Campgrounds south of Orlando ?

ilovedisneymm

DIS Veteran
We have talked about extending our Disney vacation and traveling further south last year, but decided against it for reasons I don’t remember. Well it’s back on the table and we are going to modify our January trip. Likely cutting a few days off the tail end of Disney and adding a week further south. New Orleans has been discussed, but I think kids are still too little for that. So hubby and I are talking about just keep on trucking down the road. That husband of mine, loves a nice long haul. You can take the man out of the trucking industry, but you can’t take the long hauls out of the trucker! He’s ready to pull that camper as far as he can possibly go. When January is your main time to travel, it’s hard finding good weather, ya know.

I’m starting my research today for campgrounds south of Disney. I know hubby has been wanting to do that drive from Key Largo to Key West. We are open for staying in one area for up to a week or two or three destinations for a few days each stop. I would like clear blue water and a beautiful beach.

Suggestions anyone? I really enjoy having some privacy between sites.

I want to add we are open to travel along the gulf coast down and stay somewhere or travel down the east side of FL and stay along there too. Key West is not a final destination, (although a day drive at least) just tossing around where to stay.

Last edited:
Well the harder part maybe to find a campground that has space. When we stayed outside Kennedy Space Center the one year in Feb was tough to get a spot, Snowbirds !!

Not familiar enough with South Florida to help with your original question, but best of luck and happy camping.

I have some ideas/opinions about your plan, ilovedisneymm ("opinions are like noses - everybody has one").

I think now that your family are WDW/FW veterans, you should take the opportunity to explore other parts of Florida. It's a beautiful state with diverse natural resources.

Like PaHunter said, in the Orlando region and south of that during the time of year you are planning for, you are fighting the snowbirds who plan well in advance, have a secret communications network that rivals the Underground Railroad, and travel in numbers. The one thing I will say, though, is that they are "price" shoppers. When they come to Florida for 90-100 days, they (most of them) are reluctant to pay for expensive camping spots (except for the fortunates at the Fort, of course).

All that being said....

Do It Now.

As I'm getting older I wonder "if I don't do this now, when will I pass this way again and maybe do it?" Who knows. :confused3 So I've chosen to Do It Now when given the option. Doing this in January will create wonderful memories and pictures for your family. I know you're a camera guru so I threw that in for you. Be ready with your camera always on this Fort getaway.

IMO (which you didn't ask for) the most beautiful Florida beaches are down in the southwest corner of the state in the Naples-Fort Myers area. I lived on the Atlantic Coast in the West Palm Beach area and so I speak knowingly that the Gulf side beaches and water are generally MUCH nicer than the Atlantic side beaches and water. And I vacation in the region of the Florida Panhandle. That being said, the best beaches are down in the SW on the Gulf side IMO. Although I will say, any beach beats an urban view.

The snowbirds have snapped up most affordable camping spots but you might find space at a KOA (one in Fort Myers - never been) or other RV park and you can day trip over to Sanibel and Captiva Islands known for lots of shells (unique location in the ocean current, etc.). From there it's a couple hours over to the Keys area.

Do the Keys. We've been to the Keys three times total and twice with the camper in the last 10 years. From the end of the Florida turnpike on the mainland in Homestead below Miami, it's a good 2.5 hours down to Key West. So it's really a haul to do a day trip from the mainland - the big draw is sunset at Mallory Square. Oh you can do it but it's a haul. I would suggest biting the bullet and doing a few nights in the Keys.

Same issue there. But in the Keys, sites are small-tight-expensive. Just know that going in. There is a KOA at Sugarloaf Key (about 20-30 miles from KW). I stayed at Boyd's Campground on Stock Island (the island before KW) which is private, small, and tight (nice pool though small). It was close (15 min to downtown KW). The other time (this past New Years) I was in Key Largo at a State Park (booked it 11 months in advance).

I know you want privacy between sites and Fort like sites and amenities - good luck with that. And you'll pay Fort-like rates or slightly less which puts you in places the 100 day snowbirds don't go. Like I said they are small and tight - as in people complain about not having room to put their slide out or put out their awning.... That tight.

So my advice is to do a stay around Ft Myers or Naples for a couple days and do the FW/Keys thing from a campground in the Keys (2 full days) in whichever order. KW is a great tourist town - they can separate you from your dollar better than most. If you want I can provide KW advice if you go forward with the plan. Dan can get your trailer in those tight spots without a doubt - but it's a whole other world down there.

Bama Ed

PS - our poster @amcc lives in South Florida and camps in that area so she might have ideas too...

Last edited:
Thanks, Ed.

I spent some time this morning researching and did find St Andrews and St George as possible first FL stops. We visit St Andrews for one day/night on our January 2013 trip. We spent a great day walking along the shore line and exploring. Kids were little. I’ll have to see if I can dig up some old photos of our St Andrews visit.

I really like the idea of a couple (three) campgrounds to give the trip some spice.

I also went a little itchy when I watched a few you tube videos of campgrounds in the Keys. Boy you’re not kidding on tight. I confess the too close for comfort sites coupled by the non stop noisy traffic of the highway, I’m a bit skeptical of the Keys. I don’t know. Hubby says he still wants to see the Keys regardless and that every campground would be the same amount and proximity the highway. I checked on Sugar Loaf/Long Key earlier too and they are closed due to hurricane damaged. I’ll have to keep checking on other key camping.

He really wants to do more and see more before or after Disney, so its a must this trip to explore more in FL. Yes, you are right “do it now”.

I checked out Ft Meyers and Naples per your recommendations. Thank you! Naples looks gorgeous and wouldn’t that just be the perfect place to stop between Andrews (or George) and somewhere in the keys. I checked the Naples KOA and they have availability!

St Andrews and George were both affected by Hurricane Michael and may not be available for travel during January. It will be iffy how soon-when they come back with any capacity.

Yep Long Key SP has been closed for a long time after Hurricane Irma (over a year). Drove past it this past January (still under repair). State parks are fully booked as I said (Pennekamp, Curry, and the half of Bahia Honda that's working) so you will have to go private most likely if you go to the Keys.

I'd say the Keys should be experienced at least once. They aren't the US Virgin Islands nor Fiji or Tahiti. But they are convenient.

Or you could camp and see the manatees. DD20 loved that in our Key Largo trip this past January (a rescued manatee) which is why we are going back to see them after Christmas.

Sanibel Island is famous for its shells: https://sanibel-captiva.org/sanibel-island-shelling/

Last edited:
The winter camping situation in the lower half of Florida is crazy. We have a weekend in a state park in March booked and we booked the last couple of sites at 8am 11 months in advance.

We love the Keys but availability will be an issue. I agree with Ed about the Naples beaches - the Keys beaches are rocky not sandy except for a few places like Bahia Honda. To really enjoy the water in the Keys, you have to get on the water and snorkel or kayak or fish. Still, the Keys have a Keys charm that’s unique for sure.

This summer, we were at a Anastasia state park in St. Augustine and it’s on our go back list. There’s a beach, kayaking, fishing, and historic St. Augustine. We loved it, kids loved it.

Near Orlando, for a more relaxed stay, there are multiple state parks with springs where you can probably see manatees. Those animals make me happy just through their existence and their soft, gentle attitude matches their soft, gentle shape perfectly.

We are big state park fans both for their prices and, generally, the quiet private sites. Stalk the floridastateparks.org website. It shows you availability for the whole range at one time plus there are pictures of each camp site.

Good luck! You are so lucky to have such a nice extended time to get on the road. I’m happy to answer any questions I can.

Thanks very much, @amcc and Ed.

Yes. Yes. I am right there with you on everything you said.

I'm finding availability to be an issue....I'm find the congestion of the campgrounds around the keys to be overwhelmingly closterphobic (if I could even find a space).

And that exact thought crossed my mind yesterday morning about getting into the water. No way with Charlotte right now!

Keys is just going to not happen right now. The "oh that would be fun" mindset and reality with the kids' ages and how we would accomplish things are two different things.

The parks and beaches I would like to visit are all closed and underconstruction so there's that too. (those parks and beaches around the gulf).

I'm tossing around the idea of just forgoing Disney for this coming January and just going west as far as we can.

Yes, thank you. I have been trapped at home with kids & homeschooling & a single mom lifestyle for two months now while hubby has been in the field, so I'm ready for winter and a big ol vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!