Cancelled, not postponed

catali150

Earning My Ears
Well I cancelled what was to be our first Disney cruise scheduled for March 2021. We have no plans to reschedule.
This was primarily a financial decision.
Also, I don’t know that it makes sense to think about a Disney Cruise in 2022 or beyond as my daughter will be 10+ by then. I am guessing the magic will wear off as she grows older.
Ah well. It is what it is. I just wanted to share with a group that could commiserate.
Wishing you all safe and magical journeys.

Well I cancelled what was to be our first Disney cruise scheduled for March 2021. We have no plans to reschedule.
Also, I don’t know that it makes sense to think about a Disney Cruise in 2022 or beyond as my daughter will be 10+ by then. I am guessing the magic will wear off as she grows older.
Ah well. It is what it is. I just wanted to share with a group that could commiserate.

The Magic has not worn off for my kids. My son is 17 and loves the teen group. Disney does an amazing job with the teens.

It’s a bummer for sure. We were supposed to be on the first Fantasy cruise that ended up being cancelled in March. We had our bags packed and ready to go to the airport in 8 hours when Disney made the announcement. Our daughter was 10, and she was so sad over it. It was going to be our 3rd Disney Cruise. We rebooked for Thanksgiving, but will likely cancel. There is too much uncertainty for us what cruising will look like once things resume, and for us a diminished experience isn’t worth it. I will tell you though that the magic doesn’t go away when they get older. Yes, they may not care about the characters as much, but our DCL vacations have been our favorite. DD was very much looking forward to going to the edge for 11-14 year olds. We have been seated with awesome families at dinner and have made amazing friends. Without a doubt, if/when cruising returns back to what it was we won’t hesitate to go with our older daughter on another cruise, so don’t rule it out 😀.

Well I cancelled what was to be our first Disney cruise scheduled for March 2021. We have no plans to reschedule. This was primarily a financial decision. Also, I don’t know that it makes sense to think about a Disney Cruise in 2022 or beyond as my daughter will be 10+ by then. I am guessing the magic will wear off as she grows older. Ah well. It is what it is. I just wanted to share with a group that could commiserate. Wishing you all safe and magical journeys.
Agree, this is a bummer but family and financial needs should always come first. The magic is still alive and well with us.

Sorry to hear this, but I do get it. We all have to do what is best, as much as it may be a bummer.

Not trying to change your mind or anything but I have to agree with Chernabog#1fan. My DS's are now 23 and 20 and have sailed since they were 3 1/2, and 8 months. They would probably say their favorite years on board were the "Vibe" years, ;)

Agree that financial decisions have to take precedence over other matters (except health!) at this point. We had to cancel a trip to DL Paris and Italy for this summer that we spent well over a year planning with family and friends. We have not yet rescheduled but hopeful we can.

My daughter is 11 and we just went on our third Disney cruise at Tgiving (she was 10 at time of cruise). She still loves it. She is looking forward to our next one when she can "level up" to Edge. I would not write off 2022 yet and just keep it in the back of your mind as a possibility.

We also canceled our January one. But I agree with others, the magic did not wear off. My 13 and 10-year-old still love Disney cruising even though they don’t use the kids clubs anymore. (My 13-year-old thought the teen club was awful, bunch of kids in a room playing video games which she hates.)

I also have a tween who still loves cruising. My dd went on her first cruise when she was 6 yrs old. She loved seeing all the characters, at around 10 yrs old she would still go see some characters, but it wasn't a must do like when she was younger. On our first cruise, I felt like I spent the entire cruise standing in line to see characters(that was my fault because I was determined to go to them all and didn't take time to do all the other stuff). There are so many other activities that she likes to do now that she didn't care about when she was younger. We play shuffleboard, go to the character drawing classes, and all the different family games. She loves watching the baby races, sounds odd, but always so much fun. We also have a cruise booked for March 2021. I hope we are able to go, but as time goes on I'm not so sure cruises will be happening by then. Sorry you had to cancel your first cruise.

My daughter was 16 when we finished our 2nd Disney Cruise and she cried as we left.
She is now 32, the mother of two, who also love DCL and can't wait to sail again. Ages 11 & 10

Has the magic worn off for you? It's your cruise, also. We didn't start cruising until we were adults and started on DCL. DCL is our favorite cruise line (although they could use some new itineraries when they come back).

The magic never grows old! Our very first trip to Disney World was on our honeymoon. I was 25 and my wife was 19. Our first ever cruise was for our 25th anniversary on the Fantasy. Our grand slam DCL cruise is coming up February 2021 (keeping our fingers crossed!) for our 30th anniversary. We have anticipated every one!

I wouldn't worry about her her age, especially since it will be her first cruise. I think she'll love it even if she's 10+. However, I do think the younger, the better. My kids are starting to lose their interest in DCL as they get older.

Last edited:
I will NEVER lose the magic. Love every trip to Disney World, Disneyland and on DCL and can’t wait for the next one....kids or no kids. I’ll have to feel good about going though so for me it may be a while.

I’m with PrincessSchmoo though.....please add some new itineraries or just go to Castaway Cay daily!!!

I totally understand what you are saying about thinking the magic might be wearing off given your daughter is 10. I have been thinking the same about my DD who just turned 11 - but interestingly enough, and without solicitation- she asked me just yesterday if we could please go on another Disney cruise. I was so happy to hear that! We have taken her on three Disney cruises and she loved each and every one. DS -now 6 has only been on one and he would love to go as well. Both remember castaway cay being their absolute favorite stop! I would not write it off !!

Sorry to hear that, but for the record my kids are 19 and 20 and the Magic hasn’t come close to wearing off. We were supposed to board the Fantasy yesterday and we’ve all been moping around for the last 2 days. Hopefully we’ll get our shot next year when they’re 20 and 21.

Jumping in with you are making a sensible decision for the current times but don’t count DCL out for the future. Mine were
2 and 4 months On their first cruise. Fingers crossed next summer will be their 7th sailing.
17 and 19 years old. My oldest is very excited about being old enough for Palo.

I understand how you feel that she might be too old. My daughter first went when she was 11. And I felt she missed the magic found in the early years. Although that magic had gone, I didn’t realize at first the other area that Disney provided. My daughter did not enjoy on her 6th cruises but first RC at age 20. Here is she wanted to go back to Disney on Jan 2021. She wanted entertainment she could enjoy. The shows were TOO Adult but not clean adult shows, too much talk about sex and my father felt they swear too much. They left 2 shows on RC early. RC had no group for 18-20. Also she didn’t have as much to do because she doesn’t like Pools, rock climbing or surfing or ice skating. So she asked if we could go back and now we are shopping for bumper cars, escape rooms, Zipline, flying in the air in some chamber, and a trampoline with a video game.
So don’t count the mouse out yet. Enjoy your time as a family while you still can. Your over halfway to college, and it goes by so quickly. And the moment they can go into the 18+ areas of the ship!!!!! OMG my daughter was so willing to show her ID to every CM that asked. And they would chat her up then and that made her feel accepted as an adult.

Finances always take priority. But I will agree with CamColt and others. My kids also in their early twenties love DCL. When we went to Alaska a few years back, I tried to book Princess. Let's just say there was a mutiny! DCL it was! We loved it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter