Can I work at Downtown Disney?

Mica123

Earning My Ears
Hey guys so a few years ago I used to work at Disneyland but I was terminated for accepting money that my family wanted to give me (stupid I know.) I'm a restricted rehire but I would like to work there again and I would never make that same mistake. So since I can't apply at Disneyland will I be able to apply to the downtown Disney stores and hope that they won't find out about my termination from DL? I really miss the work environment and I'm a huge fan of Disney!

Last edited:
I would assume that your restricted rehire status applies only to the Disney comapny. Places like Starbucks are independent and Disney would not have any influence over who they hire. HOWEVER Starbucks would of course look for your employee record from Disney and possible contact Disney HR for a reference. It would depend on Starbucks hiring policies whether they accept someone with a Disney restricted rehire status.

Technically speaking a prospective employer can ask a past employer if you worked there and whether or not they'd hire you back. They aren't supposed to ask exactly how and why you left the company. Chances are that if they asked Disney if they'd hire you back, they'll say 'no'.

If it were 'a few years ago' would it do any good to contact Disney and see if you can get your status changed? If you've had a good work record since then and can get a couple of references showing you as trustworthy and conscientious, maybe they'd lift the restriction.

If not, was your work for Disney short enough that you can leave it off your resume without creating too big of a gap?

I don't get why your family giving you money would lead to termination, but I don't know Disney's rules. Is it something that could be explained without too much of an appearance of gross dishonesty or duplicity? Like "I let a relative use my employee discount"? That would be different than "My brother paid me $50.00 and I let him through the turnstiles" or something.

Technically speaking a prospective employer can ask a past employer if you worked there and whether or not they'd hire you back. They aren't supposed to ask exactly how and why you left the company. Chances are that if they asked Disney if they'd hire you back, they'll say 'no'.

If it were 'a few years ago' would it do any good to contact Disney and see if you can get your status changed? If you've had a good work record since then and can get a couple of references showing you as trustworthy and conscientious, maybe they'd lift the restriction.

If not, was your work for Disney short enough that you can leave it off your resume without creating too big of a gap?

I don't get why your family giving you money would lead to termination, but I don't know Disney's rules. Is it something that could be explained without too much of an appearance of gross dishonesty or duplicity? Like "I let a relative use my employee discount"? That would be different than "My brother paid me $50.00 and I let him through the turnstiles" or something.

I'm thinking it was along the lines of accepting a tip from a park guest, which is prohibited whether it's from family or not. Any prospective employer can call Disney for a reference. Most past employers will only give dates of employment and the title or position. Some will also reveal whether or not the person is subject to rehire.

Yeah, a little bit of a side note here, but there's no law that prohibits a prospective employer from doing a thorough reference check, and no law that prohibits that former employer from giving an honest answer. Many folks avoid giving much info about former employees for fear of being sued (which I hate, as a hiring manager), but there's not a law that keeps them from doing so. This is a really useful blog post from an employment attorney: http://employeeatty.blogspot.com/20...sImGoingHome+(Screw+You+Guys,+I'm+Going+Home)

Sure, anyone can sue anyone for anything pretty much. That’s different from a law saying you can’t give a reference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!