Can't purchase Disney gift card w/ Target gift card?

Has anyone tried to purchase a Disney GC with a target GC online and adding a cheap item on? For example $100 Disney gift card and erasers for $2 and then using a $100 target GC to pay for it and then paying the difference for the erasers?
Yes, people have tried. No, it won't work.

Its been several years since my last trip and I wasn't entirely sure that we were going to be able to go this year. Now that it's decided I am trying to catch up on things I have missed. No Disney gc with Target gc on the website but has anyone tried using another credit card on the website? My red card discount still applied so I should be able to get 5% off that and stack my cc rewards as well. That is, if it still works that way.

Its been several years since my last trip and I wasn't entirely sure that we were going to be able to go this year. Now that it's decided I am trying to catch up on things I have missed. No Disney gc with Target gc on the website but has anyone tried using another credit card on the website? My red card discount still applied so I should be able to get 5% off that and stack my cc rewards as well. That is, if it still works that way.
This doesn't work anymore. IME, the 5% redcard discount only works now when actually using your redcard. If you use Target GCs, you only get the 5% on the remaining portion of any money still owed. Your best bet is to just use the redcard instore for the 5% off or buy discounted Target GCs with your other cc that gets you more than 5% off. You can use the Target GCs instore to purchase the Disney GCs.

You cannot stack a REDcard discount with another credit card for the rewards. As another poster already wrote, you only get the 5% off the amount actually charged to your REDcard. If you use your REDcard, that is your one form of payment under credit/debit cards and you cannot input another credit card.

I work as a Target cashier/customer service desk and I've never stopped anyone from using a Gift card as a form of payment. The only type of gift card that you can't use it on is one of the pre-paid Mastercard, Visa or American Express cards. The registers just won't allow it. Other than that, I've never stopped anyone from using gift cards to pay for their Disney gift cards.

The reason you can't use a gift card to purchase the other cards is because of the fact that if you return something and you don't have your receipt, you are given a gift card that you use in stores. So, if you turn around and try to purchase a pre-paid MC, Visa or AE, you can take it and use it at any other place. Basically they try to prevent people that would steal from taking the money for returned items and spending it other places.... Not sure if that makes sense or not.

You cannot stack a REDcard discount with another credit card for the rewards. As another poster already wrote, you only get the 5% off the amount actually charged to your REDcard. If you use your REDcard, that is your one form of payment under credit/debit cards and you cannot input another credit card.
That's not true though, I do it all the time. I am speaking of online only, I have my red card registered to my account so no matter what type of payment I am using, I still get the 5% off. I have not however, purchased Disney gc's in quite a while so I wasn't sure if they are still allowing it on gc's. I guess the only way to find out is to try it.

That's not true though, I do it all the time. I am speaking of online only, I have my red card registered to my account so no matter what type of payment I am using, I still get the 5% off. I have not however, purchased Disney gc's in quite a while so I wasn't sure if they are still allowing it on gc's. I guess the only way to find out is to try it.

I'm also referring to Target .com. Try switching your payment method from your saved REDcard that is set to default, to a new/another credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Discover). Doing so removes the 5% discount.

I don't know if you've shopped on Target .com recently, but the site was recently updated to remove the "REDcard set to default gives you 5% off" loophole. Previously, you could still get the 5% off if your REDcard was set as the default payment method, but pay with discounted gift cards, on orders not containing any third-party (e.g. Disney) gift cards. So you could still stack your savings until recently. With the update, if you switch your payment method to a credit card or Target gift card, you won't get the REDcard 5% discount on the amount that goes on the credit card or gift card. You only get 5% off on the amount actually charged on your REDcard.

Edit: clarity

Last edited:
Ok. Let us know how it works for you.

Ok. Let us know how it works for you.

So far so good. I placed an order for diapers and got the discount but used my regular Visa instead of my redcard. I got the 5% off and free shipping benefits I get with my redcard. I am using the app though so maybe that makes the difference.

So far so good. I placed an order for diapers and got the discount but used my regular Visa instead of my redcard. I got the 5% off and free shipping benefits I get with my redcard. I am using the app though so maybe that makes the difference.

Interesting... I haven't tried that way with the app.

But then, I do the reverse of your method. I use a rewards credit card to buy discounted Target gift cards at >5%, have my REDcard saved as my default payment for the free shipping, and pay with the gift cards. I may not be able to stack the REDcard discount anymore, but I'm still getting better than 5% off with gift cards, credit card rewards, and portal rebates.

Weird. I just tried it on the app and could not get it to work. I was hoping things had changed and this was now a possibility, but not for me.

My redcard was the default so the 5% and free shipping automatically showed up. Switched to a non-Target credit card and the discount and free shipping went away. Switched back to the redcard and everything came back. Added in Target gift card for partial payment along with the redcard and the discount was only given on the portion paid with the redcard.

When I need something at Target I've been buying Target gift cards at the grocery store with my Amex blue cash preferred card for 6% in rewards plus fuel points. To be honest I don't buy much at Target anymore. I have enough party supplies, rulers, and kitchen & bath towels on hand to last a long time, from back when we needed to add an eligible item to our orders to get Ebates to pay out.

To be honest I don't buy much at Target anymore. I have enough party supplies, rulers, and kitchen & bath towels on hand to last a long time, from back when we needed to add an eligible item to our orders to get Ebates to pay out.
We don't shop at Target either..never really did. We however had like $250 in gift cards from our wedding. We never had used them so I believe it was like September/October I went and took the gift cards and traded them in for Disney ones (our store only stocked $50 ones too). I figured might as well it's only been burning a whole in my gift card wallet for 3 1/2 years (at that point) for a place we don't even shop at and we had a Disney trip planned too.

I rarely shop Target either anymore. I added the ruler like twice to trigger ebates and then a few other random school supplies. But I got tired of those piling up so I moved to other things we needed...shoes, jeans, socks, etc. I was spending quite a bit at Target on non-giftcard purchases. Plus, I was in the store once a week or so cause I didn't want to run everything through my .com account. So, I bought groceries and household stuff while in the store (I am not a run around to multiple stores person ;) ). Once Target pulled the rug out from under us, I went back to buying my groceries from Kroger and my clothes from Kohls.

I am sure Target was losing money back then but they have to be losing money now also. Same for ebay. That must be why there is a 10% ebucks promo every other day!

I was able to successfully purchase $500 of Disney gift cards in store today using a Target gift card. The check out lady thought I wouldn't be able to, but called her manager over and the manager said it was ok. The only rule she was aware of was that you couldn't use Target gift cards to purchase Visa and Amex prepaid cards

I was able to successfully purchase $500 of Disney gift cards in store today using a Target gift card. The check out lady thought I wouldn't be able to, but called her manager over and the manager said it was ok. The only rule she was aware of was that you couldn't use Target gift cards to purchase Visa and Amex prepaid cards
Exactly....

OH GOOD! I was so bummed because I just tried to purchase a $100 Target gift card online using 4 $25 Target Gift Cards I earned through Swagbucks. I have used these in store before with no problems, but it has been about a year. When I went to check out I get the message saying you couldn't do that. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to use it in store anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!