Can MS merge a studio & 1 BR reservation into a 2BR Lock-Off?

Lorana

DIS Veteran
If someone where to have a studio and a 1 BR reserved in a resort that has 2 BR Lock-Offs, could MS change that into a 2BR lock-off reservation without risking losing both by cancelling and rebooking?

I was more thinking from the perspective that it's relatively easy to get 1BRs but not Studios. If at a timeframe we would prefer a 2BR, could we reserve the 1BR, waitlist the Studio, and then convert to a 2BR Lock-off via Member Services?

Depends. If you are booked in a lock off studio and a lock off 1BR and same view type (at a resort that has different view types). We had it booked at AKV once. A studio stand view Kidani and a 1BR also stand view Kidani. We booked separate because MIL and FIL were in one and SIL was in other and MIL and FIL didn't want to be connected to their room. Wanted a little space. Cost me extra points but that was okay. Then, at check in, they were starting to tell us those 2 rooms would be connecting. They thought they did good by connecting them since we were a big family travelling together (I also had a 2BR for my fam of 5 and other SIL had a 2BR for her fam of 5). I had to discreetly correct them and ask for separation (with SIL in ear shot). I mean, it cost me extra points too so if they did give us a 2BR lock off then I'd want some points back.

Recently, we had a 2BR lock off standard view at BWV for us and MIL and FIL and MIL and FIL could not make the trip. So while driving down I called MS and asked them to drop the studio part. They did it for me. Split it and cancelled the studio part and just kept us in the 1BR and charged those points and put rest into holding. So if they can break them up, they should be able to merge. But it has to be lock off units of same view category.

Thanks! I was specifically look at AKV Concierge. We have a 1BR booked and are waitlisting the Studio, and was wondering if we cleared the studio waitlist if they could convert to a 2BR for me.

I just tried MS Chat, and the rep's response was "That's a great question!" and then directed me to call in. Perhaps when I get some free time I'll try to call to see if it's something they can do.

My understanding with the AKV Concierge rooms, is that they are 5 Lock-Offs to begin with, right? If so, I'd think it'd be possible.

I just tried MS Chat, and the rep's response was "That's a great question!" and then directed me to call in. Perhaps when I get some free time I'll try to call to see if it's something they can do.

My understanding with the AKV Concierge rooms, is that they are 5 Lock-Offs to begin with, right? If so, I'd think it'd be possible.

Here is why it may not be as easy as it sounds. The studio you are may not be next to the 1 bedroom.

The people who are leaving those rooms may have checked in at different times so they are not in rooms next to each other,

All you can do is call and see if both come through!

Here is why it may not be as easy as it sounds. The studio you are may not be next to the 1 bedroom.

The people who are leaving those rooms may have checked in at different times so they are not in rooms next to each other,

All you can do is call and see if both come through!
Wouldn't I avoid that problem switching them in advance? To be clear, I'm talking about advanced reservations, not at check-in. So if I have a 1 BR booked for 3 nights, and then clear a waitlist for those same 3 nights in a Studio, shouldn't they be able to change that to a 2BR Lock-Off since rooms won't be assigned yet and I have the same nights booked for rooms that make up the 2BR Lock-Off?

Wouldn't I avoid that problem switching them in advance? To be clear, I'm talking about advanced reservations, not at check-in. So if I have a 1 BR booked for 3 nights, and then clear a waitlist for those same 3 nights in a Studio, shouldn't they be able to change that to a 2BR Lock-Off since rooms won't be assigned yet and I have the same nights booked for rooms that make up the 2BR Lock-Off?

Possibly, I wasn’t thinking about advance, I guess you’d have to contact them.

The only thing is that in order to book it as a 2 bedroom, they might have to somehow cancel and book as this is a new category Of a room. They can’t combine two reservations into 1 normally unless they are the same room type.

It would not be as easy as it sounds because while yes, you do have the 2 pieces of a 2 bedroom lock off, it’s not booked like that.

For years, they would not allow people to drop part of a 2 bedroom lock off, and most times they still don’t, but some have had luck. Just don’t know if it’s possible to go the other way.

I recently dealt with this when I upgraded one of the two BWV studios that’s my daughter was booked in to a 1 BR. I was able to request that they be connecting rooms, but the MS CM told me pretty emphatically that they could not be merged into a 2BR lockoff.

If someone where to have a studio and a 1 BR reserved in a resort that has 2 BR Lock-Offs, could MS change that into a 2BR lock-off reservation without risking losing both by cancelling and rebooking?

I was more thinking from the perspective that it's relatively easy to get 1BRs but not Studios. If at a timeframe we would prefer a 2BR, could we reserve the 1BR, waitlist the Studio, and then convert to a 2BR Lock-off via Member Services?

Highly unlikely and would really be pixie dust if you found a CM who would do that. Many have been told no to merging into a 2br like that and also to splitting up a 2Br lockoff.

I recently dealt with this when I upgraded one of the two BWV studios that’s my daughter was booked in to a 1 BR. I was able to request that they be connecting rooms, but the MS CM told me pretty emphatically that they could not be merged into a 2BR lockoff.

I thought part of the problem is that a 2-bedroom would "cost" less than a 1-bedroom & a studio booked separately. If this change is made in advance, it would technically be booking a new category that may not be available. If there is a waitlist, who should get the 2-bedroom which would now become available when a 1-bedroom & a studio get cancelled?

LAX

They were not able to do it for us once at VWL. We were at least on the same floor!

I thought part of the problem is that a 2-bedroom would "cost" less than a 1-bedroom & a studio booked separately. If this change is made in advance, it would technically be booking a new category that may not be available. If there is a waitlist, who should get the 2-bedroom which would now become available when a 1-bedroom & a studio get cancelled?

LAX

Good point about waitlist. It is why they typically won’t split either..though reports in the last year have indicated some got a CM to do it..which they should not.

I tired to merge a 1bd std with a studio std at bwv once. They emphatically said no, that they need to cancel both and rebook... I didn’t want to take the chance of losing my std rooms during dvc fall frenzy, so I demurred.

I think they have a policy not to merge the two....

We're in the separate boat. Have 2br lockout and considering downsizing it to 1brlockout (VGC) since the party maybe smaller than we anticipated. Hoping that MS will be able to do that since studios are at a premium and it'll open a slot there and point advantage to DVC to do so.

We're in the separate boat. Have 2br lockout and considering downsizing it to 1brlockout (VGC) since the party maybe smaller than we anticipated. Hoping that MS will be able to do that since studios are at a premium and it'll open a slot there and point advantage to DVC to do so.

Same answer as combining. It will truly be pixie dust if they do it so do not expect it.

I was told the same thing when I asked the question years ago.

That's why people recommend booking them in separate categories, right? Even though the points cost is more?

Yes, it's a decision you really have to make up front. If you think there's uncertainty for part of the group then book separately and request to be close together. Or else know that if someone does cancel closer to the travel dates you'll either be risking your room in downsizing from the 2BR lockoff or changing resorts if you don't want to keep the larger accommodations. Or just ponying up the extra points and enjoy wandering the rooms.

Yes, it's a decision you really have to make up front. If you think there's uncertainty for part of the group then book separately and request to be close together. Or else know that if someone does cancel closer to the travel dates you'll either be risking your room in downsizing from the 2BR lockoff or changing resorts if you don't want to keep the larger accommodations. Or just ponying up the extra points and enjoy wandering the rooms.
Or don't invite wishy-washy friends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter