Canadians can get the Disney Visa!

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
So, just for fun I decided to apply for the Disney Chase Visa online. I skimmed the rules & regulations and didn't see any residency requirement. We have a US mailing address, so using that, the application went through online! Anyways, afterwards, it brought up another US rules and regulations page and I saw there in the very bottom row, "Must have a permanent US address." So, I figured it was probably going to be a bust, and I called Chase just to tell them to cancel the application. However, the representative I talked to actually told me that yes, Canadians can apply without problem as long as they have a checking account and a US mailing address. So... you may want to try to apply!

Oh, that's excellent! My parents own a house in FL, so I was thinking of opening up a checking account down there using their address when I visit them in March. This seals the deal!

Does it have to be a US checking account? My parents also own a condo in FL so we have a US mailing address. Please update us when you get your approval!

ugg, have the US accounts but no mailing address. not sure if its worth the hassle

Me too. Particularly if they would actually mail me stuff at that address, which I would then have to collect (or have forwarded at exorbitant rates).

Nice to know though!

I was wondering about this as well. Is there a way of getting around that?
You can get an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) from the IRS. Both Chase and Amex allow credit card applications with ITINs if you don't have a SSN. That said, the issue comes down to: you likely have no credit history in the U.S., so chances of getting approved for a card are slim. If you have a Canadian Amex card (as well as a U.S. address and bank account), Amex will approve you for a U.S. Amex card based on your Canadian credit history. You can then build your credit history in the U.S., and be more likely to get accepted for other U.S. cards in the future.

You can get an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) from the IRS. Both Chase and Amex allow credit card applications with ITINs if you don't have a SSN. That said, the issue comes down to: you likely have no credit history in the U.S., so chances of getting approved for a card are slim. If you have a Canadian Amex card (as well as a U.S. address and bank account), Amex will approve you for a U.S. Amex card based on your Canadian credit history. You can then build your credit history in the U.S., and be more likely to get accepted for other U.S. cards in the future.

That's helpful. Thanks. I have a U.S.-based bank account along with a credit/debit card from them, as well as a U.S. postal address bills are sent to so hopefully this could work out for me.

Where do you have a checking account ?

Mine are at BMO Harris and TD Bank (US division, as opposed to TD Canada Trust).

Don't ask why I have two. Long story. Suffice it to say that I've found reasons to keep both for the time being. Both have reasonably friendly policies regarding Canadian customers, and allow for account setup without an SSN/ITIN or physical presence at a branch.

You can get an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) from the IRS.

You can, but I would think twice about putting myself on the IRS's radar without very good cause. For me, a credit card doesn't qualify. Good general information on obtaining US credit cards for those who are very interested though!

You can, but I would think twice about putting myself on the IRS's radar without very good cause. For me, a credit card doesn't qualify. Good general information on obtaining US credit cards for those who are very interested though!

Yeah, the more I thought about it, the more I started thinking the same thing. As much as I wouldn't mind a Disney Visa card, I'm fine with sticking with Harris Bank.

How did you apply for your BMO Harris bank account? Can you transfer money online from your Canadian BMO account and the BMO Harris US back account easily?

How did you apply for your BMO Harris bank account? Can you transfer money online from your Canadian BMO account and the BMO Harris US back account easily?

It's been a while since I applied but in checking out their website now, it looks like a very simple process. Have a look at the BMO Harris Personal Checking Account section at: https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/bank-accounts/cross-border-banking#. You can info and at least begin the process of applying for an account online and they have options for Canadian residents and citizens. Being a bank, you'll have to send them a copy of some personal ID to set things up. Unfortunately I don't remember what it was for me (again, years ago...).

Their BMO Harris Smart Advantage checking account has no monthly fee if you opt for electronic statements, and they'll send you both a BMO Mastercard debit card and a starter kit with some cheques for your U.S.-based bank account.

BMO Harris branches are mostly found around Chicago (super handy if you're flying to or connecting through O'Hare) but there are a few ATMs, if not branches, in Florida as well I believe. Also, they're part of some ATM alliance that gives you free withdrawals in 40,000 ATMs all over the place so it should be pretty easy to get at your funds.

Seems you can transfer US$ from a Canadian BMO US$ account to a BMO Harris account but not the other way around. There are other ways to fund the account however.

Finally, if you have a U.S. mailing address, you're golden. If you don't have a U.S. mailing address, you might run into some problems buying stuff online from U.S. sites since even though you'd have a U.S. account, the checkout process on some sites requires a U.S. address. Sometimes you can shoehorn a Canadian address in there, sometimes not.

Huh. The Harris Bank Cross-Border Banking FAQ is the first bank site I've seen that officially discusses the "use the three digits of your postal code followed by two zeros" trick for U.S. gas station pumps asking for your zip code before it lets you make a purchase.

It's been a while since I applied but in checking out their website now, it looks like a very simple process. Have a look at the BMO Harris Personal Checking Account section at: https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/bank-accounts/cross-border-banking#. You can info and at least begin the process of applying for an account online and they have options for Canadian residents and citizens. Being a bank, you'll have to send them a copy of some personal ID to set things up. Unfortunately I don't remember what it was for me (again, years ago...).

Their BMO Harris Smart Advantage checking account has no monthly fee if you opt for electronic statements, and they'll send you both a BMO Mastercard debit card and a starter kit with some cheques for your U.S.-based bank account.

BMO Harris branches are mostly found around Chicago (super handy if you're flying to or connecting through O'Hare) but there are a few ATMs, if not branches, in Florida as well I believe. Also, they're part of some ATM alliance that gives you free withdrawals in 40,000 ATMs all over the place so it should be pretty easy to get at your funds.

Seems you can transfer US$ from a Canadian BMO US$ account to a BMO Harris account but not the other way around. There are other ways to fund the account however.

Finally, if you have a U.S. mailing address, you're golden. If you don't have a U.S. mailing address, you might run into some problems buying stuff online from U.S. sites since even though you'd have a U.S. account, the checkout process on some sites requires a U.S. address. Sometimes you can shoehorn a Canadian address in there, sometimes not.

Thank you for the detailed post! I do have a US mailing address (my parents' condo in FL) and I remember seeing a BMO Harris branch around Oviedo (suburb of Orlando) when visiting my friend there.

I'm in search of a Travel Credit Card, so i'm curious as to what are the advantages of having the Disney Visa?

I have had my Disney Visa for years. I went to University in US and I have a SSN. Now I use my mailbox as my mailing address. I love my Disney Visa, I use it when I order stuffs on line from the US and when I go down to WDW. Oh we live in Niagara Falls area so wr cross the border often.

So, just for fun I decided to apply for the Disney Chase Visa online. I skimmed the rules & regulations and didn't see any residency requirement. We have a US mailing address, so using that, the application went through online! Anyways, afterwards, it brought up another US rules and regulations page and I saw there in the very bottom row, "Must have a permanent US address." So, I figured it was probably going to be a bust, and I called Chase just to tell them to cancel the application. However, the representative I talked to actually told me that yes, Canadians can apply without problem as long as they have a checking account and a US mailing address. So... you may want to try to apply!
Any update on this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter