Can an added associate use TravelEx Insurance

Discussion in 'DVC Member Services' started by Maavernon, Mar 25, 2019.

  1. Maavernon

    Maavernon Earning My Ears

    Mar 4, 2012
    I am booking a trip for my sister and family and her family wants to get insurance for the trip. I know that as a DVC member the trip can only be insured through TravelEx. The problem is that my husband and I (the members) will not be traveling. I was looking in to making my sister an associate of our membership so she could be named the Insured. Is this possible?

    There is a notice on the Travel Insurance page that says:PLEASE NOTE: Associates cannot purchase this Member offering. Only U.S. citizens/residents are eligible to purchase.

    Do they mean Associates of the membership or possibly Associates as employees of Disney?

    If this is the case would I be able to purchase the insurance but have the family members traveling use it?

    Looking for any advice on this before I go and tell them they can't get trip insurance for this trip and stay at a DVC property.
  2. Frederic Civish

    Frederic Civish “I’m just here for the Ears.”

    Apr 18, 2018
    I have used TravelEx insurance before, but never for DVC. TravelEx is PRIMARILY a company that does money exchanges in airports for travelers, but they do sell insurance, too, and it is usually good.

    So, you are saying that TravelEx says that THEIR policy (for DVC) only can be purchased by actual DVC owners? What is special about this insurance? Is this the 'DVC Insurance' that I have heard about? Why go with that policy, in particular?

    When we travel, we ALWAYS go to and purchase our travel insurance through them. They list many many companies and policies. is a great resource for travel insurance. They sell their policies to anyone.
  3. erionm

    erionm DIS Veteran

    Dec 6, 2008
    Associate members listed on the membership can't pay for the Travel Insurance, only an owner (listed on the deed) can purchase it.

    As to whether or not the coverage would extend to others when the person that purchase the policy is not on the trip, you should call MS and ask them.

    Also, the TravelEx policy offered by DVC is per Use Year and covers all trips taken using points from that covered UY.
    bumbershoot likes this.
  4. ScubaCat

    ScubaCat DIS Veteran

    May 12, 2008
    From :
    • Associates cannot purchase this Member offering but they can be covered if they are the spouse or domestic partner of the Member–even if the Member isn't traveling.

    The language sounds weird but they call it a "Member offering", so take those 2 words together as a noun and it makes sense.

Share This Page