Cancellation before points expire

MinBz

Mouseketeer
I just bought Direct and was given 2018 points that I was not expecting (which is nice)... I have an October Use Year and they banked these 2018 points for me. I have to use these banked points before the end of September 2020. We usually go to Orlando in October or December which is why I picked the October use year. If i move my 2020 trip up to the last week of September is that too risky? If a hurricane or emergency happens that causes me to cancel, am I understanding correctly that the points are lost?

Your 2018 banked points can be used between October 1, 2019 and September 30, 2020. If you want to use the points yourself, you can indeed book a late September 2020 trip. Historically, DVC has waived holding when a hurricane warning is present, and allowed the points to be banked. However, since you're starting with banked points, they may not allow you to bank them again.

When my wife and I purchased a resale contract with points we would not be able to use, we rented them out and paid our dues with the income.

When my wife and I purchased a resale contract with points we would not be able to use, we rented them out and paid our dues with the income.

Traveling at the end of your UY can be very risky in general. I like the rental idea.

In this case the points will be lost anyway if not used by the end of Sept 2020. If you want to use them but are not going prior to then it's the option you have and I wouldn't worry about to much. If you were concerned you could always get insurance to cover the trip. Or as mentioned you could choose to not use them if that trip timing doesn't work for you and rent them out and plan on using banked 2019 points for an Oct or Dec 2020 trip.

I believe you also have the option to deposit to RCI for use within 2 years. I’ve never done it or used RCI so I know very little about how it works.

Thank you for all the tips. I need to try to figure out if another trip before September is possible. Going this October And again in December but had those trips already set before I bought DVC.

Thank you for all the tips. I need to try to figure out if another trip before September is possible. Going this October And again in December but had those trips already set before I bought DVC.

As a direct buyer, you can get some help with a welcome home reservation. They will work with you to set up your first trip and can sometimes get you a room from other inventory they own. You say you have a Dec trip booked. Is this with other DVC points? Or cash? Maybe you could see if your guide can help get you a DVC room with those banked points? Not sure where you are staying or particulars but want3d to mention it was something Disney does for first time owners who buy direct.

I wouldn't plan a trip around hurricane season. You can't predict anything, so just plan it and go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!