can't find turtle place by paradise cove (edited: now with directions and photos!)

I wanted to thank everyone for this thread. This ended up being one of the big highlights of our trip... maybe the biggest. My husband was really super excited about it as were the kids. We went around 9 am and saw up to three turtles at the same time. I highly recommend going. It was a short walk and an amazing experience. Wish we hadn't waited till almost the last day we would gone again.
turtleweb.jpg

and i hope you'll see these:
View attachment 162605

View attachment 162606

View attachment 162607

View attachment 162608

View attachment 162609

these turtles were truly fearless. they just came right up to us, and i'm not even sure why! it's not like anyone was giving out food or whatever. it almost seemed like they were as curious about us as we were about them. they probably came round 5-6 times during the hour we were there, maybe more. kinda lost count after a while.

my whole family enjoyed the experience, and it was so close, so easy to get to from aulani. please make time for them if you're at aulani. only took about 10 minutes (less if your kids walk fast, lol).
Looks like a secret entrance. Thanks for the great pics!

We went last year but just missed them

We saw our first monk seal this year

She was injured and resting by the water edge on beach

The "marine association" were keeping an eye on her

Beautiful turtle photos

Thanks for all the tips from this thread. We went two days in a row and were able to see turtle both days. We did a quick recon on the 1st day and saw some from the beach. 2nd day we were dressed for the swimming. We also saw one the 2nd day and this particular one is very friendly. If you stand still, it will come swimming pretty close to you. Just follow all the rules posted by the fence and use some common sense and you will be fine.

Quick note though, this is not a zoo so don't expect to see turtle all the time. In fact, we got lucky and saw the last 10 minutes before it swam away. We stayed another hour+ after the 1st encounter and didn't see anymore.

resize_P6110296.JPG

resize_P6110306.JPG

I don't remember the exact model, but it is either Olympus TG-3 or TG-2. I think the current version is either TG-4 or 5.

we got the xp-90 as a work gift and it's very nice. didn't pay for it so can't comment on value but gorgeous colors underwater.
I like the wireless integration, I can get the photos off the camera and post them to facebook poolside.

OH MY!!!! I am so excited to see this thread!! We will be there in June. Are the turtles in this beach all year round or just certain seasons?

there are fewer and fewer turtles there every time I go. The beach is becoming seriously overcrowded and the turtles are finding new places.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/blog/2014/06/06/nr14-068/

I'll repeat what I said above, we need to allow the turtles space to move freely, to enjoy their habitat. Every time I see a turtle, I see people crowd around the turtle. The turtles might seem like they are friendly but you are invading their habitat. If a turtle is coming close enough for it to hit you with his flipper, YOU are too close. That's your clue to get out of the water and give the turtle his space. This isn't a petting zoo, the turtles are not there for your entertainment, they are wild creatures, trying to eat and live. You are in the turtle's way.

Please respect the turtles. It's the law.

Or you could do like me and my husband and go there via the ocean side path.... just, kidding, not recommended. But we did it twice still lol. It starts out promising enough with nice wide rocks to climb.... then not as good lol and you're traversing like goats! But luckily, last time we went, we did see turtles! So cool!
I know exactly what you mean. We traversed the same rock wall before realizing there was a normal path via the road!

Last edited:
My absolute favorite place on the planet is this secret little turtle beach. We are going back in March and I was worried the turtles wouldn't be there because since 2015 I have directed two friends visiting Hawaii to go to this beach and they both said they did not find turtles. So happy to hear they are still there!

Last edited:
My absolute favorite place on the planet is this secret little turtle beach. We are going back in March and I was worried the turtles wouldn't be there because since 2015 I have directed two friends visiting Hawaii to go to this beach and they both said they did not find turtles. So happy to hear they are still there! A video of us discovering them!:

Unfortunately in three tries we saw no turtles, but I'm with you--that little cove may be my favorite place on the planet as well. It's like being in a dream.........*sigh*

My absolute favorite place on the planet is this secret little turtle beach. We are going back in March and I was worried the turtles wouldn't be there because since 2015 I have directed two friends visiting Hawaii to go to this beach and they both said they did not find turtles. So happy to hear they are still there! A video of us discovering them!:

Good luck not getting yourself a ticket or arrested next time. Your behavior in that video could easily result in both. There are quite frequently undercover people on the beach handing out tickets. You think I"m joking, but I'm not. They are protected, and the state takes that VERY seriously. Especially your little remark where "you don't think you see anyone so you think it's ok" It's not ok. They don't even have to see you. Video or photo proof is enough. Just ask these guys: http://khon2.com/2017/11/30/visitors-fined-for-holding-endangered-turtle-on-hawaii-beach/

http://www.hawaiioceanambassadors.com/beach-clean-ups/info-sea-turtles-can-i-touch-or-ride-them

2132508_orig.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!