California fires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to freak you out but a wind driven Santa Anna urban interface fire can and does explode within minutes. The winds fortunately should subside by the end of Wednesday. The current fire in the Simi valley went from a 100 acres to 1000 in under an hour.

No. The fire is by the Getty on the Sepulveda pass. LAX, LGB and Anaheim are all well south of that. Traffic is normal.

FWIW - LAX opened an "UBER/LYFT/Taxi" lot today. That should improve traffic around the loop there, but if you are taking one of those, you have to take a bus to the ULT lot - they will not pick you up from the gate.
Can't believe the mess the ULT lot ended up being. No, actually, I can - that's LAX for you. 2 hour waits, absolute anarchy in the lot. I love the idea of getting the cars out of the loop but what a mess. Note to anyone going to LAX - rent a car or take the bus or Super Shuttle down to DL. Don't even attempt Uber or Lyft from LAX right now.

Can't believe the mess the ULT lot ended up being. No, actually, I can - that's LAX for you. 2 hour waits, absolute anarchy in the lot. I love the idea of getting the cars out of the loop but what a mess. Note to anyone going to LAX - rent a car or take the bus or Super Shuttle down to DL. Don't even attempt Uber or Lyft from LAX right now.
I was gonna Uber or Lyft coming Saturday morning. I can super shuttle business express for about $20 more seems like that might be a better option.

Figures, the one time we decide not to rent a car.

Is it perhaps easier to take a cab from LAX to somewhere close, and catch an uber from there? Or catch a hotel shuttle or rental car depot? I never find it that busy around the national rental exit.

We're trying to head down to long beach for a few days, and then over to DL.

Is it perhaps easier to take a cab from LAX to somewhere close, and catch an uber from there? Or catch a hotel shuttle or rental car depot? I never find it that busy around the national rental exit.

Cabs have to use the new lot too. Fly direct into LGB if you can.

I am at the GCH and I have noticed no effect from the fires. It was very windy today and WOC was cancelled tonight but apart from the smoke in the atmosphere when we flew in a couple of days ago, I have noticed nothing.

Yes, grab the first hotel shuttle that shows up and call the uber from the hotel. It will be much faster. The first day of operation of the rideshare lot was a cluster, to put it nicely.

Not to freak you out but a wind driven Santa Anna urban interface fire can and does explode within minutes. The winds fortunately should subside by the end of Wednesday. The current fire in the Simi valley went from a 100 acres to 1000 in under an hour.

Sure, that happens when there is hillside and kindling to ignite. Fires never go far beyond the hillsides though, and Disneyland is not anywhere near any hillsides. Once you are about 1-2 miles away from a hillside, you're good.

We live in a newer development in Orange County and there are some hillsides about 2 miles to our east. There is literally zero chance of our home being ignited by fire from these winds, simply due to the dense housing between us and the hills, and the fact that all of these homes have fire resistant roofs, and there is very little vegetation due to the tightly packed homes. A few homes very close to the hillside could theoretically ignite, but that "zone" is pretty small.
There was a rather large fire on those hills back in 2007 and no homes were damaged at all. The smoke was awful, and this was when we lived in a different place much further from the hills, but the smoke was blowing directly at us. It looked like someone turned on a fog machine. It was bad.

Disneyland's worst impact from wildfires is also smoke, and it has been a big issue a couple times in the last 10 years or so. It's not an issue now, even though several new fires erupted yesterday.

Woke up to smoke in Long Beach this morning but DL is still clear. Wind is shifting today - should be through the worst of it for this year (fingers crossed).

LAX ULT (LAXit is the official name but I'm not calling it that) lot is still a cluster-f even after a few tweaks. Cabs are slightly better because they are not looking for a specific passenger and cabbies tend to know what they are doing, but you still have to use the shuttle to the lot AND they have switched to congestion pricing so it will be pricey.
LAXit article
Daily Mail article - good pics
Seems like they could use some magic bands or something - ANYTHING really.
The LA Times had the best quote where LAX said they were "REALLY, REALLY sorry" - paywall so no link. See, because the second REALLY makes it all OK. Rest assured, that's really the best they can (and will) do.

Yes, grab the first hotel shuttle that shows up and call the uber from the hotel. It will be much faster. The first day of operation of the rideshare lot was a cluster, to put it nicely.

There's speculation that hotel and rental car company shuttles will catch onto this and start asking for your reservation when you get on. You could probably just say you're going to book on arrival, but something to be aware of.

Woke up to smoke in Long Beach this morning but DL is still clear. Wind is shifting today - should be through the worst of it for this year (fingers crossed).

LAX ULT (LAXit is the official name but I'm not calling it that) lot is still a cluster-f even after a few tweaks. Cabs are slightly better because they are not looking for a specific passenger and cabbies tend to know what they are doing, but you still have to use the shuttle to the lot AND they have switched to congestion pricing so it will be pricey.
LAXit article
Daily Mail article - good pics
Seems like they could use some magic bands or something - ANYTHING really.
The LA Times had the best quote where LAX said they were "REALLY, REALLY sorry" - paywall so no link. See, because the second REALLY makes it all OK. Rest assured, that's really the best they can (and will) do.

The most frustrating thing is that THEY WERE WARNED. Uber told them ahead of time the lot wasn't big enough!!

Sure, that happens when there is hillside and kindling to ignite. Fires never go far beyond the hillsides though, and Disneyland is not anywhere near any hillsides. Once you are about 1-2 miles away from a hillside, you're good.

We live in a newer development in Orange County and there are some hillsides about 2 miles to our east. There is literally zero chance of our home being ignited by fire from these winds, simply due to the dense housing between us and the hills, and the fact that all of these homes have fire resistant roofs, and there is very little vegetation due to the tightly packed homes. A few homes very close to the hillside could theoretically ignite, but that "zone" is pretty small.

There was a rather large fire on those hills back in 2007 and no homes were damaged at all. The smoke was awful, and this was when we lived in a different place much further from the hills, but the smoke was blowing directly at us. It looked like someone turned on a fog machine. It was bad.

This is just not true. Just because there have been no homes lost yet, does not mean there is no risk of fire to your home and neighborhood (or pretty much any neighborhood in California affected by dry Santa Ana conditions). My husband (former firefighter with a Fire Science degree) tells everyone that tightly packed homes with little vegetation are absolutely at risk during wildfires and that everyone should be prepared to leave quickly in the event of a nearby fire. Fire resistant roofs might not ignite if a burning ember or ash falls on it, but the majority of homes are framed mainly from combustible material (wood). Newer homes in your area were built with fire resistant roofs for a reason - there is an elevated fire risk. Look at what happened in suburban neighborhoods with closely packed houses during the Tubbs fire. Entire neighborhoods with hundreds of homes were leveled in just a couple of hours. The fire spread so quickly many people weren’t able to escape their homes in time. These wildfires are capable of generating their own weather, including tornados and hurricane level winds. The heat that radiates from these fires is so hot that it can cause some materials to ignite even before the fire reaches them, which is another reason why these fires spread so quickly.

We live in a very urban residential neighborhood in San Diego (where the humidity level is much higher than most parts of Orange County), and we have an evacuation plan for ourselves and our pets and keep a “go” bag with a change of clothes, a few days worth of meds, and some family keepsakes. People tend to think something could “never” happen to them, until it happens to them...

Disneyland is not at risk or affected by the current wildfires. And I would never advocate for anyone to change their plans to go to DLR, unless DLR is under evacuation orders. The weather and winds are known to change quickly this time of year. For anyone visiting from outside of the area, the chances of there being a fire nearby while you are here are slim.

Last edited:
Hello all. Can anyone provide any info regarding the fires in California and how Disneyland is or could be affected? Praying for all those affected and don’t want to seem insensitive, but also trying to figure out if we should cancel our trip this week. Any info is appreciated!

The only way Anaheim might be impacted is by decreased air quality if the wind blows that way. So, if you have asthma, bring a particle mask (95 or higher rating). Otherwise, you'll be fine. I live right in the middle of an area that burns every year and we aren't even getting smoke at the moment from the fires.

As an aside, a few weeks ago in Los Feliz (a little north and east of Hollywood) I saw ash fall from the sky every 20 seconds or so. A few years ago I had a dr’s appoint not too far from the fires that blazed then. When I got out of my car, smoke was relatively thick and large pieces of ash or partially-burned vegetation would fall from the sky regularly. It was almost like it was snowing.

As a new Californian I will tell you that many people living outside of California think the fires affect areas not even close to the fires. Before we moved here, I thought a fire in East San Diego County affected all of San Diego. It’s only after living here and experiencing our first Santa Ana season have I started to understand how localized they “usually” are. It’s not always like hurricanes, which are common where we are from, where entire regions are affected. I’m still learning about our new home!

This is just not true. Just because there have been no homes lost yet, does not mean there is no risk of fire to your home and neighborhood (or pretty much any neighborhood in California affected by dry Santa Ana conditions). My husband (former firefighter with a Fire Science degree) tells everyone that tightly packed homes with little vegetation are absolutely at risk during wildfires and that everyone should be prepared to leave quickly in the event of a nearby fire. Fire resistant roofs might not ignite if a burning ember or ash falls on it, but the majority of homes are framed mainly from combustible material (wood). Newer homes in your area were built with fire resistant roofs for a reason - there is an elevated fire risk. Look at what happened in suburban neighborhoods with closely packed houses during the Tubbs fire. Entire neighborhoods with hundreds of homes were leveled in just a couple of hours. The fire spread so quickly many people weren’t able to escape their homes in time. These wildfires are capable of generating their own weather, including tornados and hurricane level winds. The heat that radiates from these fires is so hot that it can cause some materials to ignite even before the fire reaches them, which is another reason why these fires spread so quickly.

We live in a very urban residential neighborhood in San Diego (where the humidity level is much higher than most parts of Orange County), and we have an evacuation plan for ourselves and our pets and keep a “go” bag with a change of clothes, a few days worth of meds, and some family keepsakes. People tend to think something could “never” happen to them, until it happens to them...

Disneyland is not at risk or affected by the current wildfires. And I would never advocate for anyone to change their plans to go to DLR, unless DLR is under evacuation orders. The weather and winds are known to change quickly this time of year. For anyone visiting from outside of the area, the chances of there being a fire nearby while you are here are slim.

Most well respected "fire sceintists" agree that a lit ember can travel no more than one mile. Thus, being 2+ miles away from a hillside that may ignite means my home has a zero percent chance of igniting from an ember originating from that fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter