Canadian Amazon Visa card

Interesting thread as I was just comparing a cruise with the US price and the CAD price (as Royal lets you book in CAD) and it works out better to book in USD...but then you have to add the credit card 2.5% exchange charge.

Anyone use the TD US Visa card? It says it eliminates the foreign exchange rates.

Well, the BMO one has no FX exchange rates either, but that's because the transactions are done in USD in the US and then you pay with USD after the fact. So you're either paying the FX when you get your funds converted to pay off your card or you have another source of USD that works for you.

Thanks Figment. The TD one is probably similar. I haven't looked into it but am guessing you need to pay it off in US funds.

Anyone use the TD US Visa card? It says it eliminates the foreign exchange rates.
I've had this card for a few years. As PPs have mentioned, you still need to either purchase US $ to pay the balance or have a source of US $ income. I have mine linked to the TD US $ account plus have a Tangerine (formerly ING) US $ account. I usually purchase US $ via Tangerine because I find the rate slightly better than TD's. Also an annual fee on the TD US $ card. As a number of PPs have said, the banks get you one way or the other. The Amazon card was wonderful for its simplicity and was one of the best cards available to Cdns. Shame it is going.

To chime in on the HomeTrust Visa, it's worth keeping in mind that Costco US uses Visa-exclusively. So if you're shopping there often, maybe the Rogers/Fido cards may not be the best choice.

To chime in on the HomeTrust Visa, it's worth keeping in mind that Costco US uses Visa-exclusively. So if you're shopping there often, maybe the Rogers/Fido cards may not be the best choice.
Hmm, didn't realize that they switched to accepting only Visa last year, I guess when Citi picked them up. That's a pain. But then again, I almost never shop at Costco in the US - sizes are generally too large to use during a one week visit. I'm usually buying everything in limited sizes.

Hmm, didn't realize that they switched to accepting only Visa last year, I guess when Citi picked them up. That's a pain. But then again, I almost never shop at Costco in the US - sizes are generally too large to use during a one week visit. I'm usually buying everything in limited sizes.

I'm not a Costco US shopper either - definitely not often enough for it to be a factor for me. But I could see this being a bigger deal for someone who lives relatively near a US Costco and does cross-border grocery runs.

I was also sad to hear that the Amazon Credit Card is being cancelled.

I managed to get one more purchase with it for my hotel stay in San Diego.

I will be keeping an eye out for a replacement card that doesn't charge a foreign exchange fee.

I applied for my Rogers card on Jan 17, received notification of approval on Jan 18, and have received the cards in the mail today.

I registered the card online and found an option to AUTOMATICALLY apply the "cash-back" credits when they reach $20 for purchases. That option can be set up to apply to the "next" purchase only, or to all future purchases. It can also be set on the primary card and/or the secondary card. It gives the cardholder some control as to how the cash-back credits apply. I don't know if this is a new feature or just a hidden feature of the card. I will see what happens when I reach the $20 point.

Unfortunately this is still only for "anything Rogers". It does not apply to say, your next transaction at Home Depot.

EDIT --> Sorry, read later in the thread that you clarified your statement with the same information.

I think there is a common thread that you have to do what works best for you and invest the time in that solution. I spend a lot of time on greedyrates.ca and check back there frequently for updates. Here is what I do for my credit cards that works for me.
  • For day to day purchases in Canada I use the MBNA World Elite MasterCard. It has an $89 fee but it has the highest percentage return (2%) on all purchases (gas, groceries, everything) you make with the card. I only use it in Canada as it has the 2.5% forex fee. Everyone's spending habits are different, but for this year's Disney trip I was able to pay for the park tickets (~$2700) and my first delivery of groceries from GardenGrocer (~$400). It is very easy to redeem the points and get cash back.
  • For USD purchases, I use the Rogers MasterCard for all the "pros" previously stated. I have a calendar entry that reminds me every November to ask for the cash back rewards. A hassle? Yes, but again, it works for me. This year with just my previous years USD purchases I had $880 credit on the card prior to our January Disney trip.
  • For flights, my wife and I each have our own separate WestJet RBC Mastercard accounts. We are a family of 5 and for our yearly trip, we each get a free companion flight. This more than covers the $99 we each pay in credit card fees for these cards.
So we carry 4 separate credit card accounts, but with this we save a lot of money based on our current spending habits and our current travel habits. If we stop going to Disney yearly, then the above could certainly change.

A bit of follow-up to the discussion in this thread about the Rogers Platinum Mastercard and how they do cash-back rewards.

I am a Rogers customer for internet and phone. I have pre-authorized my Rogers bill to my Rogers Credit Card. I have been able to set up my rewards so that they automatically apply after it reaches $20.

2 days ago my Rogers bill was charged to my card. The full amount of the Rogers bill was charged to the card, and then a separate credit for the "cash-back" amount was credited to the credit card automatically. I did not have to wait until November or December to get the cash-back, it is automatically being credited after I reach the $20 threshold and my monthly Rogers invoice is charged to the card.

A bit of follow-up to the discussion in this thread about the Rogers Platinum Mastercard and how they do cash-back rewards.

I am a Rogers customer for internet and phone. I have pre-authorized my Rogers bill to my Rogers Credit Card. I have been able to set up my rewards so that they automatically apply after it reaches $20.

2 days ago my Rogers bill was charged to my card. The full amount of the Rogers bill was charged to the card, and then a separate credit for the "cash-back" amount was credited to the credit card automatically. I did not have to wait until November or December to get the cash-back, it is automatically being credited after I reach the $20 threshold and my monthly Rogers invoice is charged to the card.
The Fido card is the same.

I think the annual thing is if you want to apply your cashback credit to you bill in general, not just to what you've bought from the company. Not sure, though.

I applied for the HomeTrust Visa on January 18 and just TODAY got an email notifying me that my application was "received" (no kidding, I submitted it online), and that I will receive a response in the next 3-4 weeks. So total 5-6 weeks estimated processing time, plus however long it takes to actually receive the card. I guess they're getting a lot of applications?

I also had my husband apply for the Fido card; he submitted the application on January 24 and was notified of approval on January 26. We don't have the cards yet, but they should come by the end of next week.

So if anyone is in a hurry, Rogers is definitely the way to go!

Small update: I got a PIN code in the mail from HomeTrust on Thursday, which I guess means I was approved. No card yet though. It's been about a month since I applied.

So, funny story. I applied for the HomeTrust Visa way back on Jan 16th and never heard anything, not even an email letting me know that my application was received.

Today I got this email:

Dear Susan,

Are you using your Preferred Visa card to its fullest potential? Did you know you could be earning unlimited 1% CashBack on every dollar charged to your Home Trust Preferred Visa for everyday purchases and pre-authorized bill payments?

Earn more CashBack rewards with pre-authorized payments

Add to the unlimited CashBack you can earn by using your Preferred Visa card for pre-authorized payments such as TV, home phone, mobile and internet bills. To set up recurring payments, simply contact your service provider and provide them with your Home Trust Visa card number and expiry date. Then you’ll be maximizing the unlimited 1% CashBack you can earn on all of your everyday purchases and pre-authorized bill payments.

The Home Trust Preferred Visa – the no-fee card with lots to offer.

I wonder if this means I was approved?

So, funny story. I applied for the HomeTrust Visa way back on Jan 16th and never heard anything, not even an email letting me know that my application was received.

Today I got this email:

I wonder if this means I was approved?

Similar experience. About 2 weeks after applying, I received an email indicating that my application was received and it would be another several weeks for the approval. About 2 weeks later, I received the PIN in the mail. That was a couple of days ago. I am still waiting on the card, and I received the same email you did today.

Similar experience. About 2 weeks after applying, I received an email indicating that my application was received and it would be another several weeks for the approval. About 2 weeks later, I received the PIN in the mail. That was a couple of days ago. I am still waiting on the card, and I received the same email you did today.

You're 2 steps ahead of me, I never got the email about my application and I have not received the PIN mail. We head to Mexico in exactly 3 weeks and I was really hoping to have the card by then! :(

Wow, that's slow. We've had our new Rogers cards for several weeks now. Our first billing cycle has closed, first bonus $'s granted and applied to our Rogers bills (I'm glad I kept two accounts with Rogers now that we have two separate cards).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!