Career/job ideas?

ezio

Earning My Ears
I am quitting my current job (too physical, plus toxic environment) and need help brainstorming ideas. I will be using the states rehabilitation agency, but they are not all that helpful and it is hard to find a good counselor.

My issues:
-TBI from birth. The doctor practically crushed my skull. I have visual/spatial impairments, plus severe Dyscalculia (have been tested by the state). I can not do math above a 2nd grade level.
-EDS type 3. Pain, fatigue , cannot lift/move heavy things continuously. These are caused by EDS: POTS/Dysautonomia, Chronic Fatigue, Reynauds.

I am an introvert who is good with animals, reading and likes quiet places. So, any ideas?

The obvious traditional job is secretarial or receptionist work of a level where any math can be done using a calculator/computer. Depending on your educational background and what you can get for training through the state agency, there might be types of library work you could do. I don't know if maybe you could do call center work?

You may also want to start brainstorming non-traditional jobs based on your interests and skills. It's hard for me to suggest specifics there because those end up being so personal. Talk to friends and family.

Also, as much as it's probably not something you want to think about, you need to consider whether you can feasibly work at this point. It's not an easy decision to make and certainly getting SSDI or SSI is not easy, but work isn't always an option. I have some of the conditions you have and had to "retire" at 25. I had to fight for it, but now I receive SSDI (if I didn't have outside financial support, I'd probably also receive SSI). I have no idea if your symptoms are severe enough to prevent working enough to support yourself, but I felt I needed suggest the possibility to you. (I really want to change the way society defines people by their paying job and fight the stigma of not being able to work.)

Likes animals - but can you handle them? If so, maybe go back to school and get vet tech certification?

Likes reading - proofreader, etc.

Quiet spaces - can you think of anything you could do from home?

There's probably an online aptitude test you could take to get some more ideas.

Cashier? I am one, plus I have cerebral palsy... It's not tough and I only have a 5th grade math level

Also, as much as it's probably not something you want to think about, you need to consider whether you can feasibly work at this point. It's not an easy decision to make and certainly getting SSDI or SSI is not easy, but work isn't always an option. I have some of the conditions you have and had to "retire" at 25. I had to fight for it, but now I receive SSDI (if I didn't have outside financial support, I'd probably also receive SSI). I have no idea if your symptoms are severe enough to prevent working enough to support yourself, but I felt I needed suggest the possibility to you. (I really want to change the way society defines people by their paying job and fight the stigma of not being able to work.)

But for SSDI you have to have enough credit in the system to be eligible, don't you? How did you manage that by age 25?

But for SSDI you have to have enough credit in the system to be eligible, don't you? How did you manage that by age 25?

There are special rules for younger individuals. Also, there are other types of SSDI that draw on parent's benefits. So if a disabled individual has a parent who is disabled themselves, retired, or has passed and that parent has paid into the SS system, a child can get benefits as an "adult child."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!