Can you share a place you couldnt wait to eat but was a huge letdown

California Grill for brunch. Was soooo looking forward to this on our last mother/daughter trip. Envisioned overlooking the park and my daughter was so hyped to get our receipt to come back and watch the fireworks. Big let down. Our waiter wasn't the greatest to begin with when we placed our order. He didn't explain the various areas of the buffet. Then after waiting for what seemed like forever, he approached our table and started to apologize as he completely forgot to give our order to the kitchen. My daughter and I were beyond annoyed. We had to leave without our brunch and no way of coming back to see the fireworks as we had booked a fastpass for Flight of Passage and we did not want to miss that window. I was so disappointed in the experience we had there that it left a sour taste in my mouth!

Our waiter wasn't the greatest to begin with when we placed our order. He didn't explain the various areas of the buffet. Then after waiting for what seemed like forever, he approached our table and started to apologize as he completely forgot to give our order to the kitchen.

Did you complain to the manager? Any waiter who forgets to give a customer's order to the kitchen shouldn't have that job.

When I first saw the thread title I struggled to think of a place to eat that was a let down.... then I read some of the posts and started to have flashbacks lol

Me too, sort of. I wasn't disappointed by the meal or service, but the ambiance at Narcoosee's was so chaotic! I took my mom for a special dinner, for the fireworks, and it was a madhouse! I've never been tempted to go, again. OTOH, we had crab nachos and drinks at the bar in Blue Zoo and it was delightful.
'Ohana was also chaotic. Food came too fast to eat, got cold on the table, the waiter wasn't very attentive. It wasn't a HUGE letdown, but we're not interested in going back. It's way too much food for us, anyway.
The one place I heard praises about was AOA's food court, when it first opened. I was so excited to try the variety but we couldn't visit different bays, with the 3 young kids, and still eat within a timely manner. We ended up with grab & go sandwiches on arrival night, an almost inedible bounty platter the next morning (cold, hard biscuits, potatoes dowsed in onion powder, dry scrambled eggs) that we never tried, again. The experience really put us off food courts, in general.
For some reason, the noise in VN doesn't bug me. I also don't expect a Signature experience, like I did at Narcoosee's. Oh yeah, the pizza beats any other I've had Texas (or the South). I'm willing to put up with a lot for My Precious Prosciutto & Melon. Our service has always been good to great there, too. That really makes a difference.

Did you complain to the manager? Any waiter who forgets to give a customer's order to the kitchen shouldn't have that job.

Yes we did. He just said that he would make sure we would get our meal as quickly as possible. That's it. I honestly don't remember him even apologizing. We told him we didn't have time to wait because I wanted to make sure that we made our fast pass window. We had been in the restaurant at that point a good 2 hours. As we were standing waiting for the elevator he came rushing to us with our "hot" meals in a "To Go" bag. I wasn't going to carry around my warm breakfast until I had a chance to eat it. All in all it was not a good experience for my first time there especially since I had heard so many great reviews about it.

Olivia's. We just at there this past Wednesday. Ordered the fried chicken that everyone raves about. It was ok. Nowhere close to the awesomeness of Homecomin' (for my palette). It was 1 small boneless breast, smothered in gravy. The chicken was very salty (and I like salty).

Bongos. Ate there Friday. It was meh. And its closing in a few months.

Last edited:
Reading some of these makes me kinda sad... so many of our favorite places that we have to have every trip like Ohana, Biergarten and BOG... to each their own I suppose :)

For me mine are:

Akershus- the food is bland, and the potatoes are beyond gross... what really sealed the never again for me was when the server was in such a rush he caused my 4 year old to burn herself with a candle... 4 years later and she still has that scar

The princesses also never seem to have time to spend.

CRT breakfast was several years ago and the food was terrible and the princesses of course were sparse

Mickeys BBQ... never doing that one again... dried out food, lots of noise and lots of bugs.. Disney does a good job making this one sound good but it's awful!

Yes we did. He just said that he would make sure we would get our meal as quickly as possible. That's it. I honestly don't remember him even apologizing. We told him we didn't have time to wait because I wanted to make sure that we made our fast pass window. We had been in the restaurant at that point a good 2 hours. As we were standing waiting for the elevator he came rushing to us with our "hot" meals in a "To Go" bag. I wasn't going to carry around my warm breakfast until I had a chance to eat it. All in all it was not a good experience for my first time there especially since I had heard so many great reviews about it.

Did you pay? I would absolutely not paid the high price of the CG brunch and then not eaten any food.

It wasn't a huge letdown, but for the $60 price tag I was expecting more food at BOG for dinner. The filet mignon was excellent but small. All of the food was very tasty but the meal doesn't fill you up.

Columbia Harbor House was pretty good but I can't figure out why they don't have fish and chips. Shouldn't a seafood place have fish and chips? And trying to go up the stairs holding a tray with both hands was pretty scary. I'm sure people have taken tumbles down those stairs because there's no way to hold onto a handrail. Also, it was lunchtime and the noise level was unreal. We called it "Columbia Cracker Barrel." :-)

What I find funny is that so many people complain about BOG yet it is still one of the hardest reservations to get...why is that? (I've never eaten there so I have no experience, I'm just curious)

We didn’t really care for the appetizers at Storybook Forest but the Prine Rib and the desserts were pretty good.

What I find funny is that so many people complain about BOG yet it is still one of the hardest reservations to get...why is that? (I've never eaten there so I have no experience, I'm just curious)

My guess is because the setting is gorgeous - the ballroom looks exactly like it does in the animated movie. Then there's a photo op with "Beast", and the West Wing bedroom setting is cool. Judging by the number of little girls in Belle dresses I saw in MK, my guess is there are a lot of families booking BOG because their daughters are huge fans of the movie.

I wouldn't eat there again except maybe for lunch, though. $60 (really more like $75 after tax and gratuity) gets you more food in other restaurants.

I agree it's about the setting. Other than Victoria and Albert's, I think BOG is the only restaurant that you can't actually get into unless you are eating there. It is worth having a meal at BOG just to get in and see the place. We've been there once and I'm very glad we did but I would never do it again. It just isn't worth it.

We only did QS our 1st trip and there were 2 that get so much praise that I didn't get it. Flame Tree BBQ was nothing special, not horrible, but not worth the hype at all.

The 2nd, Pecos Bill, was terrible I thought. Felt like Taco Bell quality (if not worse) at Chipotle prices.

Doing more TS this time and based on the response I may have to re think my Via Napoli reservations!

We only did QS our 1st trip and there were 2 that get so much praise that I didn't get it. Flame Tree BBQ was nothing special, not horrible, but not worth the hype at all.

The 2nd, Pecos Bill, was terrible I thought. Felt like Taco Bell quality (if not worse) at Chipotle prices.

Doing more TS this time and based on the response I may have to re think my Via Napoli reservations!

I have been saying that about Flame Tree BBQ for years. I think the food is nasty and I ate there once and that was enough for me.

Yachtsman Steakhouse in early 2018, no doubt about it. I remember leaving a detailed Trip Advisor review and had a bunch of die-hard Disney fans harass me like crazy on there. :rotfl2: We were on the Deluxe plan that trip so pretty much hit up all the signature places and we so disappointed with everything but the desserts.

It wasn't a *huge* letdown but I was expecting more from my BOG dinner. The filet mignon I had was delicious but it only came with a small dollop of mashed potatoes and four or five long string beans. I couldn't eat much of the bread because the crust was very hard, and the butter wasn't softened so it was hard to spread. I did love the lobster bisque appetizer but it wasn't very filling. The desserts were cute but an awful lot of sugar, I couldn't finish all three items.

You definitely go for the ambience, not the food. Agree that I wouldn't go back for another $60+ dinner. Did it once, don't need to do it again.

Mickeys BBQ... never doing that one again... dried out food, lots of noise and lots of bugs.. Disney does a good job making this one sound good but it's awful!
Yeah, no one is doing that one again. It shut down at end of last year.

I loved Yak&Yeti and Teppan Edo when I was there almost 4 years ago. I made a point of getting reservations when we went this week. Kinda disappointed in both. Nothing gross or bad, just not impressed. Oh well time to venture to other restaurants.:P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts