf. :rolleyes1

Gorgeous coastline!

Michael had ordered a BLT and they freshly fried the bacon for his sandwich.

Mmm...fresh bacon makes everything better.

A great sandwich and the last time I had dined in my car until last Friday (now a few Fridays ago? took me some time to post the update...) when driving back from WDW in the remnants of Hurricane Matthew when my brother and I stopped at the Wawa -- I bet the crazy Delawarian knows them well -- in Kissimmee and had sandwiches in the car because ... well, they were open and they make tasty sandwiches!

Having sung the praises of Wawa in my own Trip Reports several times, I'm just going to take this as confirmation of my excellent taste.:rotfl2:

Michael gave them some messages for his beloved Cassandra. I hope the seal mail works well…

Has to be better than snail mail.

To make Guests use those horrible holes at a site where one of the richest, most powerful men in the world wined and dined just isn't a very good message to send. I believe they are using conservation as an excuse to save money. ... Just like Disney would do!

I haven't seen Disney resort to porta-potties. Yet.

That's quite an impressive building!

And all in all it is a very impressive building and setting!

That's what I just said.:rotfl:

Actually, this pool featured in a at that time very famous TV-spot by a German bank.

I was wondering if it was the mansion/pool used in the Steve Martin movie, The Jerk. A true film classic.

And both of us were very grumpy!

:scared1:

Agreed. The problem with the tours would be the price and the fact you only see a tiny portion of the Castle on each. You really need to take 2-3 different tours in one day to get a full(er) picture and if are going to spend that much, well, you are spending too much!

Sounds like it's a pain to tour!

We totally fell in love with the room. Yes, it was totally over the top, but it also was so comfy and inviting.

The room is certainly...interesting.

We both absolutely loved the atmosphere of the place and I was surprised when Michael decided that we should go there for breakfast the next day before leaving! I guess you can all understand how much Michael liked this place if he actually suggests that he gets up to eat breakfast! But I liked the idea and we made it a plan!

That's definitely the highest recommendation ever!

This most likely is the most boring day of the trip to write about besides the travel days. Not that it was not a nice day. But there really is not that much to talk about. But that will not stop us from boring you to tears anyway! Except the guy from Delaware as he is easy to impress!

I would take offense here, but I just wrote an entire chapter on a drive across North Dakota. So I really have no defense.

Michael, you should read the Delawarean's trip report. He visited a nuclear launch site, I am sure he no longer is easy to impress.

We still haven't tackled the drive across Nebraska, either.

Yes, we had the same thing and it was eggcellent!

That's it, I quit.

I think it was here when we were driving back to the motorway that Michael suddenly started to suggest that we should move there. I should get a job at McDonalds and we would then both be living off my salary from that job.

What could possibly go wrong?

I much prefer his other dream that has both of us retiring to St John, US Virgin Islands.

But there aren't any McDonalds there.

And while I largely don't want to, the last 18-24 months have clouded my opinions on a lot of things. Both M and I live very complex lives and there is something to be said for simplicity, right? Besides, the Albertsons was nice and the people seemed very friendly. The people are not overly friendly where I live in FL or where M lives in Germany.

There is definitely something to be said for simplicity.

Dinner was at Downtown Disney – again. Remember at the very beginning of this trip report we had a meal at Catal with a rather arrogant hostess that was giving me attitude about not wanting me to get a table outside? Well, Michael’s brother had written to the restaurant after the meal about this and it turned out that they invited us back for a free meal.

Very nice! Glad that worked out. Even better that you enjoyed the meal this time.

The only issue was our fault. As we asked to sit outside on the patio, but the weather wasn't simply warm it was humid (not quite FL levels, but not comfortable).

Did you try complaining? It might work!

Not only the Fantasy was built in Germany, even her model was built in Germany, too!

Impressive. There's just one place to go when you need to build something with precision.

Dh and I visited Hearst Castle once (on the same trip where we visited Yosemite), and were actually quite impressed. I think we did the same tour as you did - I do remember there being a few different ones to choose from. I do remember loving the swimming pool the most!

OK, one update at a time....I am so woefully behind everywhere!

I'm not surprised that you skipped the 17 Mile drive, I know we did it when I was a kid and it took half the day. Not something you do when you're trying to get somewhere!

Michael's sandwich looked really good. Too bad the park was so packed and so expensive a place to park for lunch.

The seals were awesome! There were lots of them beached in the sun. For a moment I wasn't sure it they were alive or not. Then I had to realize you posted pictures not video. :lmao:

The Madonna is sure a funky place to stay. I've actually stayed in several of their themed rooms and they can be a lot of fun! That cafe is very good. We have eaten there on a number of occasions. Normally we would take I-5 to the Bay Area as it is faster and more direct, but we have taken our time on 101 and stopped for an overnight stay. While we haven't always stayed in SLO, the cafe has been a nice lunch stop for us on the route. Those goblets for the water sure add character!

I'll have to read the next update later. We are on a long weekend trip which has been quite exhausting. Lots of fun, but not nearly as relaxed as we like to take our trips!

Happy Birthday Magdalene! Pat and I can't wait to see you and Michael. Only 32 more days!!!

:cake: party: :bday: :tink:

Happy birthday, Magdalene. I hope you are having a magical day.

Corinna

Thank you! I had a great day on Sunday with my sister in Berlin. We went to a nice hotel to have proper high tea with scones, all kind of pastries and finger sandwiches. And even tea that was grown in England! I had no idea that they started to grow tea in Cornwall. It was very nice.

This building is so beautiful.

The hotel was really quite pretty. Most of it was difficult to take pictures of, but you could tell how much love went into this project.

That is a nice dream to have.

St John is such a pretty place!

That was definitely a nice gesture. I am glad that this meal was a better experience.

Catal is definitely back on the list of our favorite restaurants at Disneyland.

I"m so glad that you had a better experience at Catal! It's great when a business can make steps to redeem themselves.

Yes, it really changed our view of the restaurant again back to being a favorite at Disneyland.

That other place, the Copper Cafe looked so FUN! Wow! I'm glad the food was good too, or cute just doesn't do much. But yeah, I love those goblets.

It was really cute and a lot of fun. Service was really great there as well. You could tell that everyone working there took pride in their workplace.

Isn't Santa Barbara fun? One of my favorite places on the coast.

We actually did not stop there this time, but we both had been there before. It is really nice and I had been planning on staying there for one night, but that was one of the things we just did not have time for.

Now that's how a BLT should look![/QUOTE

Yes, I have to admit that I was a bit envious...

I"ve never done either Hearst's or Madonna, but have always wanted to. I should do a little road trip next year! And end up at DLR, of course!

Sounds like a great plan!

Great update! That hotel you had your breakfast is just lovely! What an unusual but charming hotel. Great place to stop.

It really deserves the mention in all the guidebooks. Such a lovely place.

Love your photos for today. Nice sunny day indeed. That sounds interesting re your new plans of a job and moving...

:rotfl2: I do have a pretty nice job here in Germany, so I think I will rather keep that...

Your hotel looks a good deal for $80 wow. You know the broomcupboard and shared bathroom you would get in Europe for that!

Yes! However, I find that over the last 10 years or so, European hotels have improved quite a bit. Size is still an issue. But at least the shared bathrooms are something you no longer need to look out for that much.

How lovely that your dinner was free and better second time around I am pleased.

It was really nice!

That is a nice model ship. I heard they build them in Germany. You are good for cars and engineering!

Yes, we seem to be good at engineering, or nowadays to at least write software that makes us appear to be good at engineering... See VW...

Wow, that Madonna Inn looks really interesting. Too bad the Hearst Castle wasn't more visitor-friendly, with the lack of a/c and porta-potties and all. All I could think of though, was "Rosebud".

I think part of the Hearst Castle's issues is that it is so far from everything, so they lack the infrastructure for the many visitors they get.

They certainly loved their pink at the Madonna Inn!

I remember seeing the Madonna Inn on the Travel Channel. Looks like a very interesting place.

So glad your last day ended well.

I could see the Madonna Inn being on a TV program. The I first read about it, I thought it was owned by the singer... :rotfl2:

It really was a nice end to the trip!

It's important if you like golf. :rolleyes1

I don't like golf, so I think we were right!

Gorgeous coastline!

Yes, it is very pretty!

Mmm...fresh bacon makes everything better.

I agree and I should have gotten one of those BLTs as well.

Having sung the praises of Wawa in my own Trip Reports several times, I'm just going to take this as confirmation of my excellent taste.:rotfl2:

Michael promised me that we are going to go to the Wawa in Orlando when we are going to be there. I need to find out what it is about. He loves it, too! So, you should take it as confirmation of your excellent taste!

Has to be better than snail mail.

Hopefully. I don't think Michael ever got a receipt that his seal mail got delivered.

I haven't seen Disney resort to porta-potties. Yet.

They do for Run Disney events. But then all running events resort to them.

That's quite an impressive building!

It is!

That's what I just said.:rotfl:

Well, I guess you were right then!

I was wondering if it was the mansion/pool used in the Steve Martin movie, The Jerk. A true film classic.

I have not seen that film. Should I try to find it? I checked on IMDB and Hearst Castle is not listed as a location for the film.

The room is certainly...interesting.

We loved it!

I would take offense here, but I just wrote an entire chapter on a drive across North Dakota. So I really have no defense.

If your country were more compact it would eliminate those long drives...

We still haven't tackled the drive across Nebraska, either.

That sounds exciting!!

But there aren't any McDonalds there.

The idea about St John is that we retire there because we are independently wealthy. One of the reasons why I preferred that dream!

There is definitely something to be said for simplicity.

There is. But I also know that Michael would be the first to get bored if his life were just simple... Simpler than now would be nice. But middle of nowhere in California simple could be too much.

Very nice! Glad that worked out. Even better that you enjoyed the meal this time.

Yes, it was really great and I was happy to keep my memories of the restaurant as a favorite of ours at Disneyland.

Did you try complaining? It might work!

:rotfl2:

You have never met Michael, otherwise you knew that complaining about the weather is something he does all the time! Especially about weather in Florida. I actually really enjoyed sitting outside!

Impressive. There's just one place to go when you need to build something with precision.

Or when you cannot build it at least get it covered up so that it looks like being built with precision. The VW scandal really shocked every one here a lot.

Dh and I visited Hearst Castle once (on the same trip where we visited Yosemite), and were actually quite impressed. I think we did the same tour as you did - I do remember there being a few different ones to choose from. I do remember loving the swimming pool the most!

I think missing out with the pool really diminished the visit a bit. It is an impressive place, but visiting outside of the summer months would have been better.

OK, one update at a time....I am so woefully behind everywhere!

Don't ask me about how behind on everything I am! I am afraid I have given up on getting up date properly...

I'm not surprised that you skipped the 17 Mile drive, I know we did it when I was a kid and it took half the day. Not something you do when you're trying to get somewhere!

Oh, that is good to know!

Michael's sandwich looked really good. Too bad the park was so packed and so expensive a place to park for lunch.

Yes, when I posted the pictures I was really sad that I did not order that sandwich. It looks so nice!

The seals were awesome! There were lots of them beached in the sun. For a moment I wasn't sure it they were alive or not. Then I had to realize you posted pictures not video. :lmao:

:rotfl2: However, there was not a lot of movement to be seen, so video would have been similar.

The Madonna is sure a funky place to stay. I've actually stayed in several of their themed rooms and they can be a lot of fun! That cafe is very good. We have eaten there on a number of occasions. Normally we would take I-5 to the Bay Area as it is faster and more direct, but we have taken our time on 101 and stopped for an overnight stay. While we haven't always stayed in SLO, the cafe has been a nice lunch stop for us on the route. Those goblets for the water sure add character!

That is a great idea to just stop there for lunch. It definitely is a place that is proud of who they are and wants to deliver despite being so famous.

I'll have to read the next update later. We are on a long weekend trip which has been quite exhausting. Lots of fun, but not nearly as relaxed as we like to take our trips!

Hope you had a great weekend away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter