Canadian and American relations...

and i didn't even get to page 2. I'm glad to see some of the other Diser with the same hot feelings about this, (namely SandraC & Madonna31) as I have.

So anyone know where I can get a " We Support Our Neighbours to the South" bumper sticker before we leave next Friday?

Gotta voice a little disagreement with some of you... but I won't type it all out again as it's a fairly long post over on CJKs other board.

Nagle,

I've got an extra "I stand with President George W. Bush" bumper sticker if you'd like it. Let me know.

Nagle,
Please be sure to let us know how you were treated on your trip. I think things will be okay in Disney World, but I'm a little concerned about the drive down (just can't hide those Ontario licence plates;) ) I hope this anti-Canadian sentiment we've been hearing about is just another example of the media blowing things out of proportion. Have a great trip.

I think you will be fine, I think the Canadian media is blowing this way out of purportion. I lived in the US for 10 years, my dh is an American and so are my children. We still have many friends and family living there. Two are Ex US marines when I have discussed our governments postition they don't understand but also don't blame the citizens. I think most American feel the same way. I don't think it is as much on their mind as it is on ours, they are more concerned with their sons and daughters in Iraq.

Last weekend the CBS news channel was interviewing a former US ambassador to Canada asking what the American reaction to all the protest (both for and against the US) rallies in Canada was and he said they aren't even being seen in the USA. There coverage is so focused on the war I don't think many even realize our position.

Personally I would be more worried about the reaction to the SARS outbreak as that is what is being reported on US news.

Allison

abbyndrewmom - good post.
We are Canadian's living in Atlanta and haven't witnessed or heard any anti-Canadian sentiment down here.
I also think the CAD media is blowing it out of proportion.
Last week on our local radio talk show they mentioned the incident in Montreal, but a few days later they made positive remarks about what happened in Toronto. That was it!
American's are really focused on the war and their troops/family/loved ones in Iraq. Prior to the war, it was very much anti-French that we heard about down here. I can assure you, Canada is still their friendly neighbours to the North! I wear my Roots hats/shirts with no worries!
About SARS - They are definately talking about it but not as much coverage about Canada and SARS as I would have expected. We were shocked to hear about the situation in Toronto (this info came from family - not the news)
Bottom line - There may be isolated incidents that may or may not have to do with the fact you are Canadian. Things can happen anytime, anywhere. I'm not worried living here - so my advise is to come on down and have a great vacation!!

We plan to have a great vacation!! You know if you worried about everything you would kill yourself with worry. In our local paper on Saturday there was a news article where US students studying abroad were told to tell people they were Canadian if they were asked. Not to worry guys-we are still the peacekeepers and we are loved.

Yes it is HockeyDadof2. :( A sad example of some very ugly, classless behavior. Also I believe, not indicative of the majority of Canadians, but a small vocal group, the very kind the media likes to focus on. I'm sorry that you (and those involved), have been hurt by this.

This particular incident, and others, have been discussed, dissected, and sometimes deleted, from the Community Board for the last couple of days.

We are trying very hard to move pass the hurt feelings many of us have experienced during these very emotional and trying days. I hope you will be able to also. :)

Certainly, it really hits home for us because a have an 11 year old son who plays travel hockey and has enjoyed one tournament in Canada, and others in the Nothern US. It cost a fortune for kids down here in Texas for kids to travel to those tournaments and they have always been fun for our family.

Just as the keying of cars and the puncturing of tires of Canadian cars are done by an ignorant few, I KNOW that most Canadians regardless of how they feel about the war wouldn't act like that. As well, likely most of those involved in that fiasco probably wouldn't have acted like that if it weren't for a crowd mentality taking over. It's just that much sadder to me since it involved children, and I hope the referee is suspended. He certainly should know better.

As a long time CB supporter, I must tell you that we are all trying to move past the ugliness and heated discussions that have occurred there over the last few days. It is NOT indicative of what is going on in real life, not here nor anywhere else in the US that I'm aware of.

There are pockets of anti French/anti German sentiment around, but again, I've not seen any overt action or words publically spoken against either country. I believe the media is having a field day at ALL of our expenses....and promoting anti-SOMEBODY news whenever there is a story to be found.

People say and do ugly things during times of stress. I believe these people are largely in the minority based on what I have witnessed.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Hockeydadof2-that really is a disgusting example!

As mentioned earlier-this is hopefully only a few ill-mannered individuals. The media of course does not mention any of the nice things.

Originally posted by mom_rules
Hockeydadof2-that really is a disgusting example!

As mentioned earlier-this is hopefully only a few ill-mannered individuals. The media of course does not mention any of the nice things.

Of course not, sadly that wouldn't sell as many papers or keep people tuned in. I have no doubt that the instigators are in the minority.

Dear Hockey Dad,

I wish you could here the radio station I am listening to right now, there is a huge Friends of America taking place in downtown Toronto right now. There are 1000's of people there who have come through a brutal freezing rain storm to support the USA. Because I have two small children we decided to not put them in jeopardy and stayed home (we live about 2 hrs away from Toronto.) I am sorry for the treatment that some of Americain has received when visisting Canada, I think part of it had to do with the part of the Counrty they were visisting, but we won't get into that right now. I hope that most Canadians will continue to remeber the support that we have both recieved and given to the US and the current situation will pass.

Allison, proud to be married to an Americain and have two Americain children.

Hi all, I don't know if I am posting this in the right place, but in light of all that I am reading (perhaps too much!) I am starting to get nervous on out upcoming Montreal Trip. Your honest opinions are appreciated. I was really looking forward to our trip for Easter, but since we are traveling with our 3 small kids, I am wondering if this is a trip we should postpone. Again, I am sorrey if I posted in the wrong place.

Laura

MOMTOMOOTOO, I don't think you'll experience any problems while you're in Montreal. It's easy to generalize about the "typical Canadian" or the "typical American" but the main idea to remember is that we're neighbours and we get along well despite our differences. I think you'll find Montreal to be a fantastic city, if a little less laid-back than Vancouver :) Don't postpone your trip. Canada is an awesome place and the more you get to visit, the better!!

If you're concerned at all about the border crossing, don't be. I have never had a longer wait to come back into Canada as compared to going to the States. And since you are American, you won't have to worry about that part.

I visit the States all the time and have never been treated poorly. My American cousins visit me all the time and have also never experienced poor treatment. Come up and visit, and have a great time. I wish I could be in Montreal!

Hockeydad, were you by any chance in a hockey tournament in Toronto this fall? DS played a team from Texas in a Toronto Royals tournament.

Momtomootoo. Rivalry goes on between Canadian and American hockey teams all the time in both Canadian and American tournaments. We've heard it all at the many tournaments we have attended. Unforturnately, from what I have read, the American bus drove through an anti-war protest and were subjected to some disgusting behavior. As long as you don't wear your stars and stripes sweater while you walk through a protest, I think you will have a great time.

We're going to Orlando in a couple of weeks and although I have heard of a lot of anti-Canadian actions, there is no way that I am going to let anything ruin my vacationl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter