Canadian DVC Members - 198 - List on Page 1

Canadian Harmony

DIS Veteran
Joined
Jan 23, 2015
I asked this over in the DVC forum but as I'm Canadian, things are slightly different.

I really want DH to check it out when we're there in March. I'm considering waiting til our travel trailer is paid out (2 years or so) and then buying at the new Disneyland DVC when it opens as we're west coasters.

A friend is a DVC owner and she suggested I get 100points direct to get the perks (because I am an AP holder for the discounts mostly), then buy any more I'd want at resale. I checked out Aulani, and could get another 72 for a reasonable rate, however the two together is as much as a new car!

Do we need to get financing through an American bank, or can we get a loan through a Canadian institution?

Details would be welcome.
 
  • SMC23

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Jan 21, 2020
    Just found our forum. Please add me to the Canuck list. Happy DVC owner since 2018.

    100pt CCV direct and we’re now hooked. Thinking of adding more points direct shortly.
     

    gskywalker

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Jul 11, 2012
    I asked this over in the DVC forum but as I'm Canadian, things are slightly different.

    I really want DH to check it out when we're there in March. I'm considering waiting til our travel trailer is paid out (2 years or so) and then buying at the new Disneyland DVC when it opens as we're west coasters.

    A friend is a DVC owner and she suggested I get 100points direct to get the perks (because I am an AP holder for the discounts mostly), then buy any more I'd want at resale. I checked out Aulani, and could get another 72 for a reasonable rate, however the two together is as much as a new car!

    Do we need to get financing through an American bank, or can we get a loan through a Canadian institution?

    Details would be welcome.
    I can't help on the financing. I assume that anyone who wants financing from the States would use the rate financing they have at disney which is quite high, something around 10% or higher. At home I would think it would be something like a HELOC(home equity line of credit) or a regular LOC. If there is another option with a good mortgage rate I am definitely interested when we add to our current contract.

    We bought a 75 point contract at OKW in Sept mainly for the Annual Pass Benefits. It cost us 16k CDN and we saved 4k CDN on this years annual passes alone(7 annual passes). I want to buy more on resale but will likely wait until the dollar improves.
     


  • FinnFogg

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    May 2, 2014
    Glad to have stumbled into this post. Add us to the list! We bought our first contract (OKW) 5 years ago and have bought three more (all at Aulani) since then.
     

    nicmc1986

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Nov 18, 2019
    In the process of purchasing a resale contract (130 points at SSR). It's currently in the ROFR stage with Disney. Can't wait until everything is finalized. I'll probably end up buying 100 points direct at some point in time.
     

    nicmc1986

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Nov 18, 2019
    I asked this over in the DVC forum but as I'm Canadian, things are slightly different.

    I really want DH to check it out when we're there in March. I'm considering waiting til our travel trailer is paid out (2 years or so) and then buying at the new Disneyland DVC when it opens as we're west coasters.

    A friend is a DVC owner and she suggested I get 100points direct to get the perks (because I am an AP holder for the discounts mostly), then buy any more I'd want at resale. I checked out Aulani, and could get another 72 for a reasonable rate, however the two together is as much as a new car!

    Do we need to get financing through an American bank, or can we get a loan through a Canadian institution?

    Details would be welcome.
    You can finance through a Canadian company. I currently have a Line of Credit that I've opened to pay for my DVC once it passes ROFR. If you are buying resale, contact the title company to see how they want the money sent to them. My intent with the LOC is to pay it off in a year and not hold too much interest on the property.
     

    MichelleTO

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Oct 13, 1999
    Add us to the list - purchased Poly December use year last fall, just in time to get the 75 point limit for the perks. Then were able to book a Poly Studio for a Nov 2020 trip - and now this. We had planned to get APs as we were then going to do a big family trip for the 50th in Oct 2021. But now everything is in question - first will they open the border? and will be able to book the parks we want? Our grand plan was to enjoy food and wine hopping between parks and then enjoy the Christmas decorations - given we would have APs. Now we are considering renting out that reservation if the booking of park days becomes a challenge. Right now I wouldn't even consider going to the US given the number of infections - not that we really can. I honestly don't see how they can turn around the infection rate by this fall without a vaccine - which I don't think is likely. Sadly the answer is simple, social distance, wear a mask, wash your hands. That is how countries are managing to control this.I do hope the US has a turn for the better.
     
  • NappilyEverAfter.

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Jun 28, 2020
    Anyone actually planning a trip from Canada before Christmas? I have flights and an expiring points reservation for late October. i am working from home so can do the 14 days quarantine. Only the land boarder is closed and flight is super cheap. I dont foresee any other issues apart from health insurance or future park closure. Any input.
     

    hcortesis

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Aug 7, 2003
    Anyone actually planning a trip from Canada before Christmas? I have flights and an expiring points reservation for late October. i am working from home so can do the 14 days quarantine. Only the land boarder is closed and flight is super cheap. I dont foresee any other issues apart from health insurance or future park closure. Any input.
    I just cancelled our October 2 bedroom BCV res. yesterday. Although I think we would have been ok to have gone, we have upcoming trips in Jan, Feb. and March so we decided to concentrate on those. From what I have been reading, Disney seems like they are doing quite a bit to insure their guests are as safe as possible. Also hoping for a vaccine by early winter.
     

    FinnFogg

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    May 2, 2014
    Add me to the list. OKW (resale) owner since 2015 Have since added on another 3 resale contracts at Aulani.
     





    Connect

    Disney News and Updates





    SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.






    Top