Can anyone who brings their own scooter please talk me through?

Toffeewoffy

DIS Veteran
I have finally succumbed and bought myself a secondhand Pride Go Go Elite yesterday - 3 wheel version. I am aware it doesn't have the biggest battery, but it does at least mean I can bring it over to WDW on the plane.

If I do decide to bring it (bearing in mind that two trips and it'll almost have paid for itself in the savings made on not hiring), I will obviously need to plan the whole procedure including who I need to inform, etc. The procedure is:

1) Taxi to Gatwick Airport with 2 full size suitcases and 2 cabin cases
2) Stay at airport hotel overnight and then transport ourselves and all the bags over to the airport
3) Get through check in and security at the airport
4) Get from the Special Assistance lounge to the plane
5) Disembark in Florida
6) Get to and through Immigration
7) Collect our suitcases
8) Get up to the next level (I presume they'll let me take the elevator if I have the scooter at that point) with all our bags
9) Through the monorail and down the long, long hallway to DME
10) Get the cases and the scooter into the DME
11) Get it all off at AKL
12) Reverse the whole process at the end of our holiday - but with an extra suitcase!

I will need to speak to Virgin Atlantic about their policy and how and where they divest me of the scooter so I can board the plane (or wait it out and use their buggy from the lounge to the gate), and I know I'll also have to contact Disney to make sure they're able to get my scooter onto the bus. It is small enough that one person could take each end, use the 'one-two-three-LIFT' procedure and hoist it into the luggage area under the bus. That would save time dismantling it - and keep all the pieces from rolling around and getting separated during the long drive to AKL.

Has anyone either done this to and from the UK, or alternatively bringing their scooter from another state to and from Disney? If it's too much of a hassle I won't bother with the stress and inconvenience and will just hire. I know it'll cost a lot more, but we'll be on holiday, and it's just another thing to worry about, right?!

Plus I'll have to go onto Amazon.com and find someone who can ship a US charger to the UK as obviously my one has a UK plug on it! I have done a bit of research, and have found a couple well under $20, so it's doable. Alternatively, would someone like Gold Mobility rent/lend me one for the duration?

Thanks.

I feel awful saying this, but that sounds absolutely horrendous to me. You said you were open to renting in the US, and that’s what I would suggest you do if you can. Then just get wheelchair transfers at both ends of the flight. I don’t fly from Gatwick but I did find MCO’s wheelchair transfers were fine.

Re the charger, it would likely be cheaper and easier for you to get the charger send directly to AKL for when you arrive. Even with the hotel’s package handling fee, which is under $10 (I think it is $6), it will likely be cheaper than getting it sent to the U.K.

I feel awful saying this, but that sounds absolutely horrendous to me. You said you were open to renting in the US, and that’s what I would suggest you do if you can. Then just get wheelchair transfers at both ends of the flight. I don’t fly from Gatwick but I did find MCO’s wheelchair transfers were fine.

Re the charger, it would likely be cheaper and easier for you to get the charger send directly to AKL for when you arrive. Even with the hotel’s package handling fee, which is under $10 (I think it is $6), it will likely be cheaper than getting it sent to the U.K.

I think the real question is whether/how much you (OP) would need it for the Gatwick process itself. If you can do the airport either without a chair or use their special assistance wheeling, I think you might find that easier. If not, then I think what you've planned sounds pretty comprehensive.

I think the real question is whether/how much you (OP) would need it for the Gatwick process itself. If you can do the airport either without a chair or use their special assistance wheeling, I think you might find that easier. If not, then I think what you've planned sounds pretty comprehensive.

True, but she can get wheelchair assistance at Gatwick from check in to the aircraft door, so it might be doable.

It is small enough that one person could take each end,
I would not recommend this. All DME buses have storage compartments under the bus but (a) which two people do you expect to "1-2-3 LIFT" your equipment into a storage area and (b) given that your list includes notifying Disney that you're bringing the ECV, why would you not stay on the ECV and use the lift to get you and it into the bus?

I would not recommend this. All DME buses have storage compartments under the bus but (a) which two people do you expect to "1-2-3 LIFT" your equipment into a storage area and (b) given that your list includes notifying Disney that you're bringing the ECV, why would you not stay on the ECV and use the lift to get you and it into the bus?
The two people would be me and by hubby. The scooter weighs surprisingly little and I can easily lift each section on my own. Bearing in mind we've actually lifted the front and then the rear of a complete Pride Victory into the back of an SUV between us, it's not impossible.

I just thought it might be quicker/easier for them for us to do it that way, that's all.

Not sure they would allow non-CMs to place anything directly into the storage compartment.

They had my sister place her cases directly into the storage compartment when she used DME. I was surprised, but I watched her do it, so I’m not sure how strict they are. (My sister has no disabilities).

I have finally succumbed and bought myself a secondhand Pride Go Go Elite yesterday - 3 wheel version. I am aware it doesn't have the biggest battery, but it does at least mean I can bring it over to WDW on the plane.

If I do decide to bring it (bearing in mind that two trips and it'll almost have paid for itself in the savings made on not hiring), I will obviously need to plan the whole procedure including who I need to inform, etc. The procedure is:

1) Taxi to Gatwick Airport with 2 full size suitcases and 2 cabin cases
2) Stay at airport hotel overnight and then transport ourselves and all the bags over to the airport
3) Get through check in and security at the airport
4) Get from the Special Assistance lounge to the plane
5) Disembark in Florida
6) Get to and through Immigration
7) Collect our suitcases
8) Get up to the next level (I presume they'll let me take the elevator if I have the scooter at that point) with all our bags
9) Through the monorail and down the long, long hallway to DME
10) Get the cases and the scooter into the DME
11) Get it all off at AKL
12) Reverse the whole process at the end of our holiday - but with an extra suitcase!

I will need to speak to Virgin Atlantic about their policy and how and where they divest me of the scooter so I can board the plane (or wait it out and use their buggy from the lounge to the gate), and I know I'll also have to contact Disney to make sure they're able to get my scooter onto the bus. It is small enough that one person could take each end, use the 'one-two-three-LIFT' procedure and hoist it into the luggage area under the bus. That would save time dismantling it - and keep all the pieces from rolling around and getting separated during the long drive to AKL.

Has anyone either done this to and from the UK, or alternatively bringing their scooter from another state to and from Disney? If it's too much of a hassle I won't bother with the stress and inconvenience and will just hire. I know it'll cost a lot more, but we'll be on holiday, and it's just another thing to worry about, right?!

Plus I'll have to go onto Amazon.com and find someone who can ship a US charger to the UK as obviously my one has a UK plug on it! I have done a bit of research, and have found a couple well under $20, so it's doable. Alternatively, would someone like Gold Mobility rent/lend me one for the duration?

Thanks.

Though I am from the States, I have the same scooter as you and I travel with it all the time including flights to Orlando and I have traveled to the UK once with it. While going through Security I am usually able to go through an accessible and/or TSA pre-check line that cuts down on all the back and forth I would have to do in order to navigate through the regular line. Before it’s time to board I make sure that the gate agents properly tag my scooter so it goes on the right plane to the correct destination. Knock on wood for the majority of times I am able to pre-board and ride my scooter right up the entrance of the plane. Before the plane lands to its destination, I give the flight attendants a friendly heads up that I will need my scooter to be by the door of the plane once we land. I usually am the last to unboard the plane which is fine with me as long as my scooter is there waiting for me once I exit the aircraft. I typically have just carry on luggage and travel with a companion so I unfortunately can’t give advice about baggage claim with a scooter. In regards to the Magical Express, in advance I note that I need a wheelchair lift and I am able to board the mother coach in a safe way without having to use steps.

Everyone’s needs are different so at the end of the day do what is best for you.:)

The process is no different than traveling with a manual wheelchair. My biggest concern for you would be finding a big enough taxi for all your things.

When you check in at airline, they should do an inspection of your device and tag it. You may also need to get it gate checked when you get to gate (another tag). When you are ready to board, board with the those who pre board. You should be able to ride your scooter to the door and then walk to your seat or use aisle chair to get to your seat.

When deplaning, stay in your seat until flight attendant informs you that your device has been brought up.

For DME, you can request a bus with a lift I don’t see why it would be a big deal for your family member and driver to load your scooter into baggage area. They load my manual chair all the time, and I have been on buses where they have loaded scooters.

Have a great trip!

For DME, you can request a bus with a lift I don’t see why it would be a big deal for your family member and driver to load your scooter into baggage area. They load my manual chair all the time, and I have been on buses where they have loaded scooters.
Do they let you use the lift if you're not in your Mobility device? The way I understand it is you have to be in or on a device in order to use the lift. I know that's been posted here before most likely or possibly in the wdw FAQ.

I can walk short distances with crutches, so I go up the few stairs and sit in front.

I guess I made an assumption that the OP could walk some based on info in original post. OP, if you cannot manage the stairs on your own, you will need to remain on your device for the lift.

Fortunately we can now drive to WDW, but here’s an account of a trip we made to San Francisco.

Trip to airport- we drove and parked at the airport. No info about UK taxis. My husband dropped me off with the scooter and luggage while he went to park. I checked the luggage outside while DH was parking. I stayed on my scooter after DH let me out.

I drove to security. As I could not stand independently I had to wait for a special TSA agent to come wand me and swab a few items

I drove to gate where I checked in with the desk attendant when she arrived. I was given a tag for my scooter. As I’d gotten there early i loved having my scooter with me to go to the restroom, to get a snack etc. I drove it right up to the plane door to board . My DH and I were the first to board - he loved that. At time time I could walk to my seat while holding on so did so. If not they have a narrow wheelchair to transport the passenger.

I waited until the plane was empty and then exited to find my scooter waiting for me. Picked up luggage and went to car rental.

On leaving SF my DH returned the rental car after us checking into a hotel near the airport. I had to notify the hotel that I would be on a scooter for the shuttle. I drove it on the lift and stayed on it for the trip to the airport.
I am omitting customs etc as I have not done that in Orlando.

For WDW you would drive to ME check in. You will need to note on your reservation that you will have a scooter. Then you can enter via the bus lift on your scooter. I do not know if you have the option to stay on it for the ride. You can with a wheelchair.

geed+nerd and arminnie, thank you for your very useful information. It does settle my worries somewhat. I can walk for about half an hour but find the airport and pulling suitcases at the same time too tiring, which is the main reason why I always arrange airport assistance. It is supposed to get me to the gate first for prior boarding, but in London it never works that way and we find ourselves making a second queue alongside the ordinary one in order to 'push in' to get onto the plane.

At the same time, until I've actually spoken to the special assistance department at Virgin Atlantic - which is only open the usual UK opening hours so I will have to ring them during my lunch break at work - I won't know exactly what their requirements are. They implied that I could bring it to the gate or have it brought to the lower level to go in the hold, so I need to find out exactly how they do it.

Getting an airport taxi here is no problem. The company we use has everything from a standard saloon car right up to a limo! We usually get an estate car to make sure all our luggage goes in if all 3 of us are travelling), but SUVs are also available. It'll likely cost a further £30 or so each way over the top of what I usually pay (it was £125 return back in February), but how we'll transfer isn't the problem - it's the whole palaver of it all.

When we came through MCO back in February, everything was different to what we were used to, so it's just as well I had someone pushing me in a wheelchair or we'd have got quite lost!

@Toffeewoffy - Does DME not transfer luggage for international flights? Unless you are arriving between 10 pm and 5 am Orlando time, I believe they should transfer your luggage - so you don't have to stop and drag bags all the way down to the bus; let them handle the luggage, and it will be delivered directly to your Resort hotel room within a couple of hours 🙂

And, just to clear up a bit of confusion I saw above - if you can't do steps, and you need to use the lift to enter the DME bus, you will have to ride on your ECV. You are not allowed to stand on the lift to ride up and down. The drivers are skilled at getting you and your device on and off the bus - the last thing they want is for you to start (or end) your vacation with a "thrill ride"! Listen carefully to their instructions, and it will be fine! 🙂

Probably Gold (or any other vendor) won't want to loan out a power supply, simply because those tend to be one/unit, and they will need it for any rental units they have. Plan on purchasing - and if you have it shipped directly to the Resort, you can always ask nicely to have the package fee waived because it is part of your personal mobility device. I have found that typically Disney Resorts won't charge the handling fee for the delivery of medical equipment and supplies. Doesn't hurt to ask!

Last but not least - don't know about Virgin Atlantic, but most stateside airlines will allow you to drive all the way to the door of the plane. As others have said, you can then board (either by walking or using the special narrow aisle chair) and your scooter should be taken down to the tarmac level by either a ground crew member, or (at some airports) by one of the service assistance folks (who push the wheelchairs). At the other end of the flight, it's all reversed.

I hope you and your new mobility buddy have a good trip!!! Have you named it yet? 🙂

FOr international arrivals who are clearing US customs in MCO:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/magical-express/

International Arrivals
Upon exiting your aircraft, enter the U.S. Immigration checkpoint. After retrieving your luggage, proceed to the Customs checkpoint.

When exiting the Customs area you may keep your checked bags with you to travel on the motorcoach, or use our complimentary luggage delivery service—available for flights landing between 5:00 AM and 10:00 PM. To take advantage of this complimentary service, simply return your checked luggage to the transfer carousel after completing the immigration and customs process. Disney will claim your baggage and deliver it to your Resort hotel.

Take the train to the main terminal building where you will arrive on Level 3. Disney's Magical Express is located in Terminal B, Level 1. Guests arriving in Terminal A of the airport are advised to cross to Terminal B before proceeding down to Level 1. Upon arrival, please let us know if you will need assistance boarding the motorcoach.

END QUOTE

I've heard that this only applies to US travellers. I've been told UK visitors have to bring their luggage to the bus themselves.

I've heard that this only applies to US travellers. I've been told UK visitors have to bring their luggage to the bus themselves.

No, it applies to anyone flying into the US whose first stop in the US is MCO, who did not pre-clear US customs at their origin, so they are clearing US immigration and customs at MCO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter