can I burn home videos onto a dvd?

binny

do something that MATTERS!
do I need special machines or cables? I have so many home movies that I want to transfer them over to dvd but I have no idea how I would do it. All I have is a cd writer on my puter but like I said Im clueless lol.

thanks for helping!

My dh just got a new toy this weekend to do this. It's a dvd recorder thing that has a hard drive in it so he connected it to our vcr. He records it to the hard drive and then from the hard drive onto the dvd.
As you can tell I'm NOT technically talented .;) I don't know if you can do the same thing with a computer or not.
Next? :)

You can't burn DVDs on a CD burner. DVD burners are running around $400, but they'll go down in price eventually.

ok thast what I figured hmmm I know our dvd player also plays cdr's so I guess thats what I was thinking.

You can burn home movies in VideoCD format (or VCD) and your DVD player will probably play them. If it can play CD-R's, then in all likelyhood it will play VCDs.

In order to get the videotapes into your computer, you need a video capture card or a video card that can also do capture. I currently have an ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro card that I use to do video capture from both tapes and from the built in TV tuner. The quality of VCDs is not as good as DVD, but it will do for home movies. You may need a fairly powerful PC in order to do decent video captures depending on the type of card that you purchase.

If you have any specific questions, please PM me and I'll try to answer them.

The photo kiosk at our Target has that service. I think it's $30 or so to transfer a 2 hour VHS to a DVD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter