California Grill lounge

JayLew5695

Earning My Ears
New DVC member (Poly), and was hoping to get my family and I up to the California Lounge at Bay Lake on our trip this May for fireworks and dessert. We're staying at Wilderness by the way. What time do you recommend we arrive? Do we need reservations? Any tips/suggestions for a great experience up there? Thanks All!

New DVC member (Poly), and was hoping to get my family and I up to the California Lounge at Bay Lake on our trip this May for fireworks and dessert. We're staying at Wilderness by the way. What time do you recommend we arrive? Do we need reservations? Any tips/suggestions for a great experience up there? Thanks All!
Do you mean California Grill at the top of the Contemporary, or the Top of the World Lounge at the top of Bay Lake Towers? They are two different things.
Denise

I'm not sure now! Is there one specifically for DVC members? That would be the one we'd want to be at. Or is it?

I'm not sure now! Is there one specifically for DVC members? That would be the one we'd want to be at. Or is it?

Probably, unless you were really hungry.

To access TOTW, you will need your member card (electronic will do), and a photo ID. Order the cake.

Thanks! What time should we get there to get a good table/seat?
There are not necessarily a lot of seats, and you'll want to go out on the deck for the fireworks regardless. Most of the time, an hour or 45 minutes ahead you will be fine.

TOWL is a great spot. We own at BLT, so we have been there a few times.

The best is when we stayed on the top floor at BLT, so we were only about 50feet from the entrance, very fun.

The music is piped in with Wishes.

But speaking of California Grill, we just happened to be finishing dinner there in 2016, so we got to experience Fireworks from that location too.

Have a great trip and enjoy the show.

We love the Top of the World Lounge at Bay Lake Tower. It is a great place to see fireworks and have a drink. They have a few appetizers and the most wonderful chocolate cake! It is enough for two or even three people to share! Take your membership card and your ID. They may or many not ask for it. There are block out dates around July 4 and New years eve that mean you have to be staying at BLT to go up.

Over at the California Grill restaurant they have a a fireworks observation deck. If you have a dining reservation you can go out and see the fireworks.

We love the Top of the World Lounge at Bay Lake Tower. It is a great place to see fireworks and have a drink. They have a few appetizers and the most wonderful chocolate cake! It is enough for two or even three people to share! Take your membership card and your ID. They may or many not ask for it. There are block out dates around July 4 and New years eve that mean you have to be staying at BLT to go up.

Over at the California Grill restaurant they have a a fireworks observation deck. If you have a dining reservation you can go out and see the fireworks.

Which view do you recommend? We are staying at BLT in April and were originally going to go up to TOTWL, but we got a reservation for California Grill brunch, so we could go up there to see the fireworks as well as they allow re-admittance for brunch guests.

California Grill does have a lounge, but they may not let you up there very close to fireworks time if it is full. The best work around is to go to the lounge early (they serve the full menu) and then come back with your receipt to see the fireworks from the outside deck.

Which view do you recommend? We are staying at BLT in April and were originally going to go up to TOTWL, but we got a reservation for California Grill brunch, so we could go up there to see the fireworks as well as they allow re-admittance for brunch guests.

We've watched from both locations and enjoyed both. The views are slightly different, but IMO, equally good! :)

My advice is to go back up to the CG observation deck on the day you have the brunch reservation. (As you probably already know, they will let you back up to the observation deck for the evening fireworks if you show them your receipt). Since you are staying at BLT, you can go up to the TOTWL (or just the observation deck) another evening to see the HEA fireworks from there.

We've watched from both locations and enjoyed both. The views are slightly different, but IMO, equally good! :)

My advice is to go back up to the CG observation deck on the day you have the brunch reservation. (As you probably already know, they will let you back up to the observation deck for the evening fireworks if you show them your receipt). Since you are staying at BLT, you can go up to the TOTWL (or just the observation deck) another evening to see the HEA fireworks from there.

Thanks!!! We have so many evening plans that it may be difficult to fit in both, but that is certainly my goal as well. We have seen Wishes from both locations, but it has been so long that I can't really remember either of the views at all. We are going to The Edison that evening for dinner, so the observation deck at CA Grill likely makes the most sense, as we won't be in the mood for more food or drinks anyway.

Thanks!!! We have so many evening plans that it may be difficult to fit in both, but that is certainly my goal as well. We have seen Wishes from both locations, but it has been so long that I can't really remember either of the views at all. We are going to The Edison that evening for dinner, so the observation deck at CA Grill likely makes the most sense, as we won't be in the mood for more food or drinks anyway.
Well not to make your decision harder, LOL, but we seldom go into the actual lounge at the TOTWL. You can just go directly to the deck without even entering the lounge. Lot of people do that, especially since the bar/lounge is often crowded (no seats left) and you really need to come out on the deck to see the fireworks, anyway.

Sounds like you have a fun trip planned!

Well not to make your decision harder, LOL, but we seldom go into the actual lounge at the TOTWL. You can just go directly to the deck without even entering the lounge. Lot of people do that, especially since the bar/lounge is often crowded (no seats left) and you really need to come out on the deck to see the fireworks, anyway.

Sounds like you have a fun trip planned!

That's actually what we did last time, so I don't believe I have ever actually seen inside the lounge itself. We are so excited for our trip, especially since we had to cancel our February trip because my husband hurt his back. We are staying at two new to us resorts (Copper Creek and BLT) and are all registered for the AK MM event, now I just need it to be April. Either way I am sure we will have a fantastic time!

It looks like CG has maybe a 5% better viewing angle than TOTWL. I enjoyed seeing the fireworks from TOTWL, but it is a 'side view' compared to what is intended. CG's view may be slightly closer to what was intended when the show was designed.

If you have never been to the Top of the World Lounge, i would go there just b/c it is exclusive to DVC members and we like to use all of your "exclusive" perks ...lol :)

The views are really very similar from both spots. The California Grill view costs the price of an expensive dinner. The TOWL lounge view is a drink or two and hopefully a piece of delicious chocolate cake! Or..c.an even be free...you can go to the observation deck for free...but i would atleast go into the lounge and have a drink if its just a Coke :D

We have done the TOTWL to see the fireworks. For us it is one and done. The fireworks are very disjointed and you actually see where they are being shot from (and areas look very random). You don't see any of the castle projections. We didn't partake of any of the food or beverages in the lounge. The best view of the HEA show is actually at the MK.

We don't expect the fireworks from either TOTWL or CA Grill to be anywhere near the view in MK, but we want to take advantage of TOTWL while we are there, and we are definitely not skipping brunch at CA Grill, so we will have access to CA Grill for fireworks too, I am sure we will figure it out when we get there and be happy with whatever we choose. Thanks for the input!

Just to add that the actual "lounge" in the California Grill restaurant is nothing more than 8 low tables smack dab in the middle of the restaurant. And--if you have no reservation for the restaurant and if it is crowded, they will NOT let you up just so you can see the fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter