Campsite Availability

cbnsoul

DIS Veteran
We are in the market for a small travel trailer and would like to camp at Ft Wilderness over weekends 3-4 times per year. I was checking availablity for weekends and through February only found 3 with Fri-Sun openings. I was wondering if that is tropical or more of a result of COVID? I just hate to drop the money for the RV and have to end up booking multiple months out for a campsite.

We are in the market for a small travel trailer and would like to camp at Ft Wilderness over weekends 3-4 times per year. I was checking availablity for weekends and through February only found 3 with Fri-Sun openings. I was wondering if that is tropical or more of a result of COVID? I just hate to drop the money for the RV and have to end up booking multiple months out for a campsite.

That is fairly typical during the non-summer time frame. Some times you can see a Tent site (not an option for you) or the more expensive types of sites but not across all site types.

The "locals" (or people within half-day's drive or less) book weekends EARLY in the reservation window. You couple a short drive with a more affordable Florida annual pass and that creates little availability on weekends but weekdays are available.

Also once there are some bookings on those dates, Disney's reservation system plays games to make those days appear unavailable (in Friday - out Sunday) but available if you search a Wed-Wed stay for example. They want guests to book the longer stay and have made dropping unwanted days more problematic.

There are lots of good places to camp in Florida but availability is always an issue (snow birds, spring/fall break, etc.) so you either end up booking way early or waiting till last minute for an opening/cancellation. But if you are willing to pay, you can get a spot someplace worthwhile in the state.

Bama Ed

PS - my answer above is the routine, non-covid response. How covid plays into this and disney's halt on selling AP's for a while I haven't a clue. The reservations from now till Feb21 were probably booked a long time ago. In June-September the Fort is a little more available in general which is why there are discounts offered in Aug and Sep. Openings, though, are a different matter.

First, if you plan on camping at the Fort, plan on booking MONTHS out. Booking window opens at 499 days, and camping demand is up. Second see Bama Ed's post on Campsite Charges for 2021, and look at the increases from past years, a good predictor of future costs also.
This is the normal at Disney and has nothing to do with Covid. October to April is snowbird season in Florida and campgrounds are full, this year with Covid, RV sales are thru the roof as everyone has discovered this magical place called OUTSIDE.

Ed taught me the same lesson lol. We live near Pensacola and try to take quick trips down. Weekend availability for me has typically opened up the week before the trips. I even got Labor Day weekend last minute and we went down for that. It has been much easier post COVID but who knows how long that’s going to last.

....I just hate to drop the money for the RV and have to end up booking multiple months out for a campsite.
You're looking at the wrong campground, then, if you don't like booking months in advance. Do you like (love?) Disney World and want to try camping? Or just looking for a reason to justify the purchase?
If you can handle the spontaneity of last minute booking, maybe one to two weeks prior, then FW might be your kind of campground. That means you're betting on others canceling to free up the campsite. Otherwise plan on booking 499 days out (in a non-Covid world, of course).
I agree with Ed, there are plenty of really good campsites in FL, even state run campsites to choose from.

cbnsoul,

Please don't mis-understand what we're saying.

We would all LOVE to be able to dial up a short-term visit on relatively short notice.

But the Fort was initially built along with the opening of the Magic Kingdom in 1971. Loops 100-600 were opened a month after the MK.

In 1976-1977, Fort Wilderness expanded to include loops 700-2100. There's been a few sites added since as infill but for trailer/tent campsites the Fort has been the same for over 40 years.

In the mean time, Baby Boomers have retired (and many got RV's and campers) and the next gen (me and mine) have been taking the kids camping at WDW for decades. This is the classic example of "supply and demand" that they teach about in high school economics classes. And population growth adds that much more demand.

In the last 40 years, the campsite supply has not gone up but demand has. That puts pressure on prices and availability. That's why it is what it is.

Bama Ed

Thanks for the responses. We live in Tampa so are close but often can’t plan very far in advance due to our work schedules. We purchased DVC years ago when we lived out of state and trips to WDW comprised most of our vacations, I’m now stuck booking weekends 11 months out not knowing if we can even go (which is why we are in the process of selling our last DVC contract). While we would go camping in other locations as well, our primary destination would be FW and the last thing I want to do is continue to plan weekend trips months in advance Looks like renting a cabin (also not easy) when we want to stay at FW is probably better for our needs

Thanks for the responses. We live in Tampa so are close but often can’t plan very far in advance due to our work schedules. We purchased DVC years ago when we lived out of state and trips to WDW comprised most of our vacations, I’m now stuck booking weekends 11 months out not knowing if we can even go (which is why we are in the process of selling our last DVC contract). While we would go camping in other locations as well, our primary destination would be FW and the last thing I want to do is continue to plan weekend trips months in advance Looks like renting a cabin (also not easy) when we want to stay at FW is probably better for our needs
From your description I believe you would be correct. We all wish we could get FW on short notice but Disneys failure to expand prevents that.

I can also tell you that Florida state parks also often book 11 months in advance particularly from December to April (generally those south of Gainesville) and about 8 months in advance the rest of the year. I've resigned myself to booking things, sometimes multiple things, on different weekends, lengths, locations, and paying the cancellation fees. Disney has no fees for room only up to 5 days in advance and the state parks are a ~$11 fee. As an example, we are heading to a state park in the keys this weekend and I booked it last October. However, my brother found a site there LAST NIGHT after it had been sold out these 11 months. So, as @bama_ed and @Stork mentioned, if you are flexible and willing to just GO, you might be surprised what you find close to your preferred weekend. Its the downside of having both Disney and fabulous winter weather in our state. From Tampa, you have the benefit that you can reach a ton of places for a weekend trip - from here in Miami, even a weekend trip to Disney is too far away.

We book way in advance, at least a year or up to the 499 days. We reserve many dates. Yes we pay all the deposits all at once as we book each reservation. We have been doing this for many many years now. If you are looking for October, November and December those are the most popular times and gets booked up WAY in advance.
Covid has changed some things especially since all loops are not open (more loops are slowly starting to open), right now due to Covid no 499 days for booking and they are not taking new reservations after sept. 26th. 2021.
Best advice is to check daily and if something comes available for your days, book it. And as BamaEd said adjust your dates (ie: wed. Thru Wed.).
I am in clearwater.
Happy camping!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!