car hire prices

sam_rogers

painting with all the colours of the wind
I'm looking at car hire prices for our september trip. We're going for 2 weeks and car hire through Alamo (gold cover plus free sat nav) is coming up at £396. It's come down about £20 from about 1 month ago so I'm just wondering if this is about average for 2 weeks car hire now or if I should wait to book. Thanks :-)

What type of car is it?
We usually pay for the cheapest option of a 3 door chevy or something to that effect but so far we have always got a bigger car because the smaller ones have gone. It's only for 2 of us. Dh almost went in to meltdown when they tried to give us an 8 seater people carrier one year :rotfl:

i book without paying....which means paying a bit more since i'm not paying in advance.....
but then i keep looking...
but typically, alamo prices go up as the date gets closer...

We used Alamo last time with the Brits Guide discount. I paid in advance to get the cheaper deal with no penalty to cancel up till the day before.

I kept checking in the weeks before we went and the prices dropped right down so I cancelled original booking and rebooked.

We booked direct with Hertz last year as Alamo & National wanted silly money to hire from the car centre at the Dolphin.
Off the top of my head we saved over £300 on an SUV for 7 days versus what Alamo & or National were quoting.
We got an Uber from the Yacht Club to the Hertz location at the Hilton Bonnet Creek which cost $7.

i used the brit guide discount, but didn't pay in advance...
i booked about a year in advance and it was lucky i did...
the price went through the roof for the minivan i'd booked...
we needed an 8 seater...
i originally booked it for $1100 for 3 weeks...
by the time august rolled around, the price had gone up to an eye-popping $2600 from alamo and more from every other company (hertz wanted $4600 for it)..

Last edited:
Hi

I've used consolidators in the past (retalcars.com last year) and while there may be a slightly cheaper option say £10 - £20 I always go with Alamo as they do "skip the counter" walking past the long lines of those waiting at the car hire companies desk to do the paperwork straight to a car is worth £20 of anyone's money.

Regard

Paul

We used Alamo last time with the Brits Guide discount. I paid in advance to get the cheaper deal with no penalty to cancel up till the day before.

I kept checking in the weeks before we went and the prices dropped right down so I cancelled original booking and rebooked.

Giny I am in the same situation, The price has dropped £200 with an indipendent(still using Alamo) and £100 with Alamo direct. I went into the modify section and you need to phone them direct was this your experience?

i now do it differently.
i book the pay in orlando option, then the day before we go, i switch to the pay in advance - pay it and also sign up for skip the counter

Holiday Autos saved us a fair bit on a full size SUV with Alamo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!