• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canon 580EX or Sigma 500DG Super?

pmcf

<font color=FF99CC>NOW the Tag Fairies make sense
Okay, last visit to WDW I just used the built-in flash on my 300D (Rebel) and realised I really need an external flashgun (Off Kilter were decidedly dark!!!)

I would love a genuine Canon gun (580 looks great) but the price is a barrier! Is it worth investing in a Sigma gun (the DG or the Super) or am I better just waiting and saving for a Canon one?

Any tips gratefully received!

I have both. I use the Sigma for daily walkaround use and the Canon for pro-use (sessions that I get paid for).

2 drawbacks of Sigma:

1. Can't do more than 3 burst shots at once (the 4th one is always underexposed)
2. After the burst shots, you'll have to wait about 15 seconds before being able to get maximum power again.

If I don't have to take wedding pictures and/or event as part of my work, I will just stick with the Sigma. Heck, the price of Canon is so high I can buy 2 Sigmas with it.

Kelly Grannell said:
I have both. I use the Sigma for daily walkaround use and the Canon for pro-use (sessions that I get paid for).

2 drawbacks of Sigma:

1. Can't do more than 3 burst shots at once (the 4th one is always underexposed)
2. After the burst shots, you'll have to wait about 15 seconds before being able to get maximum power again.

If I don't have to take wedding pictures and/or event as part of my work, I will just stick with the Sigma. Heck, the price of Canon is so high I can buy 2 Sigmas with it.

Thanks, Kelly - really helpful info. I would love to buy the 580EX, but think I would rather save the extra so I can invest in a replacement body later; I very rarely do rapid successive shots, so the Sigma sounds good! It was really helpful hearing from someone who uses both.

One more vote for the Sigma. I've been using the Sigma at home for more than a year and have been happy with it. I also use the 550 (not 580) at work and it seems like it is a little more rugged but otherwise provides no tangible benefit for my uses. I chose to save the money...

By the way, since you have the 300D (so do I) make sure that you buy the DG Super and not the plain Super. The DG Super allows you to select flash exposure compensation and I'm pretty sure the Super does not. No point in spending money on a flash that doesn't allow you to overcome one of the biggest drawbacks of this body.

Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter