California Grille... dinner or drinks?

jerseydizdreamer

Mouseketeer
During my upcoming trip, I was originally planning to try and do dinner at the California Grille over at the Contemporary, as I've never eaten there before. Of course, I wanted to try and schedule it so I could watch the fireworks. But now I'm waffling, and wondering if maybe they have a bar or lounge where I could just go and have a drink and watch the show. Mainly because I don't do a whole lot of sit-down, expensive restaurants during my jaunts, especially when I'm traveling solo, as I will most likely be this time. Anyone eaten solo at CG? How'd they find it as an overall experience? And is there a bar/loungey kinda place to just have a drink or three?

Richard

In the evenings you could check out the bar at the GF (can't recall the name -- begins with an M) or even sit in the lobby at the GF and have a beverage. The GF Orchestra plays there at night and it's wonderful to take in the music and the atmosphere.

There is a smallish lounge area adjacent to, not really separate from, the dining room. It usually fills up early with people waiting for tables and those just there for drinks and fireworks. It is certainly possible to see the fireworks from the lounge area, in fact, it is really the best view. There is an observation deck outside of the lounge area for viewing, as well.

I've had dinner there several times, and watched the fireworks (once we actually could see part of Fantasmic! from our table and the MK fireworks); I've watched from the lounge area and the observation deck, too. If you don't want to have dinner there, my recommendation would be to get a seat at the bar--not easy, as it will be crowded, but if you're determined and hover well, you can do it. Then order drinks and appetizers while you wait for the fireworks. We did this on our last trip, over NYE, so you know it was way crowded, and we really enjoyed it.

Good luck and post when you return!

ship

I highly recommend dining there. Dinner was one of the best we have had anywhere! (The flatbread appetizers are great). Even if you don't go for the fireworks, you will have a wonderful evening. When we made reservations we were disappointed that there was not any that evening - but we got over that real quick :D After dinner take a walk on the observation deck, maybe you will catch the electric lagoon parade - that's fun too.

Eiter way the CG grill is not to be missed

Also I agree with the others the bar area gets very jammed, and we were there on a non fireworks night - you can always sit at a table and have drinks and appetizers!

its a great location and yes you can eat at the bar, many people do and it clears out very nice after fireworks ... so drink before and enjoy more elbow room after the fireworks fo a bit at the bar ! say hello to Dennis

We enjoy doing both, their dinner entrees are excellent but we also really enjoy just going for drinks and appetizers and making that our dinner when we are in the mood for a light dinner.
The lounge does not have a lot of tables and they do fill up fast, go at least 90 minutes before the fireworks and get a table and just order drinks and appetizers and stay for the show. We love the flatbreads and the sushi. They also have a very nice wine selection.

Been there, done both...you can see the fireworks without doing dinner, but the dinner we had there was awesome. I woudl recommend going for dinner!

Good luck from fellow NJ-ian. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter