• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can you get all DVC units....as cold as you want?

alldiz

DIS Veteran
Hi....
I'm thinking of going in the summer....

Only resort where I had problems with A/C is POP...

The temp is set to 68....unless someone resets it...

How are the A/C units in the DVC's....
Someone please tell me ....that you havent had problem
getting your room nice and cold...

I was wondering does SSR have same unit as pop...
since they are new...
Thanks
Kerri

Okay, this is one beef I did have with our room at SSR. We did stay in FEB. so maybe that makes a difference but the A/C would come on only if there was someone moving around in the room. That means we came back to a hot room and woke up to a hot room. We did not call (too busy I guess:rolleyes1 ) to see if it could be changed.

There is a way to bypass the sensors on these units. there have been threads about this in the last couple of years; see if you can search for them.

As owners and paying the utility bill with our dues, I hope that we really don't do this too often. I can see where at times one may need to do this, but if it abused, we will all be paying for it. I hope that if we do this, we only have the temperature lowered when we are in the room and not keeping it cool when no one is there (and reality is that this may be for the majority of the day). Here is what was posted in another thread. I do not know if it works:

" On the thermostat, push the power button and the down arrow at the exact same time. If you do this correctly there will be the letters "bp" where the temp. numbers usually are. You are now bypassing the sensors in the room. You can then set the temp to whatever you want and it keeps the room that cold. You may have to do this once a day as the thermostat tends to go back to sensor mode after 24 hours."

As owners and paying the utility bill with our dues, I hope that we really don't do this too often. I can see where at times one may need to do this, but if it abused, we will all be paying for it. I hope that if we do this, we only have the temperature lowered when we are in the room and not keeping it cool when no one is there (and reality is that this may be for the majority of the day). Here is what was posted in another thread. I do not know if it works:

" On the thermostat, push the power button and the down arrow at the exact same time. If you do this correctly there will be the letters "bp" where the temp. numbers usually are. You are now bypassing the sensors in the room. You can then set the temp to whatever you want and it keeps the room that cold. You may have to do this once a day as the thermostat tends to go back to sensor mode after 24 hours."

Vandy, I know what you mean and in fact DH and I discussed when we where there. However, my beef is when I have to wake up at 2 a.m. cause I'm soaked in sweat.

As owners and paying the utility bill with our dues, I hope that we really don't do this too often. I can see where at times one may need to do this, but if it abused, we will all be paying for it. I hope that if we do this, we only have the temperature lowered when we are in the room and not keeping it cool when no one is there (and reality is that this may be for the majority of the day).

I understand your point, really I do. However, shouldn't we be able to decide what temperature we want our rooms when staying in delux accommodations? When your shelling out the kind of dough we all do for DVC you shouldn't have to wake up in the middle of the night in a sweat to do jumping jacks on the bed to get the sensor to give you some cool air.

However, shouldn't we be able to decide what temperature we want our rooms when staying in delux accommodations? QUOTE]

This is a delicate issue though, first the logic of the arguement "we pay alot for deluxe accomodations" could be applied to virtually any situation. Second, there has obviously been "abuse" (if that's the right word) in the past of people turing the thermostat down to 63 degrees and leaving for the parks for 12 hours just so they can get home to a really cold room...highly wasteful and unnecesary from my point of view, so I'm not sure what the solution is. I do understand that waking upin the middle of the night is no fun though.:)

Thanks for all the responses....

I will try the override thing....hope it works...

The maintenance man at pop fixed it....so I guess that is what he did...

I'm hoping the ceiling fan will help...move the air around....
i think that is why it was so bad at pop....
felt like no air was circulating...

My main concern is sleeping in the cool....I dont keep it any
different at the hotel....than at home....
But I do expect to be able to stay cool while I am
at my "home away from home"
thanks
Kerri

Having the AC turn off when the rooms are unocupied undoubtedly reduces resort expenses in major way.

I agree too about waking up sweaty in the middle of the night! I'm a big guy that thinks 60 degrees is tropical and 50 degrees is just about right! Anyway, all I meant was to say let's try not to abuse it or leave the temperature down when we may be away from the room for several hours. I felt like reminding eveyone who reads these threads and not just DVC owners to be responsible. In traveling around I've seen people crank the AC down to 60 degrees or lower and then leave. What I do is when we get back from the park, turn it down to get immediate cooling then turn it back up a little to find some happy point inbetween. Usually that is between 65 and 67 degrees. It's nice and cool overnight and I can sleep. Then in the morning, if the thermostat hasn't reverted back, I raise it back to where it was so we aren't cooling an empty room for hours and hours. (I also realize that many people with asthema or other breathing conditions will need to bypass the settings as well).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter